Northern Gulf Coast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Conall63

Vessel Name
Homegrown
Vessel Make
Roberts TY 43
Greetings all,

What harbors could anyone recommend around the Perdido/Pensacola area to keep my boat this October-December?

Thanks,

Conall

Cheapest place with good facilities is Barbers. It's also the most remote. My personal favorite is Palifox marina in the heart of downtown Pensacola.

Cheapest place with good facilities is Barbers. It's also the most remote. My personal favorite is Palifox marina in the heart of downtown Pensacola.

I kept my Blackfin at Orange Beach, AL for about 10 years. It was at Sportsmans Marina. Orange Beach Marina is also good. Very convenient to Perdido Pass, and great fishing.

Palafox is nice, right in Pensacola. You might look at Bahia Mar on Bayou Chico I'm not sure if they can accomodate your size boat though.

I am at Homeport , Gulf Shores,,, Palafox is VERY nice. What type of marina are you looking for. Near town, near beach, Pensacola Yacht club has a swimming pool.

This is a bit like asking what the best boat is, without knowing what you're looking for. We've stopped at Palafox several times and always been pleased and we've also stopped at Orange Beach and were very pleasantly surprised at the amenities there. Orange Beach also has a boat yard, Saunders. While we haven't used them, they've been around since 1959 or so and have a good reputation. Oh, and Marina Management which runs Palafox does also have a second marina in the same harbor behind some condominiums, Baylen. It just has docks, no amenities.

Above recommendations are good. Having a home in Gulf Shores, we have visited all the noted marinas by land and boat. I have had repairs and updates by Saunders, and was pleased, but you will pay for what you get ! Zekes and Bear Point are two other possibilities. Just anchor out from Pirate's Cove ( one of last true "joints" on coast) and enjoy !

Thanks all.

I'm relocating to Cape Coral Fl from our home in New Richmond, OH. Sometime around mid October, I'm moving the boat from Ohio to somewhere around the Perdido area.

For a long thanksgiving break, were going to move a little further east and explore the area. During part of the kids winter school break in December, were going to take a week and move more east , and stop in the Carabelle area. From Carabelle I'm going to work out my plan on finishing the trip to Cape Coral.

So for the two or three harbor spots I'm wanting to find, reasonable price without many amenities are my goal since we won't be staying on board for too long. A decent run operation that would keep an eye on my boat while I'm away. All my kids care about is WiFi.

We're 48' x 15' x 5'. If you ignore the pulpit. I'm 46.

I appreciate all of the advice I can get, and hoping my long winded post here gives a general idea of my plan and what I'm going to need.

Conall

Barbers will run you around $400 or so per month plus power. Price depends on how long you stay. Power carries a $20 minimum per month. Been thinking about moving our boat there in October so I had checked into it. Since Barbers is tucked into a smaller bay area just north of the intercostal it's well protected. They also have floating docks and a nice yard with travel lift. Decent security walking the docks. They also have WiFi.

Due south of Barbers across the GICW is Bear Point Marina. Just straight docks there with limited space. Lots of wave action due to the high traffic zone. It does however have a restaurant and more local access to attractions since its at the east end of Orange Beach on Canal road.

Orange Beach marina is a nice place. It is however a fair distance from the GICW but has direct access to the Gulf through Perdido Pass. It is also the closest to attractions groceries, etc.

All of the other marinas in Pensacola or the Orange Beach area will run you over the $500 per month range. All charge electrical power usage extra.

Last edited:
Thanks cap john.

Barbers sounds what I'm looking for. I'm going to call today and see what's available.
Even though I won't be there until late October, I think anyplace I decide on, I'd rather start paying for space now to guarantee a spot available when I need it. Do north gulf coast marinas start filling up over the winter the same way southern Florida marinas do?

Conall

The marinas that fill up the most will be the ones close to the amenities. Orange Beach Marina, Sportsman's, The Wharf and Home Port Marina are much closer to where the action is so they would be the first to fill up so to speak. I don't think however any will truly fill up. More of a transients stop over point. I will say last year I saw more winter over vessels than any other years since Katrina and Ivan.

Are you planing on some type of transportation while your down? Remember Barbers is somewhat isolated where it is without a car or something.

Last edited:
Conall63, I have a friend with a private dock in Pensacola that may be available. Not sure how big your boat is but my 55 overall Bayliner fit there comfortably. PM me if interested and I will see if I can track him down for you. He is up in Alaska at the moment.

Thanks dimer. I sent to a pm as I'm for sure interested in a private dock.

Transportation won't be too big an issue cap John as I'll be too and from the boat only a couple of times. The wife will probably drive up from Cape Coral to get me.. The two friends who are helping me bring her down the rivers will be leaving once we get to wherever it is we're going to end up at.

I kind of like the way that last sentenced sounds. It sounds sort of like freedom, which is one of the principals that draws me to trawlers.

Conall

Barber is a different kind of guy. His family was in the dairy business and he has taken that money and used it for many projects. One of his biggest is the Barber race track in Birmingham Al. Both Porche and BMW teach driving schools there. He has also taken most of the land north of the marina and turned it into an interesting venue. There is a full size replica of the inner circle of Stone Hinge. A knight in armor is hidden somewhere in the woods along with many full size replicas of dinosaurs and of course the lady in the lake (part of the marina docking area). Many hiking trails will keep you busy in the spring and fall of the year.

PM me when you get down our way. If you need any help let me know and I'll do my best to help you out.

"Barber is a different kind of guy. His family was in the dairy business and he has taken that money and used it for many projects. One of his biggest is the Barber race track in Birmingham Al. Both Porche and BMW teach driving schools there."

I competed in an SCCA race at Barber MS Park and got stuck in a gravel trap early in the race. After the frustration subsided and acceptance set in:rolleyes: I gazed around and notice all the metal sculptures in view from my position. The wait for the marshalls to pull my car out turned out to be a cultural experience:D. He certainly put the family fortune to great use.

I called Barber's today and was told 10 per foot on a monthly , which is good in my book. I also asked about available space in six weeks, and they told me not to worry as they have plenty available.

Between a possible private space or for sure harbor space at Barber I feel good about the end of my first legg of our trip.

Viewing the northern gulf coast through active captain shows the area to have a lot of marinas. I can't wait to get down there. A friend of mine told me cruising the northern gulf coast on my way to southern Florida is going to be a big mistake as I' won't want to leave the northern gulf, and will have too much regret for choosing southern Florida .

Conall

I called Barber's today and was told 10 per foot on a monthly , which is good in my book. I also asked about available space in six weeks, and they told me not to worry as they have plenty available.

Between a possible private space or for sure harbor space at Barber I feel good about the end of my first legg of our trip.

Viewing the northern gulf coast through active captain shows the area to have a lot of marinas. I can't wait to get down there. A friend of mine told me cruising the northern gulf coast on my way to southern Florida is going to be a big mistake as I' won't want to leave the northern gulf, and will have too much regret for choosing southern Florida .

Conall

Your friend was right, and you won't find better seafood. I pulled my Blackfin out of Orange Beach only because I got tired of the hurricanes.

We've used Bear Point and the Wharf in the last couple of years.

Bear Point is on the rustic side in a quiet residential neighborhood setting. It's a ten minute or so drive to the Highway 90 strip where a lot of the nightlife/restaurants are located. As Capt. Jon correctly observed, it's subject to a good bit of wave action when there's wind and a lot of wakes from the ICW. Good people and staff, but not fancy.

The Wharf has pretty new and excellent facilities, good staff, part of a shopping center/entertainment development (The Wharf). The way the slip utilities and piers are configured, it forces most boats into a stern-in tie up. Pretty much everything you need is right there except grocery/hardware, but that's a short drive down Canal Road.

Zeke's is in the middle of everything, good facilities and staff. The only reason we don't use it is the every day oh-dark-thrty crankup of dozens of fishing boats. Interrupts our late sleeping vacation routine.

Thanks. Much appreciated advice on what looks like is a great area.

Conall

Back
Top Bottom