Not a good day to be Cruising NW Vancouver Island

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DDW

Guru
Hurricane force wind warning. Solander Island station currently reporting winds 61 gusting 73 knots. Canadian wave rider buoys all down for some reason.

Interesting. Windy reports 32 knots right now
other stations similar. I will suggest Solander Island station is malfunctioning

Windy is a prediction. The Solander Island is a measurement. Now, Solander Island is positioned to get the worst of it, for sure, station mounted right on top of that peaky little rock. But Herbert Island was reporting 45 gusting 51 this morning so no doubt it's been a little breezy.

Predict Wind gives you a choice of prediction models. The GFS was predicting gusts of 60 knots up there, the ECMWF predicting gusts of 65 knots. Sustained winds only in the 40s.

yes of course there may well be a local condition. But when you look for the nearest stations and they are reporting 1/2 then I suspect a malfunctioning station.
Did you surf this site like I did (in addition to windy)
https://weather.gc.ca/marine/forecast_e.html?mapID=02&siteID=15300
cape St james @ noon, your post #1 time was SSE 23
https://weather.gc.ca/marine/forecast_e.html?mapID=02&siteID=15300
Estevan Point @ noon was ESE 15 gust 28

I can and do interpolate that Solander Island NE 61 gust 73 may be extreme in comparison. To bad Sartine Island is not reporting.

I'd not want to go out and check it when it's reporting 61. This morning only 49 gusting 58. Herbert Island 39 gusting 46, and it is relatively protected. The 8 km grid Predict Wind prognostics shows how local some conditions are expected to be. Solander is a special case, right at the end of the Brooks which can create its own weather. Also the station is on top of a high conical island. Estevan is a relatively calm spot by comparison usually.

Seems like Sartine has been broken for a long time. Wave buoys are now up, around 5m at 10s in the general area which would be sporty.

Once while we were living in Thorne Bay near Ketchikan a TF member sent me a PM inquiring if I was alright. We were on Clarence Strait and there was a small island called Lincoln Rock up the Strait from us measuring a wind speed of 100 knots.

It was only a little breezy in Thorne Bay.

I’ve been on the ferry going from Ketchikan to Prince of Wales Is whereas if I had known it was going to be as rough as it was I may have opted to go another day. So It does get rough out there. The worst part of that crossing was the strong smell of vomit.

Last edited:
It is a bad day to attempt rounding Cape Caution. West Sea Otter reporting 15.4 ft waves on a 12 second period. It is quieting down from earlier readings though.

Solander is not malfunctioning it is routinely much stronger at that location. ( I used to aviation weather brief out of port hardy). The record for solander while I worked there was 109kts before it stopped reporting. For speeds over 99 kts the stations add 500 degrees to direction ie 120 at 109 is coded 620/09. It’s rare but it happens.

Back
Top Bottom