Old 02-24-2016, 06:27 PM   #21
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Great feedback from you and Conrad, Tom. Did your boat chase Tom's out of the factory? Is he hull #1 and you hull #2?

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:29 PM   #22
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I'll probably get slammed for being predictable here, but I really like the PT 43, and one of the few things I think it needs is the windshield from the 45, which is grafted here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PT 43 comparison.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	49251  

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:42 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
I'll probably get slammed for being predictable here, but I really like the PT 43, and one of the few things I think it needs is the windshield from the 45, which is grafted here.
I think North Pacific agrees with you. As do I.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 02-24-2016, 07:00 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Bainbridge Island/Petersburg Alaska
Vessel Name: Oz
Our boat has a very similar layout as the PT43. Our previous boats, GB42 and GB50, had side decks. We have not missed them. The extra room in the salon is worth the negligible hassle. On our boat and the PT43, we really like not having a PH that is open to the salon and/or galley.

Tator
Tator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:06 PM   #25
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Great feedback from you and Conrad, Tom. Did your boat chase Tom's out of the factory? Is he hull #1 and you hull #2?
Tom & I had the opportunity to meet last summer and compare our NTs. Quite different but very similar. Ours (#1) was a bit of a prototype whereas his (#2) has some improvements and differences. After all was said and done we determined that we each preferred our own! (Which was a very good thing...)

We too came from the sailing world and so sidedecks were important from the outset. I still would want to have them in general for other things like ease of rafting or dealing with dock or at sea oddities.

Feel free to ask more questions Dave.
Conrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:21 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tator View Post
Our boat has a very similar layout as the PT43. Our previous boats, GB42 and GB50, had side decks. We have not missed them. The extra room in the salon is worth the negligible hassle. On our boat and the PT43, we really like not having a PH that is open to the salon and/or galley.
Excellent feedback Tator, thank you. My wife and I have considered the pros and cons of having the PH more removed from the saloon as well. On the whole, we see it as a net positive.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 02-24-2016, 07:26 PM   #27
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
The Nordic Tug was the first boat I was attracted to.

I would decide on a few, but not more than a few, showstoppers.

What must you have? e.g. side decks; or not have, e.g. pullman berth??

I thought I would like the fly bridge, but actually don't, though I think it really is good to have when you sell.

Sidedecks, I thought were not so critical, but now, it would be hard to live without.

Pullman berth, never thought about, and it has not been an issue with all the couples we have had on board.

Good luck.

Richard
My selection process was similar. Liked the Nordic Tugs but they were expensive and lacked easy-walk-around decks. Good side decks are critical as well as high/strong railings. Moving rapidly and burdening a boat with a flying bridge had no appeal. We've no need to accommodate more than two for sleeping, however.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:54 PM   #28

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Name: Howdy
Vessel Model: 52' North Pacific
Quote:
Don't like the lack of a side deck around the NP salon. As a sailor it makes me a bit uncomfortable.
- Do like the interior space provided by the NP
There ya go....compromise.

I wanted a full walk-around for all the reasons....got the widebody instead.
Rationalizing.....I'll spend more time in the boat than I will docking or moving fenders. Wife liked the extra room inside.
I'm glad to hear that some people went from full walk around to wide body and didn't miss it.
I haven't had this boat long enough to provide a valid opinion.

One of my "really wants" was a fly bridge....I just like it up there...might change my mind later in the PNW but have always liked it up there.

I don't think I'm alone that during the shopping period I over-analyzed everything,. details & minutiae..trying to find the "perfect, exactly right boat.
Then I remembered a lesson I thought I had learned earlier in life (and was now given a chance to relearn)...get the damn boat and get up to the PNW and use it!! So, I did and so far I really like my boat and hope to come to love it as I use it more and "make it mine".
ktdtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:55 PM   #29

City: Noank, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Dave,

We have an NP 39 not the 43. Have been very happy with the boat and found Trevor Brice, NP's owner, to be available and responsive to any questions we may have. The boat came very well equiped and is easy to service. Engine access is esp. good on this model.

No side decks on the 39 which was a concern but has been a non issue. View aft on this model is not bad from the pilothouse.

Our previous trawler we piloted from the flybridge over 90% of the time. Now we are in the pilothouse most of the time.

Feel free to ask any questions. We are fans!

Rob
Old 02-24-2016, 09:03 PM   #30

City: Noank, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Forgot to mention our favorite cruising friends have a wonderful NT 37!

Rob
Old 02-24-2016, 09:12 PM   #31
Guru

City: Anchorage/Wrangell
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
Dave,

Conrad and I are a tale of two different boats that look the same on the outside. One difference was the engine. Conrad I think as a 325 HP and I have a 420 Cummins. Over time Nordic has put bigger and bigger engines in the 42, all based on the 6CTA Cummins block. The result is a boat that will go faster and faster but burn a lot more fuel. However at 7-8 knots they probably don't burn any more than the NP43. In my limited cruising so far, I burned about 2.5 gph and averaged 7.1 knots over 788NM, 111 engine hours, consuming an estimated 278 gallons of fuel (Total less heat and generator). To counteract tides and wind to try to keep to a planned schedule, I ran about 200-400 rpm faster than the 7 knot cruise in calm water about 30-40% of the time. I would say a 7 knot cruise would put me in the 2-2.2 gph.

The one thing I learned about extra power, the wife wants me to use it. To her getting to an anchorage or harbor and hour or two earlier, is worth it. When we went south this summer around Cape Caution in BC in a 6 knot boat, it was 8 hours of rolling and yawing in 8-10' swells on the starboard bow, beam, and stern at 5 knots. Coming north it was 7 knots on the port bow of 6-8' and 9 knots with seas on the stern in 7 hours not counting traveling 8NM further. HP is your friend in this case.

Tom
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:19 PM   #32
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
We looked at at a North Pacific 42 (43) in Palm Coast (it then moved to Vero Beach). Loved the boat - you could have eaten your dinner off the engine room floor. All records were meticiously kept. It looked and felt like a well found vessel.

What killed it for us was the single head.

I just don't understand why a 43 foot boat just has one head? It is set up for the cruising couple with guests. But we are just not happy with not offering our guests their own facilities.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:30 PM   #33
Guru

kdtx, you are right about compromises. Plus, even if I could figure out what the "perfect boat" was, chances are there would not be one for sale here in the PNW. That 52' you have is a very nice boat. Up here, I just don't see that I would use a flybridge much, but who knows? Even in what passes for normally "warm" summers here, it is still cool by the water when you are moving 6-8 knots. I also am not one for hanging out in the sun much. There are so many boats in the Salish Sea with complete enclosures around their flybridge that I wonder if a flybridge is worth the duplicate cleaning, maintenance, and repair. A bare pilothouse roof and clear boat deck sound nice as far as cleaning goes. (unless I had a boathouse.....)

Rob, nice to hear from another who was concerned about side decks but found it to be a non-issue. I think the NP39 is a very nice boat, but the wife wants that second stateroom.

Tom, that helps with the fuel efficiency question. Trevor Brice claims around 2gph at 7 knots for the NP43. I could be very happy with that as 7 knots is my current cruise speed on my boat. The NP doesn't have the upper speed range that the NTs do however. I believe it maxes out at 12kt and that really burns up the fuel.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 02-24-2016, 11:38 PM   #34

City: Brentwood Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Golden Dawn
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
We travel with a dog and for that reason never use the fly bridge on the Krogen. The dog can access everywhere on the boat, except the fly bridge. When the weather is nice, we sit on the bench in front of the wheelhouse - with the dog and the auto pilot extension. I originally thought the bench was stupid, but it is a our go-to place in good weather - and 2 steps from the helm.

Not sure if you have dogs in your life . . .
Old 02-24-2016, 11:55 PM   #35
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
No doubt Nordic Tugs are nice.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:04 AM   #36
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post

Tom, that helps with the fuel efficiency question. Trevor Brice claims around 2gph at 7 knots for the NP43. I could be very happy with that as 7 knots is my current cruise speed on my boat. The NP doesn't have the upper speed range that the NTs do however. I believe it maxes out at 12kt and that really burns up the fuel.
Dave, our NT has a 330 HP Lugger, built on a Komatsu block; as far as I'm aware it is the only NT with a Lugger. Most have Cummins as Tom mentioned although recent models have Volvo power. I recall that Nordic Tugs offered 650 HP Cummins in the past although I don't know if many were sold.

We cruise at 8 knots almost exclusively with the occasional run up to 12 knots which is our max. With fairly significant genset and furnace use (I'm not on the boat so can't give the genset hours ) we are averaging 12 litres/hour overall.

Definitely agree that two heads are better than one!
Conrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:58 AM   #37
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
My favorite is the NT 52 later named the 55 I believe. Great ER (lacking in all other NTs), several nice layouts and good build. I compared it to the NP 52 and found it much more user friendly in all respects. But at a million bucks + not a good investment as we were then into Nordhavn territory.

So on value alone as compared to the NT the NP seems a more logical choice. The market place agreed when comparing sales volumes over the past decade.

I compared an NP 52 plug from 18" above the waterline to our DF. What a difference with the NP at about 60% the thickness. Gotta keep costs down somehow.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:54 AM   #38
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tator View Post
Our previous boats, GB42 and GB50, had side decks. We have not missed them. The extra room in the salon is worth the negligible hassle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdtx View Post
I wanted a full walk-around for all the reasons....got the widebody instead.
Rationalizing.....I'll spend more time in the boat than I will docking or moving fenders. Wife liked the extra room inside.
I'm glad to hear that some people went from full walk around to wide body and didn't miss it.
I haven't had this boat long enough to provide a valid opinion.

Then I remembered a lesson I thought I had learned earlier in life (and was now given a chance to relearn)...get the damn boat and get up to the PNW and use it!! So, I did and so far I really like my boat and hope to come to love it as I use it more and "make it mine".
That sums up my feelings on side decks pretty well. Would like to have had them. Only miss them when docking. Have adapted to not having them for docking and locking. Can hang fenders from the railings of the upper deck. Will certainly use the inside space much more often.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:03 AM   #39
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
tpbrady posted this;,
"The one thing I learned about extra power, the wife wants me to use it. To her getting to an anchorage or harbor and hour or two earlier, is worth it. When we went south this summer around Cape Caution in BC in a 6 knot boat, it was 8 hours of rolling and yawing in 8-10' swells on the starboard bow, beam, and stern at 5 knots. Coming north it was 7 knots on the port bow of 6-8' and 9 knots with seas on the stern in 7 hours not counting traveling 8NM further. HP is your friend in this case."

At first I thought it was the first justified excuse for having extra power. Having a 6 knot boat for over 10 years I can relate to that. Even though most of our trawlering has been up north where most anchorages are usually void of boats arriving even very late in the day/evening.
That has been my usual complaint about having a slow boat ... can't get to many anchorages before dark. That's what killed our winter cruising in SE Alaska. However, most of the time there are anchorages closer so instead of powering up one should just choose a closer anchorage. Or learn how to anchor at night.
But having a go slow boat that goes fast too is an obvious advantage but having a cruiser instead of a trawler offers even more of the fast/slow option. All of this slow and fast boat talk assumes the owner/skipper is OK w underloading most of the time. Engines are so good at running lightly loaded now that it may be a non-issue but the underloading talk still goes on.

Going around Cape Caution we usually go from Alison Harbour to Penrose Is (Frypan Bay) but we could go into Smith Sound. That would cut the trip distance in half so it could be done at 3 or 4 knots. My point being that the option to going much faster than your normal cruise speed is to not go as far. And those of us that have FD boats running 6 or 7 knots w/o a faster option are very familiar w it. Takes us 20 to 25 days to go to Ketchikan. No problem if I don't see it as such.

But tpbrady's practice seems very ideal and well put in his post. I like the part about "my wife makes me do it".

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:00 PM   #40
Guru

City: Anchorage/Wrangell
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
Eric,

One of my favorite quotes on engine HP and engine loading comes from Tony Athens at Seaboard Marine (Low Speed Running & “Break-In” of Marine Diesels - Seaboard Marine).

"In closing, I’ll mention that although this topic is brought up quite often and many people preach that you’ve got to use a diesel hard if you want it to last, I’m still waiting to find one that was rebuilt before its time due to low speed use..Just the opposite seems to be always the norm."

Tom

tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote