Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2014, 06:54 PM   #101
City: Green Cove Springs, Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to bglad
I heard a joke from another surveyor a long time ago about sunk boats. You could tell by the sound of the whining coming from the dock whether an owner had insurance or not. The guys with boats who had insurance were whining about their engines. Whining from the engines running was the sound heard coming from boats that were uninusured...

bglad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:34 PM   #102
City: Duncan Cove, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
We used to say the whining you heard after the airplane was shut down came from the pilots.

"...Tongue tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit..."
Xsbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:24 PM   #103
City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Never hard that one...

We were too busy at the O-club drinking beer and spending money on the ladies while the wrenchturners sweated into the night...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:29 PM   #104
City: Fort Lauderdale
I'm going to say this too.

I don't care how much you trust your agent or your attorney or anyone else. You need to be aware of all the clauses, inclusions, exclusions, and your responsibilities. If there is then something that's not clear to you discuss with the agent. And I mean this for all your policies. I will say that if you haven't previously read one there will in all likelihood be at least one thing that surprises you or that you didn't know and that will make the effort worthwhile.

This isn't mistrusting because legitimate policies may vary and still be fine. You just need to understand it. For instance, do you know how they are going to determine the value? Is it stated value? Fair market value? Lesser of stated or market? And if market is involved, how do they determine it? If you don't agree what rights do you have and what do you have to do? My boat/yacht policy didn't really surprise me in reading but homeowners' policies in South Florida did, especially the differences from one insurer to another.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote