Are Nordic Tugs worth the money?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chester613

I've been searching for my "dream boat". Which I thought was my last boat! Anyway, I'm sort of focusing on the Nordic 32 and the Mainship 34. Given equal years and engine hours, the Mainship is substantially less money. For a 2004 Nordic 32, you will spend around $180K - $200K. A 2006 Mainship 34 can be had for under $150K. My use would be on the ICW for my 1st year of retirement and after that Charellet Harbor in Fla. We will make several long range cruises per year. I like the Cummins engine better than the Yanmar. I like the engine access in the Mainship. The sette area is a little nicer on the Mainship. Fuel economy, I think, is about the same. I'm wondering about reliability and comfort.

Looking forward to some thoughtful comments.
Thanks

Sounds like you may have answered your own question based on your preferences for some of the Mainship's features.

Nordic Tugs are great boats, very well made, and well suited to the waters in this region (which makes sense given that this is where they were designed and have been built since then.

I don't know anything about Mainship quality or longevity so can't offer any comments on them other than to say that unless one is buying a brand new boat, the value of a boat lies at least as much if not more in the way that boat was operated and treated by the previous owner(s) than in it's newbuild quality.

For what my wife and I do and hope to do with a boat in the PNW, we would take the Nordic Tug over the Mainship despite the disparity in price, assuming equal condition and history for both of them. But what we like and want in a boat has no bearing on what someone else might want and like.

The few Nordic Tug owners I've met personally seemed to be pleased with their boats.

Three Jeans (home port Pittsburg) was the first boat calling for an overtaking pass (Coot is slow, a true trawler, while Nordics are faster). We met up in Petaluma:

232323232%7Ffp54379%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3939%3C59783336nu0mrj

Last edited:
Like everything in life...what is it worth to you?

My trawler has already steamed nearly 10,000 miles with minimum expense added for around $60,000.

sure I am slowly adding $30,000 in improvements and repairs...but they could have been postponed or ignored for these trips. Plus I am a liveaboard so some have been pushed harder.

Buy what you think will do the job, what you like and what you can afford. I
Life is always a tradeoff...but with boats don't let manufacturer envy get the better of you,

In the range of hull types (FD, SD & Planing) I think the Nordic is a SD hull closer to FD (but not close .. but closer than most trawlers) whereas the Mainship is closer to a planing hull. The NT is not wide and I think the Mainship is. Higher CG on the Mainship with more windage. I'm guessing the NT has a slower motion more typical of fish boats and the Mainship probably has a rather quick motion that can be tiring on the water.

The NT has my vote as it looks to be more efficient and seaworthy. Real shy on the glitz but closer to the trawler concept. The Mainship probably has more room.

Most people think galley up or down is important and other things like that. To me the hull is #1 hands down. That's the main reason I have a Willard.

Nordic Tugs have semi-planing hulls and can be driven in the 13-15 knot range pretty easily. Have no idea how their efficiency compares to Mainship but I certainly do not consider a Nordic Tug to be "closer to a displacement hull." Not when I've seen them zipping along like they can. Even Nordic Tug at one time in their advertisements referred to their boats as "fast trawlers." Maybe they still do.

Last edited:
Eric, your hull is a full-displacement hull similar to a sailboat and not anything like a semi-planing hull of a Nordic/Arctic Tug hull.

Similarly-sized Nordic Tugs potentially have nearly twice the speed of the full-displacement Coot (which also has a small fraction of the horsepower and fuel need.)

"Is boat X worth an increased price over boat Y"

That is really not possible for any of us to determine, since its so personal.

Both the boats you mentioned seem to have similar operating limits, IE they are both Coastal Cruisers.

They are both about the same size, probably with very similar features. I would imagine that they both have approx the same ongoing maintenance requirements.

If you are approaching this purely logically then the best boat is the one that gets the job done and has the lowest lifecycle costs. But boats are not a logical decision for most of us.

I do not know what other opinions you'll get here but you have really asked an unanswerable question.

But then these are pleasure boats so the best boat is always the one we like the most.

Assuming all other things are equal .. and they never are.

The OP could fly to Juneau AK and rent the NT. And I'm sure the Mainship is availible too. Charter boat services seem to favor NT and GB in the PNW. That must say something both boats being pricy. Evidently they think the're worth the money.

Last edited:

Of course they are! My NT is my eleventh boat in my lifetime and none of my previous boats can compare in build quality. NT's are built by boat builders who know what they are doing.

I owned a Mainship 34T for several years and have looked extensively at the NT32, so here is my take:

The Mainship is BIG and roomy. It has a huge flybridge and its main cabin is big given its 14' beam. The forward cabin is ok, but a bit sparse. It will safely cruise at 12 kts but no more for decent engine life. The Yanmar is a good engine but admittedly the Cummins is one of the best, but not a deal maker/breaker IMO.

The NT32 is built better, it just looks it. I think they come with the Cummins 330 hp version so it may be a bit slower than the Mainship. Seems like the forward berth is a Pullman which wouldn't cut it for me. If you prefer pilot house steering to flybridge steering then maybe it will work for you.

David

FWIW, members of the boating club we belong to bought a new NT32 several years ago. They have cruised it extensively, including a trip to SE Alaska and back. They just recently moved up to an NT37, feeling that the NT32 was just too small for their needs (they have grandchildren who are apparently coming of an age to go boating with them).

If interior space and berth accommodations are a consideration for a buyer, the NT32, as well designed and well built as it is, may not be as ideal from the user-space aspect as the Mainship 34.

If you lean more toward the NT 32 you wish to check out the Eagle 32.

My question would be are you willing to pay 4x or 5x the fuel bill to go 12K as you would spend going 6K?

Especially in the AICW with speed zones , or Looping with a 6 klick speed limit in lots of Canada.

Why pay for, maintain repair a 330hp engine when operating at 2-3 gph , 30-45HP?

If cruise speed is a goal , a sport fish will do 2x the speed with the same MPG.

Most people think galley up or down is important and other things like that. To me the hull is #1 hands down. That's the main reason I have a Willard.

Just using Eric's comment as springboard for a "different strokes" comment:

I looks at the hull as a platform for the features I would interact with on a daily basis. So I interact :) with our master berth configuration, with the stairs (not a ladder to the flying bridge, with the split head/shower, with the relatively useful galley, with the swim platform that's suitable for carrying our dinghy, etc.

I seldom interact directly with the hull -- aside from annual haul-out/checkup/wax and wax/bottom paint if necessary, etc.. Naturally, it's important that it's well designed for its intended purpose, and a decent ride in most sea states is welcome, but otherwise I'm not too worried about it.

Some pay much more attention to eking out that last drop of fuel efficiency, but the difference between 4 or 5 or 6 or7 GPH -- to me -- is insignificant. In another thread, folks might see that I pay way more attention to the difference between 7 GPH and 30 GPH. :)

Anyway, I can't comment on NT or more recent Mainship build quality. The Mainship we had ('87 34' Mk III) was very reasonable... but I cared more about the features we wanted in a boat.

-Chris

From my 3 liveaboard experiences I have learned that dreamboat and the best suited for my needs are rarely the same.

As I already pointed out, manufacturer loyalty can steer you in the wrong direction way too often.

Some people who really have serious cruising miles under their belt finally realize they should have a sailboat instead of a trawler and vice versa. So really knowing what you want or need can be elusive to even the most experienced.

If those are the best two boats for your needs, then most people I know fall into 2 categories. First is where they have so much money, either boat plus upgrades doesn't make a dent in their discretionary spending. Second is where it will impact them and they are almost always better off buying the less expensive boat and setting aside the difference in cost as outfitting, upgrading and operating funds.

Last edited:
I owned a 42' Nordic Tug for 5 years. I was very pleased with it. The workmanship, materials and handling in rough seas was suburb. It was extremely quiet underway unlike every Mainship that I have ever been aboard. Solid as a rock.

Of course they are! My NT is my eleventh boat in my lifetime and none of my previous boats can compare in build quality. NT's are built by boat builders who know what they are doing.

I agree 100%. I've been through every nook and crany on our boat and am still amazed at the build quality. I can't comment about Mainship, as I've never been on one. Would I buy another NT? In a heartbeat. You will pay more up front, but you will get much of that back when you sell, assuming you keep it in good shape. Keep in mind that the NTs are semi-custom. Just the interior woodwork alone on our boat took a lot of time and skill.

EDIT: One other point is that NT factory support in my experience has been amazing. We bought our boat used, but the factory has been there whenever we have questions, even going so far as to pull the specific wiring diagrams for our boat to assist us when we were upgrading and adding some electronics. Again, I cannot speak to other companies.

Last edited:
EDIT: One other point is that NT factory support in my experience has been amazing. We bought our boat used, but the factory has been there whenever we have questions, even going so far as to pull the specific wiring diagrams for our boat to assist us when we were upgrading and adding some electronics. Again, I cannot speak to other companies.

Useful point, especially in this case. Not sure what current Mainship support will be like -- for Luhrs Group boats -- under the Marlowe regime. It was very good when under Luhrs, but the Luhrs Group bankruptcy may have put the kibosh on that, going forward.

There's a Mainship owners group, I think on Yahoo (somebody here said?) so those folks may be able to speak to it.

-Chris

To me, the issue is not "is an NT better quality than a similar aged Mainship," but rather can a buyer of certain skills, interest level and experience note the differences or really care?

The same question applies on Beech vs Cessna, Infiniti vs Maxima, Chevy vs Cadillac or St Pauli Girl vs Budweiser.

Watching anchor debates where some may drop the hook once per year, or talk about fuel polishing or 3 stage filtration while not burning more than 200 gallons per year of fuel could similarly be construed.

Some just like better things, whether boats, anchors, fuel systems, women, cars, airplanes, whiskey, cigars etc. Whether it is termed acquired taste, selection of the species, awareness or ---- ? For sure Elon Musk nailed it with the Tesla, whatever it is.

Hey Chester, are you still here?

On your original post, you described the features you like about the Mainship and then stopped?

What do you like about the NT?

On a purely financial basis the resale value for the boats in question may speaks for the relative value. An expensive boat(item) is not so expensive if it holds it value well.

Well, my parents have a Mainship and I have a Nordic Tug. I bought my NT with the intent of resale. Buy it, play with it, improve it, sell it, and buy a Taiwanese trawler 10' longer without any additional funding.

I think part of the value of a NT is due to maintaining a high resale value. I it is a similar to the marketing scheme that John Deere used for many years. Sell high, and take them back in at a high trade-in value. Don't let anyone else in the market and "fix" the price of a used tractor. Sell the used equipment at a high value, and over time the value remains high.

Now, to be sure, this "inflated" value can only be maintained as long as there is an inherent quality value, and an active market. I think the active market has dropped off considerably.

I think Nordic Tugs are well built boats. I go on board other brand boats (not custom) and see where corners are cut. Generally speaking, people judge boats on the tactile and visual aspects. I go to boat shows and look in the bilges, corners and where bulkheads are connected.

Does this matter? In the whole scheme of things, probably not.

I recently spent money on having a custom kitchen made by a cabinet maker. Once he was done, I had him do my laundry room and ensuite. Had him make new doors out of old growth fir, too. Is it any better? Probably not. In fact, a lot can be said for industry design, efficiency, and value. I'd say a lot of mass produced cabinetry (and boats) have better features, than my custom stuff. So that may be why I like my Nordic Tug, and may never part with it. I prefer small, simple, and custom.

But really a Mainship would likely be more desirable on the ICW. When I visit my parents back east, we spend a lot of time on the flying bridge, but I wouldn't want it out here in the PNW.

Last edited:
The vast majority of you have totally missed the point...except David and Ranger and PSneeld.

He mentioned how he was going to use the boat. You get the best boat for how you are going to use it.
I will say this. A Nordic Tug 32 is TINY!!!!....regardless of how well built it is. The Mainship likely has TWICE the space if not more!!! Is that important to you????? It is to me. And it likely is to most of you. I would not be comfortable cruising on any NT under 37 feet. Somebody using a NT32 as a retirement boat is likely a blind brand loyalist...or someone that does not value space!!!!
While the Mainship build quality is not as good as NT, it will absolutely positively serve the purpose of the OP. Main ships are fairly basic boats sourced with easily available equipment and easy to maintain. The thing is not going to implode and sink anytime soon.

If it is value we are talking, the Mainship wins hands down. If it is living space we are talking, the Mainship wins hands down. The only edge the NT holds is build quality. And just how is that going to make you feel while doing the Great Loop???? I don't know about y'all....but one of things about boating and cruising to me is enjoying the space aboard the boat. Where is that space on the NT??? A smallish salon and an even smaller uncovered cockpit. On the Mainship you have a much larger salon that opens up to a large COVERED cockpit. The Mainship provides very easy and safe access to the bow. While a nice thing to have it is also a safety issue. And finally the 34T has a HUGE flybridge. Look how the Mainship overhangs flare out. Yes it looks slightly odd....but that is because they carry the width of the flybridge FULL BEAM!!!! Anyway....I have made my point....opinion.

And this is with due respect to our NT32 owners out there. Not a bad weekend boat. But not a great retirement boat....IMO.

Last edited:
Hi John, good to see you touching base. Absolutely agree with your post. Of course if one could afford great build quality, AND space...

"or someone that does not value space!!!!"

A roomaran may have more empty space , mere volume , but the measure of an inteior is how well it functions , how comfortable it is , how it ventilates and admits light.

Being able to be thrown an extra 10 ft across a cabin may not be a great advantage.

Comfortable living is more important.

Baker has got it spot on. I have had the opportunity to run and go through both boats; the charter club we belonged to in SFO had both in their fleet at one time or another; I've run the MS in both a single and twin version. The NT is the solider better built craft, the MS has much more living space. The NT handled severe SF Bay chop in a steadier fashion than the MS. The bow slap noise in the forward stateroom is loud on the MS; we ended up using the fold out couch in the salon ourselves, which is actually a real nice set up for a couple. Others don't mind the noise so much, and we were good friends with a couple we met cruising who used their MS 34 (390 version, same boat actually) for the exact use of the OP for years, very happily. The flying bridge on the MS is, as noted really nice, and lack of same on the NT would make it a non-starter for us for the OP's intended use. Overall, I think the Mainship is a good, honest boat. We enjoyed a lot of fun cruises on several flavors of them 30 and 34 express, 34 and 43 "trawler".
For live aboard and long cruising, I would opt for the MS with a single engine, a small generator and a bow thruster. The twin engine version had way too cramped an ER for my taste.

Is the NT worth more than the MS? Yes, that's what the market says and that is what establishes worth, and I think the build quality justifies it Plus, NT is still in business, offering full support, though I do not know what support Marlow is now offering legacy MS models. But the issue for the OP is, the MS will offer a better long term cruising and living aboard experience for most people

We've a friend who is an 80 something live aboard on his NT 32 with his dog. His travels in the PNW listing dog shore sites is legendary.

Most impressive in the PNW are the multitude of journeys by Baidarka I, a 32NT. This crew and vessel logged thousands of anchor sites. Look it up and if you are not aware of the Baidarka inspired cruise guides you will be amazed.

FineEdge.com

BTW, when comparing the NT32 to the Mainship a key difference is the Cummins vs Yanmar, not only the engine but the install especially when talking exhaust elbows. No doubt the Mainship has a much bigger volume for partying and sitting around. I much prefer the sight lines and helm position on the NT32.

Back
Top Bottom