Old 08-30-2016, 09:36 AM   #21
Guru

City: Rodney Bay Lagoon
Vessel Name: "Dragon Lady"
Vessel Model: DeFever 41
I have spent many years working on boats with engine rooms that were badly designed, or not thought out at all. If I have learned anything from all this spelunking, it is that I do better repair/maintenance/installation work if I can stand or sit comfortably while doing it.

When I bought my own boat, a deal breaker was that the engine room must have good access around both engines and decent head-room. Well, everything is a compromise, but I got most of what I wanted. Access to Dragon Lady's engines, genset etc is by opening three hatches in the saloon floor. I thus have good centerline headroom plus air-conditioning. We will not mention that the outboard side of each motor is largely a rumour!.

Fans are great tools and I highly recommend the blower in the picture below. Mine (Amazon - around $60) lives on a dedicated shelf and can be directed just about anywere I happen to be working. Useful for drying wet patches on carpets or upholstery too. If you decide to buy one of these, take note of the dimensions. Mine is quite small at 12" x 12" x 10" but others that look similar are too bulky to be useful or have the outlet near the floor.

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-65570.../dp/B006O6FA22
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blower.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	55746  

Shoalwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:01 AM   #22

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Shoalwaters - X2 on the carpet dryer fan. Also excellent for maintaining air circulation within the boat when in slip with A/C shutdown. Mine runs 24/7.

I am having a severe case of engineroom envy for you guys with walk-arounds.

About a year ago, I was working alone and contorted into a space outboard of the port main engine, did whatever I came to do, and discovered my retreat (that had been done before), didn't work. Then the lower back cramp set in. It was ugly, but I eventually (obviously) got out.

That was a "come to J moment" for me. Now, I pretty much farm those missions out. Just a matter of acknowledging reality.

sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:09 AM   #23

City: Kingsville, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Ride
Vessel Model: Albin 36 D/C Hull 46 Dec 1978
For deep excursions into the bowels of my boat, the Admiral is on standby in the salon. Years ago I was involved in an accident that limits my range of motion, and being over laden causes a 30 minute job to become a 90 minute one.

Has anyone running a fan like the one Shoalwaters showed above encountered problems by leaving it operate full time? If so are you leaving a hatch open? What has been the net benefit? I have a 110VAC receptacle below deck and this may be an option for keeping air moving below decks.

mike
Old 08-30-2016, 10:30 AM   #24
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Matt and I changed the impeller on our starboard engine and even though the access was RIGHT THERE in the middle of the ER it was a HORRIBLE project. We had a mechanic change the port impeller and we have NO IDEA how he actually accessed it to remove it. We are thinking either a trained chimpanzee or a very skinny toddler with exceptional dexterity.
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:23 AM   #25

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Ka_sea_ta
Vessel Model: 48 Defever
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
It's spacious compared to some. 5'7" headroom forward; slightly less as you move aft. Removing the hatches in the salon increases headroom to about 12 feet .

I also relocated the battery banks that were outboard of the Lehmans to give full engine access.

Damn near the same lay out as the 48... It is nice to have an ER with some room
Ka_sea_ta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:09 PM   #26
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
Matt and I changed the impeller on our starboard engine and even though the access was RIGHT THERE in the middle of the ER it was a HORRIBLE project. We had a mechanic change the port impeller and we have NO IDEA how he actually accessed it to remove it. We are thinking either a trained chimpanzee or a very skinny toddler with exceptional dexterity.
Changing the impeller on my new boat was a week long process. I got the old impeller out with difficulty (bought an impeller puller finally) but then couldn't get the replacement back in. I had a mechanic down to the boat who was pulling the aftercooler and had him try. He couldn't either. I finally bought another impeller and it went in (relatively) easily. Turns out the spare that I had, even with the same factory part number stamped on the rubber, just was too big.

Anyway, changing impellers can be a PIA. However, I think it is important to have a spare and know how to change it should the situation demand. It would be worth trying to do it yourself again next year and see if you can figure out the techniques for making it work out. Of course with twins, the importance of the spare and being able to do it on your own may be less of an issue than for those of us who are numerically challenge in the engine room.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:38 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Changing the impeller on my new boat was a week long process. I got the old impeller out with difficulty (bought an impeller puller finally) but then couldn't get the replacement back in. I had a mechanic down to the boat who was pulling the aftercooler and had him try. He couldn't either. I finally bought another impeller and it went in (relatively) easily. Turns out the spare that I had, even with the same factory part number stamped on the rubber, just was too big.

Anyway, changing impellers can be a PIA. However, I think it is important to have a spare and know how to change it should the situation demand. It would be worth trying to do it yourself again next year and see if you can figure out the techniques for making it work out. Of course with twins, the importance of the spare and being able to do it on your own may be less of an issue than for those of us who are numerically challenge in the engine room.
our problem was pulling it. there is not enough clearance to get a puller in there! It was HORRIBLE to get out. Just beyond difficult. We do have a spare or two on board so if it came down to it and we HAD to change the starboard one we could attempt it. the port? I truly do not think it would be physically possible for either of us to even reach the pump, let alone get the cover off and try to pull the impeller. I've heard of people taking the pump off to do it but not sure I could reach it to do that, either.
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:54 PM   #28
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
our problem was pulling it. there is not enough clearance to get a puller in there! It was HORRIBLE to get out. Just beyond difficult. We do have a spare or two on board so if it came down to it and we HAD to change the starboard one we could attempt it. the port? I truly do not think it would be physically possible for either of us to even reach the pump, let alone get the cover off and try to pull the impeller. I've heard of people taking the pump off to do it but not sure I could reach it to do that, either.
Yeah, I had a similar problem. I had to disconnect some hoses to get the puller in place. For me, I think using a different kind of puller would be better. Rather than the classic puller which uses clamps to grab the impeller, I think a threaded bolt in the impeller itself would work better for me. I considered removing my pump, but decided that would be more work.

A tip that can help is to spray the impeller and the inside of the pump liberally with WD40 or similar. Bump the engine to turn the impeller, then try and pull it out. It will slide much more easily. When I did it, I didn't do that and the impeller puller just about turned itself inside out trying to get the impeller out.

I do miss my old Yanmar 4JH4 on the sailboat. The waterpump was facing the front of the engine and the impeller the front of it. I could sit on a stool in my galley and easily change the impeller, pulling it out with a pair of pliers and easily putting the new one in. Of course it was a small 54 hp engine.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote