Northwest Passage 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Mr. g. WHEW! Thanks very much for that but no thanks...Way too adventurous for THIS boater who finds navigating through the maze of our equivalent to your Woolworths challenging enough.

Great story.
I think I had read the first part a couple years ago, when they had to leave the boat. That sort of dampened my desire, but the last 8 months of hot weather has made me start to think...

I do wonder about a few things. A sail boat doesn't seem that well suited to me. I wonder why their radar was not more effective. I can adjust my old Raymarine to see wave tops. Also, I only travel with the range at 6 nm when I am in the middle of the ocean and don't expect to see anything.
In busy, or close waters, I keep it between 1/2 m to 1.5 nm depending. What's the point of seeing what could take a hour to hit?

I'm now thinking again of avoiding the Indian ocean and there are only two ways to do that. I do think that the Northeast Passage above Russia will be more ice free in general.
But I'd need to find a Russian who wants to do this trip.
I'll have to think about the abrasiveness of ice. I'd need another paint job. Back to Ireland I suppose!

Richard

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom