North Pacific storm brewing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I religiously followed those NOAA Surface analysis and forecast charts during 21 yrs of offshore tuna fishing, some years way offshore in October, Don't ever remember seeing a 939 mB low. That is going to be brutal.

This is a screen shot from Windy.com. Yikes!

Windy.jpg

Hope the storm will bring precipitation in California. Forecast says otherwise.

Hope the storm will bring precipitation in California. Forecast says otherwise.

How often during the current fire situation have I and many of my Ketchikan acquaintance/friends extend a prayer that some of our weather could be given to California.

Ketchikan Alaska Weather, what to expect during your visit

Friend or foe politically, that all goes away when the pain that is being experienced in your neck of the woods.

Al-Ketchikan

That’s why I live and cruise in Florida. Calm weather and no storms.
Charley
Ivan
Jeanne
Dennis
Katrina
Sandy
Wilma
Irma
[emoji23][emoji41][emoji23][emoji41][emoji23][emoji41][emoji23][emoji41]

Great. Kitamaat Village Road (15 minute drive and access to MK Bay Marina) is washed out in three places so can't go check on the boat.

Hey, Al...looks like you're getting a wee bit of rain right now?

So I take it the storm could result in Small Craft Advisory????? Lol:D

Environment Canada will predict 2 meters or less...:lol::dance:

We could use some of that coldness as it is 95 degrees right now in Oceanside, CA.:lol:

Great. Kitamaat Village Road (15 minute drive and access to MK Bay Marina) is washed out in three places so can't go check on the boat.

Hey, Al...looks like you're getting a wee bit of rain right now?

Misty light:dance:

That’s why I live and cruise in Florida. Calm weather and no storms.
Charley
Ivan
Jeanne
Dennis
Katrina
Sandy
Wilma
Irma
[emoji23][emoji41][emoji23][emoji41][emoji23][emoji41][emoji23][emoji41]

Doubt very much that you would be out there. Pity the merchant fleet that is heading to the 'Chain'.
Here is the current status:

PKZ499-250045-
358 AM AKDT Tue Oct 24 2017
.SYNOPSIS FOR CENTRAL BERING SEA...

A 934 mb low at 54N 168E Tue morning will move to 52N 176W at 949 mb
by Wed morning, then moves to 56N 165W at 975 mb by Thu morning. A
strong front will cross the Alaska Peninsula and western Gulf during
this time.

$$

PKZ411-250045-
Bering Sea Offshore West of 180 and East of the International
Dateline-
358 AM AKDT Tue Oct 24 2017

...STORM WARNING THROUGH TONIGHT...
.TODAY...E wind 45 to 60 kt. Seas 22 to 37 ft. Rain.
.TONIGHT...NE wind 40 to 55 kt. Seas 24 to 38 ft.
.WED...N wind 30 to 45 kt. Seas 22 to 31 ft.
.WED NIGHT...N wind 20 to 35 kt. Seas 16 to 24 ft.
.THU...NE wind 10 to 25 kt. Seas 9 to 14 ft.
.FRI THROUGH SAT...N wind 10 to 20 kt. Seas 7 to 12 ft.

We could use some of that coldness as it is 95 degrees right now in Oceanside, CA.:lol:

You can have it. Nasty here in the PNW all last 2 weeks. 67f and sun yesterday and today. Only problem now is high water and trash coming down river.

We're in Maui right now and the entire island lost power last night due to lightning, torrential rain and a whole lot of wind. Not sure if this is part of the same system but it was a doozy.

We're in Maui right now and the entire island lost power last night due to lightning, torrential rain and a whole lot of wind. Not sure if this is part of the same system but it was a doozy.

You're at the other end of the system hitting BC's north coast. It snowed here to sea level last week...then the 'pineapple express' from Hawaii set up, the temperature jumped 13 degrees Celsius, and it's been raining steady for days.

Hug a palm tree for me :D

Managed to check on Badger today before they closed the road again due to washouts :thumb:

You're at the other end of the system hitting BC's north coast. It snowed here to sea level last week...then the 'pineapple express' from Hawaii set up, the temperature jumped 13 degrees Celsius, and it's been raining steady for days.

Hug a palm tree for me :D

Managed to check on Badger today before they closed the road again due to washouts :thumb:

Well, at least our rain is hopefully even warmer than yours.

You can have it. Nasty here in the PNW all last 2 weeks. 67f and sun yesterday and today. Only problem now is high water and trash coming down river.

Rain/storm ?
We had one night of wind and heavy rain. The Skagit River went from extensive gravel bars (as was all summer) exposed from low water to colse to as high as we have seen it. But that was just one or two days and it’s sunny, fairly warm and beautiful this week. 60f and sun w little wind not nasty to me.

The storm in the forecast above predicts it will migrate to the SW Bering Sea and that’s basically Russia so why the alarm? Have I missed something?

Last edited:

How do they control the wind farm near Maalaea when gale + winds occur?

How do they control the wind farm near Maalaea when gale + winds occur?

Most of the big wind farms, Maalaea included, feather the blades in strong winds, or when they are not needed.
Our Sunbird place is near the Palm Springs area, where there are thousands of windmills. On windy days, you can see the kilowatts generating, but whole sections of the farms are still, being stopped either for maintenance to protect them from excessive wear, or not necessary for current power requirements.

Most of the big wind farms, Maalaea included, feather the blades in strong winds, or when they are not needed.
Our Sunbird place is near the Palm Springs area, where there are thousands of windmills. On windy days, you can see the kilowatts generating, but whole sections of the farms are still, being stopped either for maintenance to protect them from excessive wear, or not necessary for current power requirements.

Yes, wind farms frequently seem to have put the doggle back in boondoggle. The ones on the Maalaea ridge allegedly generate 192 gwh per year, but I see a lot of them just sitting there idle even when the wind is howling.

I hope the Infinity Celebrity has a different captain with those strong winds coming.:oops:

What do the feathers do? :ermm:

Feathering a propeller or fan blade means turning the leading edge of the blade into the wind so the prop does not turn.

Yup! Without prop feathering capability, this is what happens when you lose control of the wind generator during a high wind event. The photographer in this case was either very brave/stupid or a very long telephoto lens :eek:

https://youtu.be/kBYJul2ykZs

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom