Norfolk to Jacksonville in Nov.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bradlesh

Veteran Member
I am planning on moving a 38 ft Chris Craft down the ICW in late November. Only has an upper helm so was checking on others with experience to see how burdensome the cold is going to be.

Greetings,
Mr. B. Just a guess...

A1C08DB8.jpg

Of course as I age, my blood is getting a LOT thinner. Have a good safe trip.

Have been leaving Jersey in Early Dec for the last 4 years...usually hit Norfolk around the 15th of Dec or so.

One year there was snow on the ground in early December so there will possibly be days in the 30s and 40s. Probably most of the days till you hit at least Beaufort, NC you will vary in the 50s to 60s but as long as you can get out of the wind....it shouldn't be too bad.

Every mile you head south from Norfolk helps. If you are going straight down and plan on being in Jax before Christmas...you should hit mostly reasonable days.

I could be terribly wrong just based on La Nina coming...check the climate data for a few major stops along the way and check the highs and lows throughout the time you plan on travelling.

I have seen Viking sportfishers being delivered in some pretty tough weather in the winter. Those guys didn't even have a venture to hide behind. They just wore Mustang suits and gritted their teeth.

If you can run a small inverter, a heating pad under the coat is reaaly helpful...

Last edited:
Used to make the New England- Keys-Islands jag every year.

We had Thanksgiving in Georgetown SC one year, and left Savannah mid December after a couple weeks having work done at Thunderbolt. Did get cold a few days in Savannah and some bad fog south of there. But another year we were also in Georgia in late November , Thanksgiving anchored out in Walburg Creek, and the whole trip was delightful. But October was our favorite time by far.

So what are you going to get? Who knows? Like your mom used to say, "Take a Jacket!"

Tough time of year to plan for....last year I was in a t shirt in early December..had to jog around jet skis trolling for stripers around the Bay Bridge in the Chesapeake....2 years earlier...we had to chip ice off the cleats to get dock lines on in the C&D canal.

Pack a jacket. a thermal hoodie and a heating pad...or a good mustang (safety wise is better) and a good heating pad.

I am glad for a lower helm and good bus heater.

Last edited:
We departed Norfolk last year on November 16 and arrived Jacksonville on Jan 1. We watched fire works in Fernandina Bch, FL in shorts and t shirt. Most of the trip was very pleasant. We had a small portable propane heater and also the boat reverse cycle heaters. We hardly used them south of Norfolk. But not all years are like that as others have said. Just be prepared for colder wx and you should be OK.

I have purchased a small 110 volt electric heater to use on a flybridge at foot level that made a big difference for late season deliveries.
One year while going north through the lock at Great Bridge in December some guy was yelling at me from the bank. As I got closer I could hear him tell me to get my compass fixed.

What should I expect for real worldtime to make this trip assuming no sight seeing, daytime travel only, good weather and 10 knots average. I know what the math says but was wondering how realistic that was. BTW, my math says 2 weeks.

There seems to be an awful lot of threads of northern boaters heading south to Jacksonville recently.

Guys, we're full!

I am planning on moving a 38 ft Chris Craft down the ICW in late November. Only has an upper helm so was checking on others with experience to see how burdensome the cold is going to be.

Is the upper helm open, or a top, or any form of enclosure?

Yes, it has a full enlosure.

Then I'd make sure I had some type heater and not worry. Typically days in Norfolk that time of year are mid to upper 50's and nights are lower 40's. Early morning will be challenging. Perhaps need to visit the coffee threat. Through SC, the weather will basically be very similar as you're getting later but also further south. Then by the time you reach FL, expect mid 60's and mid 40's, although this year is forecast to be warmer.

By mid afternoon with the sun coming through you'll be ready for short sleeved tshirts.

Gerbing vests are great. I have a complete liner suit including gloves and socks from them. Used to fly an open cockpit aircraft in Maryland in January with it and a thinsulite suit over it.

If everything goes right, Norfolk to Jacksonville can be done in 7 days, maybe less. Did Fort Myers to Norfolk in 12 or 13 a few years ago. Then again, things seldom work like that. I would plan 10 days without any break downs.

Ted

What should I expect for real worldtime to make this trip assuming no sight seeing, daytime travel only, good weather and 10 knots average. I know what the math says but was wondering how realistic that was. BTW, my math says 2 weeks.

We sometimes move very quickly, but with the cold, I wouldn't recommend planning on long days and pushing it. You're going to be dealing with conditions overnight, early morning starts, and our typical 7:00 AM start or even 7:30 is a bit early most mornings. Sometimes there will still be fog. Also, at the end of the day you'll want to be safely where you're headed and in warm by dark. I'd plan on 80 nm days and because that won't always tie to where you want to stop, you'll average more like 70 or so with some 60's, some 80's. The division then says 10 days and you'll have some days you may not want to move or may move very little. Your two weeks sounds good to me and if you make it faster, so be it.

I would plan something like this.
......................................... Fast Slow
Norfolk to MHC/Beaufort...........2 days 3
Beaufort to Southport...............2 3
Southport to Charleston............2 3
Charleston to Fernandina..........3 4
Fernandina to Jacksonville........1 1

Now, those may not be where you'll choose to stop. Just an example of how I see the trip.

Gerbing vests are great. I have a complete liner suit including gloves and socks from them. Used to fly an open cockpit aircraft in Maryland in January with it and a thinsulite suit over it.

We purchased outdoor, cross country, ski type jackets at Academy Sports. A brand much like Columbia but far cheaper, not figuring we'd have much need. Also a full head and face mask/toboggan and good gloves. Amazing how easy it makes outdoor activities. It's not heavy at all, but warm. And warm socks and shoes are critical. i guarantee at some point along the way your feet will get wet so be prepared to change.

We cruised the Erie in May and had a couple of cold days and cruised the Illinois and Mississippi in October with the same. The only time we were ever uncomfortable was at the dock in the morning untying and leaving.

What is your bridge clearance and comfortable cruising speed? For example, being able to get under a few of the bridges can turn Morehead City to Southport into a one day trip, though one issue is you are dealing with is short periods of daylight. If the weather is nice, going outside from Beaufort/MHC to Wrightsville(Masonboro Inlet) at least is preferable, an easy one day trip and avoids the bridges and possible ICW closures at Camp Lejeune. There are a few other spots where going outside cuts time and you are not missing much scenery wise. Don't be in too much of a hurry if you can avoid it, as there are some nice cruising grounds and anchorages to enjoy via the ICW.

Keep in mind that many marinas suffered damage from hurricane Mathew. Some are closed, some are not taking transients and some are not selling fuel. Better call in advance and plan accordingly.

While transient space may be an issue, fuel isn't. Sitting off Cumberland island (just above Jacksonville ) tonight, and I would guess over 90% of marinas are pumping fuel that I passed after Norfolk. Doubt you could go 40 miles without finding fuel.

Ted

Keep in mind that many marinas suffered damage from hurricane Mathew. Some are closed, some are not taking transients and some are not selling fuel. Better call in advance and plan accordingly.

Yep, check ahead.

For example Fernandina City Marina is down, with no date for getting back up again!

Fortunately most seem back on their feet....both slips and fuel....

In areas where one marina was hard hit, sure transient space may be harder to find.

Try here for current info too...

Hurricane Matthew Marina Damage Reports

You have to love that Matanzas report. A SF slammed hard onto the sand. No one in their right mind goes anything above idle past those markers - not ever in the past 20 years! Regardless of recent storms, or shoaling.

Sheesh.

Baloney.

Just take a look at the SAT picture of that stretch.

The deep water was up against the western shore when I went through there in April. Has it changed again?

Ted

The deep water was up against the western shore when I went through there in April. Has it changed again?

Ted

We just had Matthew go through, I would proceed slowly, perhaps watch a couple of locals go through if you can. The deepest water has been right against the west banks for the last couple of years, taking a nice curve using the green markers.

The good thing is that it is all soft sand, so even if you bump you can reverse off and go again.

Back
Top Bottom