Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-06-2014, 08:21 PM   #61
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,909
My point is only that stability at launch is not always stability for sea.....

It may have been so unstable even in dead calm, controlled conditions that someone will get the finger pointed at them....

I just learned in all my safety training...if you ain't part of the investigation team...the chances you know enough to form an opinion is a dangerous assumption.
__________________
Advertisement

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:25 PM   #62
Guru
 
Edelweiss's Avatar
 
City: PNW
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
I haven't seen any activity on the vessel at all, so I assume her interior is unsalveagable, although I heard they had pickled the engines.
That's what I heard too. I hope they get on it soon!!
__________________

__________________
Larry B
Careful . . .I Have a Generator and I'm not afraid to use it !
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:32 PM   #63
Grand Vizier
 
Delfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
My point is only that stability at launch is not always stability for sea.....

It may have been so unstable even in dead calm, controlled conditions that someone will get the finger pointed at them....

I just learned in all my safety training...if you ain't part of the investigation team...the chances you know enough to form an opinion is a dangerous assumption.
Or you can read the stability report and learn quite a bit. Or not.

Then again, she didn't exhibit a lack of stability at sea but in the mill pond you referred to, so it may not actually be necessary to be part of an investigation team to conclude that she wasn't stable at launch, what with her rolling over and sinking and all.
__________________
Delfin
"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis." - Jack Handy
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:34 PM   #64
Grand Vizier
 
Delfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
That's what I heard too. I hope they get on it soon!!
With the lawsuits, the problem is that there may be no clear "they" to get on it until the flit stops hitting the shan.
__________________
Delfin
"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis." - Jack Handy
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:40 PM   #65
Guru
 
Xsbank's Avatar
 
City: Pender Harbour, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,447
I don't know anything about stability tables but I've played with enough rubber ducks in enough bathtubs to know when it looks like there isn't enough boat under that boat. It looks like a good river boat underneath but only half as wide. It might float upright with about 3, maybe 4 more feet of draught underneath and some ballast and then maybe those windows will be above water most of the time.
__________________
Don't believe everything that you think.
Xsbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:42 PM   #66
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Or you can read the stability report and learn quite a bit. Or not.

Then again, she didn't exhibit a lack of stability at sea but in the mill pond you referred to, so it may not actually be necessary to be part of an investigation team to conclude that she wasn't stable at launch, what with her rolling over and sinking and all.
I'll concede I haven't read it and probably won't as it's so far down my priority list...well...I may if there's an executive summary.

But I know that if something else affected stability at launch...the absolute stability of the design in it's final stage is meaningless except to the poor bugger responsible for launching.

if it was unstable at rest with no external influencing factors (bubbles be dammed I guess) then some designer has a lot to explain.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:49 PM   #67
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,909
If this is what I supposed to read...

The link in post 59 from the engineering company says this "

It is recommended that partial ballasting be done currently, with final ballasting for trim and desired waterline to be performed at launch. "

I must have missed the part where they said more ballast before launch.....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:02 PM   #68
Guru
 
Edelweiss's Avatar
 
City: PNW
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
With the lawsuits, the problem is that there may be no clear "they" to get on it until the flit stops hitting the shan.
My uncle was in the business of buying insurance salvages. Once the litigation and insurance companies were done, that's generally what you would get. Fuel tanks emptied, engines and transmission, flushed and filled with diesel and the hull full of sand and debris. The rest of the boat was in "as sunk" condition. Sometimes his shop crews would open the hull up to power wash and shovel the debris out of them, before they started rehabbing them.
__________________
Larry B
Careful . . .I Have a Generator and I'm not afraid to use it !
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:12 PM   #69
Senior Member
 
DCBD's Avatar
 
City: Sidney BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Our Island
Vessel Model: KK Manatee
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
If this is what I supposed to read...

The link in post 59 from the engineering company says this "

It is recommended that partial ballasting be done currently, with final ballasting for trim and desired waterline to be performed at launch. "

I must have missed the part where they said more ballast before launch.....
It looks like the lawyers will have a field day trying to define that comment. They way I read it, it isn't saying to add any additional ballast after launch either. To me it could be, and probably will be argued either way. It also doesn't give any recommendation for how much ballast should be in the boat during launch (or does it, I didn't read the report).
DCBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:17 PM   #70
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCBD View Post
It looks like the lawyers will have a field day trying to define that comment. They way I read it, it isn't saying to add any additional ballast after launch either. To me it could be, and probably will be argued either way. It also doesn't give any recommendation for how much ballast should be in the boat during launch (or does it, I didn't read the report).
Not from my background...they would have DEFINITELY said add it before and where to put it (at least approximately) if that was the case.

The whole point of adding it later (even a known exact amount to float on her waterline) is left off to accommodate last minute alterations, additions, subtractions and then placed to accommodate ALL the trim necessary...not just final stability.

Even reading that link I'm no closer to knowing what happened than what I posted before about letting an investigation team do it's job looking at all the angles...not bit and pieces that dribble along.

The report in the link is more of an executive summary (2 pages at most I think) so it's a quick read...unless there's another report I didn't see.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:29 PM   #71
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,162
There will be lawyers but ultimately there is nothing to be won except insurance proceeds. New World (operating as Northern) has no assets. They are essentially judgement proof. Now the property insurers may go after any business liability insurance and buyer's insurer after builder's. There may be all sorts of litigation, but the only real asset is insurance proceeds and we don't know how much of that there is. Insurers are very slow to pay when the policy holder is out of business.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:31 PM   #72
Grand Vizier
 
Delfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
If this is what I supposed to read...

The link in post 59 from the engineering company says this "

It is recommended that partial ballasting be done currently, with final ballasting for trim and desired waterline to be performed at launch. "

I must have missed the part where they said more ballast before launch.....
You seem to know what the definition of 'partial' is, and whether it was done, based on your comment.

Since you haven't read the report (yet oddly have very strong opinions on the subject), I can help you with a more informed definition. If you look at Appendix 2, you will note that this lists the weight of various components of the ship as WEIGHED during the study, meaning what was in existence at the time Roddan did their study. So, when they summarize in their cover letter their observations with the statement that "partial ballasting be done", they are referring to adding some portion of the needed 38,000# of additional ballast prior to launch. Now I have no clue how much ballast if any was added, or where it was added prior to launch, but what I can say is that whatever definition "partial" meant to the engineer, what was done wasn't enough because THE BOAT ROLLED OVER AND SANK. Nowhere in the report do they indicate what the righting arm measurements of the vessel would be at the time she was weighed. They do not suggest, nor did they opine, on whether the boat would float as ballasted when they did their study. If they had, they would likely have measured that she would capsize at 15% heel angle, which is precisely what she did. They did note that it was ballasted to less than 35% of the total required for final stability.

Or perhaps I am jumping to uninformed conclusions after observing the boat on its side 10 seconds after launch.
__________________
Delfin
"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis." - Jack Handy
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:36 PM   #73
Grand Vizier
 
Delfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Not from my background...they would have DEFINITELY said add it before and where to put it (at least approximately) if that was the case.

The whole point of adding it later (even a known exact amount to float on her waterline) is left off to accommodate last minute alterations, additions, subtractions and then placed to accommodate ALL the trim necessary...not just final stability.

Even reading that link I'm no closer to knowing what happened than what I posted before about letting an investigation team do it's job looking at all the angles...not bit and pieces that dribble along.

The report in the link is more of an executive summary (2 pages at most I think) so it's a quick read...unless there's another report I didn't see.
Uh, no. The linked report is 10 pages long. Really, if you don't take the time to acquaint yourself with the facts, and when given a set of those facts can't navigate them, one really has to wonder where your opinions do come from.
__________________
Delfin
"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis." - Jack Handy
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:39 PM   #74
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,162
I wouldn't put too much in the Roddan report done nearly a year before the rolling and sinking. Even at Northern's snail build pace surely the boat changed during that time.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:42 PM   #75
Guru
 
Conrad's Avatar
 
City: Calgary
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,553
You know, when I look at the drawings of the Grand Banks 54, I cannot see how it could possibly stay right side up. But somehow it does.

Grand Banks Yachts - 54 Heritage EU Overview
__________________
Conrad
Berthed in
Campbell River BC
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:52 PM   #76
Grand Vizier
 
Delfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCBD View Post
It looks like the lawyers will have a field day trying to define that comment. They way I read it, it isn't saying to add any additional ballast after launch either. To me it could be, and probably will be argued either way. It also doesn't give any recommendation for how much ballast should be in the boat during launch (or does it, I didn't read the report).
The summary is based on the calculations done, and detailed in the report. Two sets of stability calculations were done and were based on adding the needed ballast to what she was when weighed compared to what she was without the added ballast. That is clear if you simply read the thing - it's why they add the 17 LT of ballast in appendix 3 and highlight it, then tell you what the stability will be. Roddan noted what was needed to make the boat seaworthy, and recommended that in addition to the 20,000# already there that additional ballasting up to the addition of another 38,000# be done prior to launch. As I said, unless someone from NM opens up, which is unlikely, we won't know how much, if any ballast was added, but it doesn't take Albert Einstein to figure out whatever they did add, it wasn't enough or if added was in the wrong place. Otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation.
__________________
Delfin
"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis." - Jack Handy
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:55 PM   #77
Grand Vizier
 
Delfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I wouldn't put too much in the Roddan report done nearly a year before the rolling and sinking. Even at Northern's snail build pace surely the boat changed during that time.
If you look at the report you will see that they include items not yet on the boat, but with estimated weights included in their calculations, so the report is relevant. Plus, it was mostly joinery to be added, and if you look at the weights, they aren't that significant, if time consuming to build and install.
__________________
Delfin
"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis." - Jack Handy
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:04 PM   #78
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
If you look at the report you will see that they include items not yet on the boat, but with estimated weights included in their calculations, so the report is relevant. Plus, it was mostly joinery to be added, and if you look at the weights, they aren't that significant, if time consuming to build and install.
Perhaps, but the report was in July, so when was the study actually done? And this boat's design seemed to be changing all the time along the way.

The Roddan report was really quite non committal. They were balancing a long term relationship with Northern. It was a rather boilerplate kind of "looks ok so far, recommend you have us check more later." Also who knows how closely the work done followed the drawings. Builders in financial trouble might do a lot of things different than drawn.

I have no idea. All I know 100% is boat rolled, then sank. Then series of comments misleading the public are initiated by the builder. And builder had problems long before this.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:41 PM   #79
Grand Vizier
 
Delfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Perhaps, but the report was in July, so when was the study actually done? And this boat's design seemed to be changing all the time along the way.

The Roddan report was really quite non committal. They were balancing a long term relationship with Northern. It was a rather boilerplate kind of "looks ok so far, recommend you have us check more later." Also who knows how closely the work done followed the drawings. Builders in financial trouble might do a lot of things different than drawn.

I have no idea. All I know 100% is boat rolled, then sank. Then series of comments misleading the public are initiated by the builder. And builder had problems long before this.
Again, the report lists what items were in place, and what were not. Those not in place are few and don't weigh much, so the report gives some insight into what went wrong. It would have been nice if they stated "add 5 LT at point 'x' prior to launch", but NM could have done that with the simple expedient of adding fuel in the belly tanks. But didn't, apparently, and the only reason I can think of why not is because they were at the load limit with the launch gear they used. I have no clue what they were thinking, but as you say, what we can conclude is that whatever they thought or did, it didn't prevent this fiasco.

I read this like any other engineering report - a set of calculations based on what is known with a concrete recommendation on what needs to be done to meet the design objective. This even includes the weight of the stonework which I read someplace was added late in the game and that some speculated contributed to the instability. Since it didn't weigh much and is included in the calcs, it's addition is pretty immaterial.
__________________
Delfin
"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis." - Jack Handy
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:48 PM   #80
Senior Member
 
DCBD's Avatar
 
City: Sidney BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Our Island
Vessel Model: KK Manatee
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Not from my background...they would have DEFINITELY said add it before and where to put it (at least approximately) if that was the case.

The whole point of adding it later (even a known exact amount to float on her waterline) is left off to accommodate last minute alterations, additions, subtractions and then placed to accommodate ALL the trim necessary...not just final stability.

Even reading that link I'm no closer to knowing what happened than what I posted before about letting an investigation team do it's job looking at all the angles...not bit and pieces that dribble along.

The report in the link is more of an executive summary (2 pages at most I think) so it's a quick read...unless there's another report I didn't see.
Yes I agree with you that we should let the experts complete the investigation and we can talk the heck out of it then. But I also think that most people on the forum have already got some kind of opinion or idea what happened and there's nothing dangerous about anyone posting it. I also agree as someone posted earlier that it's most likely not one thing but a series of things that went wrong.

In my background.... if a statement is worded without saying something DEFINITELY, like this portion of the report, it's going to be tore apart by lawyers. Regardless of what might or might not be considered common practice. No doubt there are a lot more reports that we would never get to see, and there's no reason we should ever see them.

Someone must have made a calculation that concluded that 30,000 lbs of ballast was going to keep that boat upright and floating, and for all we know it may have been enough but just not properly distributed. I personally cannot believe it was a guess or estimate. Maybe the crews messed up and didn't put in as much as they were told or favored the port side, all this would come up in the final report, which I'm sure is at least a year or more away.
__________________

DCBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012