Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-29-2014, 02:16 PM   #1
Guru
 
Conrad's Avatar
 
City: Calgary
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,553
Northern Marine Incident

This just released...

PRESS RELEASE
NORTHERN MARINE
90-ft Vessel Launch
On Sunday, May 18, 2014, New World Yacht Builders LLC (DBA Northern Marine) suffered a major accident during the launch of its new 90’ expedition yacht, as the yacht capsized onto its port side during the launch and settled to the bottom of the launch area. Fortunately, the experienced master and crew responded to the peril professionally and all aboard escaped, with only two employees suffering minor cuts. There was no property damage to the surrounding launch area and potential environmental contamination was negated as a result of instant response to avoid possible fuel leakage, of which there was none.
Since the casualty, there has been much speculation as to what happened, often with little or no supporting evidence. Northern Marine is cooperating with the United States Coast Guard in its investigation into incident.
Northern Marine has launch more than 35 vessels, ranging from 57 to 151 foot motor yachts, with all of its trawler models having been launched using transport dollies at the same ramp where the accident occurred on the 18th. Northern Marine continues to have complete confidence in its trawler designs, all of which have been tank tested and passed the same United States Coast Guard (USCG) stability standards applied to commercial fishing vessels operating in the North Pacific. Northern Marine trawlers have safely sailed to destinations throughout world, such as the 75-foot Starship that successfully completed a 1000 day, 78,000 mile journey to explore parts the world rarely seen by mankind.
Northern Marine believes the 90 foot yacht involved in the launch accident to be no exception. Since the accident, the project naval architect/Professional Engineer has confirmed that the yacht, as designed, had adequate stability with the amount of ballast aboard at the time of launch, provided that “severe heeling moments” were not induced during the launch. Unfortunately, it appears that just such a severe heeling moment did occur during the launch. While investigations as to the cause of the capsizing are continuing, the physical evidence on, and adjacent to, the launch ramp suggests that the dolly carrying the weight of the port stern of the yacht may have suddenly dropped off the edge of the boat ramp during the launch, causing the vessel to experience a sudden list to port from which it could not recover in its light condition for launch.
As noted above, the official USCG investigation continues and Northern Marine will cooperate in those investigations to their conclusion. Northern Marine is also working closely with the yacht’s purchaser and their insurance underwriters to address the losses resulting from the accident.
Northern Marine wishes to express its heartfelt appreciation for its many employees that contributed their talents to the construction of the yacht.
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Conrad
Berthed in
Campbell River BC
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:20 PM   #2
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,924
wouldn't surprise me...just would love to know what flooding if any occurred and if any residual water was causing it to stay unstable when in the slings.
__________________

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:24 PM   #3
Guru
 
Conrad's Avatar
 
City: Calgary
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
...and if any residual water was causing it to stay unstable when in the slings.
That is the question that comes to mind after reading this release.
__________________
Conrad
Berthed in
Campbell River BC
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:48 PM   #4
Guru
 
Edelweiss's Avatar
 
City: PNW
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,834
I spoke with one of their contractors Monday and he says NM is still in business at the present time. But they did lay off their construction crew, which is typically what they do when there are no boats to build. I also see there are people working at and coming and going from their facility. So maybe there is still life in the company?

"Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated!!"

(Mark Twain's response to New York Times publishing his obituary.)
__________________
Larry B
Careful . . .I Have a Generator and I'm not afraid to use it !
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:51 PM   #5
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,924
Good to hear...
Hate to hear the demise of any boatbuilder...unless deserving...
I'll wait till the "best of one's knowledge" facts are in before making judgement.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:40 PM   #6
Guru
 
City: Georgia
Country: USA
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 952
People in suits are gathering as we speak to decide what the facts are that they'll tell you.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:52 PM   #7
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
People in suits are gathering as we speak to decide what the facts are that they'll tell you.
Thankfully I've worn both USCG and civilian suits that would be making those decisions ....so I can read between the lines.....

Thankfully almost all accident reports contain enough facts to steer the truth in the right direction though not always to the right conclusion...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member
 
Ghostrider42's Avatar
 
City: Vesty
Country: Iceland
Vessel Name: GhostriderIII
Vessel Model: 28m ocean tug
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 81
This is major reason in our family's boatbuilding business we always used a marine railway. Whether one on our property or one at another facility. Ocassionally, we'd use a travel-lift and sling for the wood hull boats - holding them in position while the boards swelled.
__________________
Capt Freddie
M/V Ghostrider III
28m ocean tug, DD671NA, keel cooled, dry stack
Ghostrider42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:59 PM   #9
Guru
 
Northern Spy's Avatar
 
City: Powell River, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
wouldn't surprise me...just would love to know what flooding if any occurred and if any residual water was causing it to stay unstable when in the slings.
The KIRO interview with one of the guys who was pulled from the boat, mentioned that "the water had started to rush in."

The lazarette door does seem to be open when she initially started her way down the ramp.

It does appear that there was no righting arm whatsoever at the angle of heel when she was launched. Whether it was due to inadequate light ship ballasting, free surface effect from in-flooding, dolly dropping off of ramp, unaccounted for design changes, or I'd guess, a little bit of everything.

It would be interesting to see if they did (while in the slings) or are are going to do an inclining test. Without an actual inclining test, it will be just speculation.

Although I am not particularly fond of this boat, I do think Northern Marine makes a striking yacht. I hope they weather this storm out.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:42 PM   #10
Grand Vizier
 
Delfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,497
On the prior thread, it was reported that when the slings were loosened after pumping, the vessel began to roll over again. If true, whatever anyone says the boat is dangerously unstable. If false, then the ingress of water from an open ER door as alleged could be the issue, although that was not noted in the press release. Either way, the USCG report will sort it out.
__________________
Delfin
"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis." - Jack Handy
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:54 PM   #11
Guru
 
MurrayM's Avatar
 
City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,329
Lotsa bubbles from rapidly escaping air / rapidly inflowing water on the video, well before it went over...
__________________
"The most interesting path between two points is not a straight line" Murray Minchin
MurrayM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:15 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
DCBD's Avatar
 
City: Sidney BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Our Island
Vessel Model: KK Manatee
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 202
Lotsa bubbles. That seems odd to me, if the water is coming in wouldn't the air just be displaced and exhaust taking the easiest route out. Like an open hull vent or something. Just sayin.
DCBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:51 PM   #13
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,182
The press release is nothing but self serving babble. Stand up and speak. Someone other than Wes. Fact is for whatever reason, Northern screwed up badly. Doesn't matter the cause, it's their fault. Then the closed the doors, told all employees to go home. Is their rustling around their facility? Yes. But are they doing anything to finish the partially constructed boats there? No. Now even word leaking they launched because the owner had big plans of using it this year. Well, of course he did. But why did they launch that day, then close the doors? Could it be that the real push for the launch was a progress payment they'd receive?

Some think they're a huge builder. Just over 35 boats in their history. Typical year is two. And long before this incident their were multiple pending suits against them in Superior Court. Easy to see and verify if you just go to the Superior Court site for Skagit county. They've let their customers, their employees, and likely their vendors down. But then this isn't their first time closing.

They say wait for the USCG report but then they try to diffuse any blame of themselves by stating a cause. Fine to defend the dollies. They aren't the only ones who do so. But then don't overlook that in a sling, it wouldn't have turned and sunk. The cause the ramp then? Well, check the ramp out before this. It's common knowledge it only is solid a certain distance. That's a reason they probably chose high tide. If you want to be a stand up company then speak to all the issues, talk about the employees, the reason for closing, and how the owners of this boat and the others on the lot will get their boats or money back. Don't issue a press release this many days later. Have anyone heard a single word from the owners of the company? I sure haven't.

And Conrad, can you please post a link as to where that release can be found online as I've searched and can't locate it? Or is it just in the hands of a few who are posting it on forums?
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:58 PM   #14
Guru
 
Northern Spy's Avatar
 
City: Powell River, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,672
The press release is on their Facebook page. It is also on PassageMaker's e- newsletter.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:22 PM   #15
Guru
 
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
The press release is nothing but self serving babble. Stand up and speak. Someone other than Wes. Fact is for whatever reason, Northern screwed up badly. Doesn't matter the cause, it's their fault. Then the closed the doors, told all employees to go home. Is their rustling around their facility? Yes. But are they doing anything to finish the partially constructed boats there? No. Now even word leaking they launched because the owner had big plans of using it this year. Well, of course he did. But why did they launch that day, then close the doors? Could it be that the real push for the launch was a progress payment they'd receive?

Some think they're a huge builder. Just over 35 boats in their history. Typical year is two. And long before this incident their were multiple pending suits against them in Superior Court. Easy to see and verify if you just go to the Superior Court site for Skagit county. They've let their customers, their employees, and likely their vendors down. But then this isn't their first time closing.

They say wait for the USCG report but then they try to diffuse any blame of themselves by stating a cause. Fine to defend the dollies. They aren't the only ones who do so. But then don't overlook that in a sling, it wouldn't have turned and sunk. The cause the ramp then? Well, check the ramp out before this. It's common knowledge it only is solid a certain distance. That's a reason they probably chose high tide. If you want to be a stand up company then speak to all the issues, talk about the employees, the reason for closing, and how the owners of this boat and the others on the lot will get their boats or money back. Don't issue a press release this many days later. Have anyone heard a single word from the owners of the company? I sure haven't.

And Conrad, can you please post a link as to where that release can be found online as I've searched and can't locate it? Or is it just in the hands of a few who are posting it on forums?
Sooo...

Are you the owner of one of the boats not yet completed or perhaps the broker representing them?

I ask because you seem to be the only person posting to these threads on 2 forums with such a passion. The rest of us just seem to have a passive morbid curiosity about the event.
__________________
Craig

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:25 PM   #16
Guru
 
Northern Spy's Avatar
 
City: Powell River, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
I ask because you seem to be the only person posting to these threads on 2 forums with such a passion. The rest of us just seem to have a passive morbid curiosity about the event.
That's because Marin doesn't participate anymore. He was passionate about everything...
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:55 PM   #17
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Sooo...

Are you the owner of one of the boats not yet completed or perhaps the broker representing them?

I ask because you seem to be the only person posting to these threads on 2 forums with such a passion. The rest of us just seem to have a passive morbid curiosity about the event.
No, I'm not an owner or in any way related or financially involved or impacted. I just happen to have more information on the way they've been conducting business than others, although a good bit of that is publicly available. The history of Northern and previous closures and bankruptcy are also public knowledge.

I also have observed their actions in this and many things I see are things I've seen many times in business. And I simply follow logic, as to how the sinking led to them immediately telling the employees they were closed and their jobs were gone.

As to morbid curiosity, I'm actually one of the few not to express an opinion as to which of the many possibilities or which combination led to the sinking. Stability of the boat, dollies, stabilizer, open engine door, windows below water line, off end of ramp, I don't know. But either way it was their fault. Do you believe the buyer of that boat will get all his money back?

I actually believe they built a good boat, excluding this one on which I don't think anyone knows. But when I see posts talking about their hundreds of boats or what a great company they were, that's simply in error.

I feel for all those damaged by the way things have happened, the employees, vendors and customers. Was the builder damaged? Well, only if they failed to carry proper insurance. If they had it properly insured then they suffered no financial loss. If they suffered loss, then it's for not insuring. Or perhaps for already collecting payments in excess of recoverable losses. I don't know. But again one tragedy doesn't sink a solid company. And a solid company doesn't shut things down immediately in this type situation.

As to this boat, it was already planned to be listed for resell. Oh and the buyers of it, over a year ago, chose to place a lien on all the equipment on it.

There are many builders who conduct their business the right way, who have never once been sued, who have never declared chapter 7 bankruptcy, then key people and prior owners buy the assets and restart. I feel for the innocent people harmed and suffering losses.

As to asking for the link or where the release was found, I simply wanted to go to the source to see if there was any context or comment on who sent it. I am trying to know the facts as opposed to the supposition.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:56 PM   #18
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
The press release is on their Facebook page. It is also on PassageMaker's e- newsletter.
Thanks. Google didn't lead me to either place. Maybe operator error.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:14 PM   #19
Guru
 
Conrad's Avatar
 
City: Calgary
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
And Conrad, can you please post a link as to where that release can be found online as I've searched and can't locate it? Or is it just in the hands of a few who are posting it on forums?
I simply lifted it from their facebook page, which anyone can access, but only if you like them.
__________________
Conrad
Berthed in
Campbell River BC
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:29 PM   #20
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
I simply lifted it from their facebook page, which anyone can access, but only if you like them.
Ah.....and hence my failure to see it...lol. Thanks for posting it. There have been several articles today on the local news in the area. Funny how several days with nothing and then a good bit today.

I will probably see the boat in person in about 11 days although I imagine the photos show it better than I'll be able to from the boat or marina there. I can imagine the boat in limbo for a very long time. It's a shame that no effort was made or could be made to salvage the engines or any of the equipment. Obviously the norm would have been to have raised it and immediately set to work doing so before oxidation and rust completely destroyed them.
__________________

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012