Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-30-2016, 09:36 AM   #21
Guru
 
Shoalwaters's Avatar
 
City: Rodney Bay Lagoon
Country: St. Lucia, West Indies
Vessel Name: "Dragon Lady"
Vessel Model: DeFever 41
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 671
I have spent many years working on boats with engine rooms that were badly designed, or not thought out at all. If I have learned anything from all this spelunking, it is that I do better repair/maintenance/installation work if I can stand or sit comfortably while doing it.

When I bought my own boat, a deal breaker was that the engine room must have good access around both engines and decent head-room. Well, everything is a compromise, but I got most of what I wanted. Access to Dragon Lady's engines, genset etc is by opening three hatches in the saloon floor. I thus have good centerline headroom plus air-conditioning. We will not mention that the outboard side of each motor is largely a rumour!.

Fans are great tools and I highly recommend the blower in the picture below. Mine (Amazon - around $60) lives on a dedicated shelf and can be directed just about anywere I happen to be working. Useful for drying wet patches on carpets or upholstery too. If you decide to buy one of these, take note of the dimensions. Mine is quite small at 12" x 12" x 10" but others that look similar are too bulky to be useful or have the outlet near the floor.

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-65570.../dp/B006O6FA22
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blower.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	55746  
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Mike
If all else fails, read the instructions
If it ain't broke, don't fix it
Shoalwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:01 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
sbu22's Avatar
 
City: New Orleans
Country: US
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 473
Shoalwaters - X2 on the carpet dryer fan. Also excellent for maintaining air circulation within the boat when in slip with A/C shutdown. Mine runs 24/7.

I am having a severe case of engineroom envy for you guys with walk-arounds.

About a year ago, I was working alone and contorted into a space outboard of the port main engine, did whatever I came to do, and discovered my retreat (that had been done before), didn't work. Then the lower back cramp set in. It was ugly, but I eventually (obviously) got out.

That was a "come to J moment" for me. Now, I pretty much farm those missions out. Just a matter of acknowledging reality.
__________________

sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:09 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Islanddreamer's Avatar
 
City: Kingsville, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Ride
Vessel Model: Albin 36 D/C Hull 46 Dec 1978
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 172
For deep excursions into the bowels of my boat, the Admiral is on standby in the salon. Years ago I was involved in an accident that limits my range of motion, and being over laden causes a 30 minute job to become a 90 minute one.

Has anyone running a fan like the one Shoalwaters showed above encountered problems by leaving it operate full time? If so are you leaving a hatch open? What has been the net benefit? I have a 110VAC receptacle below deck and this may be an option for keeping air moving below decks.

mike
__________________
Any day aboard is a good day.
Islanddreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:30 AM   #24
TF Site Team
 
Pineapple Girl's Avatar
 
City: San Mateo, CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,138
Matt and I changed the impeller on our starboard engine and even though the access was RIGHT THERE in the middle of the ER it was a HORRIBLE project. We had a mechanic change the port impeller and we have NO IDEA how he actually accessed it to remove it. We are thinking either a trained chimpanzee or a very skinny toddler with exceptional dexterity.
__________________
-Jennifer
Pineapple Girl II 1984 PT 35
San Francisco Bay Area
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:23 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Ka_sea_ta's Avatar
 
City: Puget Sound
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Ka_sea_ta
Vessel Model: 48 Defever
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
It's spacious compared to some. 5'7" headroom forward; slightly less as you move aft. Removing the hatches in the salon increases headroom to about 12 feet .

I also relocated the battery banks that were outboard of the Lehmans to give full engine access.






Damn near the same lay out as the 48... It is nice to have an ER with some room
Ka_sea_ta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:09 PM   #26
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
Matt and I changed the impeller on our starboard engine and even though the access was RIGHT THERE in the middle of the ER it was a HORRIBLE project. We had a mechanic change the port impeller and we have NO IDEA how he actually accessed it to remove it. We are thinking either a trained chimpanzee or a very skinny toddler with exceptional dexterity.
Changing the impeller on my new boat was a week long process. I got the old impeller out with difficulty (bought an impeller puller finally) but then couldn't get the replacement back in. I had a mechanic down to the boat who was pulling the aftercooler and had him try. He couldn't either. I finally bought another impeller and it went in (relatively) easily. Turns out the spare that I had, even with the same factory part number stamped on the rubber, just was too big.

Anyway, changing impellers can be a PIA. However, I think it is important to have a spare and know how to change it should the situation demand. It would be worth trying to do it yourself again next year and see if you can figure out the techniques for making it work out. Of course with twins, the importance of the spare and being able to do it on your own may be less of an issue than for those of us who are numerically challenge in the engine room.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:38 PM   #27
TF Site Team
 
Pineapple Girl's Avatar
 
City: San Mateo, CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Changing the impeller on my new boat was a week long process. I got the old impeller out with difficulty (bought an impeller puller finally) but then couldn't get the replacement back in. I had a mechanic down to the boat who was pulling the aftercooler and had him try. He couldn't either. I finally bought another impeller and it went in (relatively) easily. Turns out the spare that I had, even with the same factory part number stamped on the rubber, just was too big.

Anyway, changing impellers can be a PIA. However, I think it is important to have a spare and know how to change it should the situation demand. It would be worth trying to do it yourself again next year and see if you can figure out the techniques for making it work out. Of course with twins, the importance of the spare and being able to do it on your own may be less of an issue than for those of us who are numerically challenge in the engine room.
our problem was pulling it. there is not enough clearance to get a puller in there! It was HORRIBLE to get out. Just beyond difficult. We do have a spare or two on board so if it came down to it and we HAD to change the starboard one we could attempt it. the port? I truly do not think it would be physically possible for either of us to even reach the pump, let alone get the cover off and try to pull the impeller. I've heard of people taking the pump off to do it but not sure I could reach it to do that, either.
__________________
-Jennifer
Pineapple Girl II 1984 PT 35
San Francisco Bay Area
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:54 PM   #28
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
our problem was pulling it. there is not enough clearance to get a puller in there! It was HORRIBLE to get out. Just beyond difficult. We do have a spare or two on board so if it came down to it and we HAD to change the starboard one we could attempt it. the port? I truly do not think it would be physically possible for either of us to even reach the pump, let alone get the cover off and try to pull the impeller. I've heard of people taking the pump off to do it but not sure I could reach it to do that, either.
Yeah, I had a similar problem. I had to disconnect some hoses to get the puller in place. For me, I think using a different kind of puller would be better. Rather than the classic puller which uses clamps to grab the impeller, I think a threaded bolt in the impeller itself would work better for me. I considered removing my pump, but decided that would be more work.

A tip that can help is to spray the impeller and the inside of the pump liberally with WD40 or similar. Bump the engine to turn the impeller, then try and pull it out. It will slide much more easily. When I did it, I didn't do that and the impeller puller just about turned itself inside out trying to get the impeller out.

I do miss my old Yanmar 4JH4 on the sailboat. The waterpump was facing the front of the engine and the impeller the front of it. I could sit on a stool in my galley and easily change the impeller, pulling it out with a pair of pliers and easily putting the new one in. Of course it was a small 54 hp engine.
__________________

__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012