North swell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewbieFromNJ

Vessel Name
TBD
Vessel Make
TBD
Last year my family and I did a 6 day course on power boating in BVI. I am going back this year for my first charter. There is now a north swell hitting the Virgin Islands. I like to view the Sandy Dollar we cam which usually shows flat seas and and fair share of boats limited in sight by the web cam. Today no boats and rough water. My question is the bar and beach are on the southern side of the island of Jost Van Dyke. Shouldn’t the beach be protected? Remember I’m a newbie and there’s no such thing as a stupid question. Here’s the web cam link if interested:
Soggy Dollar Bar | Sandcastle Hotel

Swell will wrap around land masses. Happens in the Eastern Caribbean often.

By the way just to put that web cam into perspective, you are looking south from the Soggy Dollar Bar famous for it’s “Pain Killer” cocktail. It is on White Bay. There are two channels into the bay, one is right between the two palms. Normally you will see boats coming in and out of the channel. Seen some trawlers but they would anchor out pretty far due their draft. Many cats and smaller boats will anchor within 100 feet of the shoreline. That’s St Johns in the distance. Just something nice to watch when stuck on the couch here in NJ when at home and weather outside not inviting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom