Old 03-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #21
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Stacey will return your call, he is porbably out inspecting a boat.

Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:05 PM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
bligh,
That's a good sign. They are busy getting experience and not charging enough to hire someone to answer the phone.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:30 AM   #23

City: Benicia CA
Schmidt and List both have great reputations. If you're not getting responses, or, are declined, that probably means they're too busy with their regular customers (brokers).

If you're using an experienced and locally known broker, have them call on your behalf. Brokers have "pull". I'd be surprised if they didn't get a quick response.
Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:41 AM   #24
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsail View Post
Schmidt and List both have great reputations. If you're not getting responses, or, are declined, that probably means they're too busy with their regular customers (brokers).

If you're using an experienced and locally known broker, have them call on your behalf. Brokers have "pull". I'd be surprised if they didn't get a quick response.
I don't have a broker. Maybe the surveyor will be able to make a call for me. The good weather here sure has kept businesses going. Thank for the suggestion.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:42 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Stacey will return your call, he is probably out inspecting a boat.
Stacey finally called me back and I got him scheduled. Good news!

Scott
Old 03-12-2014, 01:44 AM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Calif Delta
Vessel Model: 34' Tollycraft Sedan
Your in good hands...
Old 03-12-2014, 11:13 AM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Sacramento Delta
You've got the names of the best marine and engine surveyors in the Bay area. I completed my purchase within the last few weeks and used both Brendan and Chuck. They are hard to get in touch with because they are 1 man shows. Chuck does have a woman who works for him, but about the only way to get in touch is via email.

Someone was correct in mentioning that it is much easier to get an appointment with these guys when you are using a broker. My broker set everything up and I never met Chuck or Brendan until the day they did their work.

Which Nordic Tug model are you looking at? I've got a friend with a 42 that I've captained quite a bit.
IMG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:11 PM   #28
Guru

Chuck's finally got back to me, but I have already scheduled Stacey. I'm having more jitters about buying this boat than I have had over buying any properties. At least now everyone is scheduled and for next week, the financing is in place and I can now relax for a few days. This boat buying business is stressful !
Old 03-12-2014, 07:22 PM   #29
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
Chuck's finally got back to me, but I have already scheduled Stacey. I'm having more jitters about buying this boat than I have had over buying any properties. At least now everyone is scheduled and for next week, the financing is in place and I can now relax for a few days. This boat buying business is stressful !
Just DON"T fall in love with it till you are sure it is in REALLY OK Condition and you own it at the best price you could live with. Maken mistake on a boat can be one BIG PIA!

Best Luck!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:26 PM   #30
Guru

Good Luck! Stacey and Brandon will take very good care of you! Tell them the Alaskan Sea-Duction, aka Interlude says hi and yes I did make it to the Columbia River.

When was the fuel tanks inspected and the fuel last polished? Here are some great folks for that job too:

CSSI Fuel Filtration
Old 03-17-2014, 07:40 PM   #31
Guru

Tom,
You answered my next question before I got to ask it. The boat has been sitting for a couple of years. There are about 250 gallons aboard. Im sure the tanks could use a good scrubbing. I am not sure if the NT's have inspections plates though. If not, maybe they can get the fuel swirling around in the tanks enough to displace any sediment. I am not sure. Regardless, I'll give them a call after the survey and get that fuel cleaned. I bet I can get a camera down the fill tube to at least look in there and see what they look like.

Stacey gave the main and the genny a thumbs up with a minor punch list. I'm not sure what else he looked at as I am awaiting his report. He really hit it off with the seller, which I'm makes me a little nervous, but hopefully he still did his job diligently. Wednesday is the real survey and the haul-out with Mr. Parker. I'll be headed up there for that one although Mr. Parker warned me to leave him alone during the survey. I'll save all my questions for last I suppose.

This boat has a hydraulic stern thruster. Early on, we found one of the lines burst in the transom. Luckily the mess was easily contained. Stacy said we could repair the hydraulic line, but my instinct tells me that they both need to be replaced back to the three way in the engine room.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:04 PM   #32
Art
Guru

Quote:
Tom,
You answered my next question before I got to ask it. The boat has been sitting for a couple of years. There are about 250 gallons aboard. Im sure the tanks could use a good scrubbing. I am not sure if the NT's have inspections plates though. If not, maybe they can get the fuel swirling around in the tanks enough to displace any sediment. I am not sure. Regardless, I'll give them a call after the survey and get that fuel cleaned. I bet I can get a camera down the fill tube to at least look in there and see what they look like.

Stacey gave the main and the genny a thumbs up with a minor punch list. I'm not sure what else he looked at as I am awaiting his report. He really hit it off with the seller, which I'm makes me a little nervous, but hopefully he still did his job diligently. Wednesday is the real survey and the haul-out with Mr. Parker. I'll be headed up there for that one although Mr. Parker warned me to leave him alone during the survey. I'll save all my questions for last I suppose.

This boat has a hydraulic stern thruster. Early on, we found one of the lines burst in the transom. Luckily the mess was easily contained. Stacy said we could repair the hydraulic line, but my instinct tells me that they both need to be replaced back to the three way in the engine room.
I do not know Mr. Parker, therefore I cannot comment on his survey aptitude/quality. And, he may be very good at his trade... or not??

That said: IMO, there is no surveyor I would ever use for any reason; boat survey, house survey, auto survey or other ... That I would use if I could not be on site asking questions during survey. And, to be “warned” to leave him alone before hand would mean he would not be completing task on my potentially soon to be purchased property.

That’s my way! YRMV – Good Luck!
Old 03-17-2014, 09:20 PM   #33
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I do not know Mr. Parker, therefore I cannot comment on his survey aptitude/quality. And, he may be very good at his trade... or not??

That said: IMO, there is no surveyor I would ever use for any reason; boat survey, house survey, auto survey or other ... That I would use if I could not be on site asking questions during survey. And, to be “warned” to leave him alone before hand would mean he would not be completing task on my potentially soon to be purchased property.

That’s my way! YRMV – Good Luck!
The surveyor of our last boat (an NT as well) also requested that he (they actually, as there were two) be left alone during the survey. But that did not mean that he didn't want me around, just not shadowing him throughout the process. At appropriate intervals throughout the survey he took me aside and pointed out various good or not so good items he had found. It worked well I thought.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:34 PM   #34

City: West Vancouver
Vessel Model: 50' Gulf Commander
sent you a PM
nmuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:44 PM   #35
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I totally agree, Art. I was taken aback when I read that the surveyor "warned" to leave him alone during the survey.

Maybe he has his reasons....did he tell you why you should leave him alone during the survey? Are you allowed to be present? Can you observe his work? Can you ask questions when it's done?

Sorry to be the doubting Thomas here, and I could very well be wrong...but I don't like the smell of this.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:17 AM   #36

City: Benicia CA
If he gives you plenty of time after the inspection to explain and show everything he found, then I don't see a big problem. This is what Schmidt did with me.

If he doesn't want to be bothered after the inspection either, and wants to give you a report on a piece of paper only - big problem.

Make sure what he's willing to do this first and foremost.
Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:25 AM   #37
Art
Guru

Yo, Bligh - This "Mr." Parker first name of Jon... he have very squeaky voice?

Just wondering!
Old 03-18-2014, 01:00 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Tom,

No worries with Stacey, he has got you covered and has been working with marine engines for many many years. If you have Brandon as your surveyor, he really get intense on the inspection. Some brokers don't like him because he does his job for the buyer (his boss), not the seller. I asked a few questions while he was there and he then talked to me afterwards.

If you do not have inspection plates (like I did) get CSS to put them in. The tanks will get a visual inspection, but the inspection ports make it much better in getting into the hard to reach areas of the tank to get the sediment. Of course you can't get 100%, but they can get 98% of it. I had all this done before heading under the Gate as I did not want plugged filters in the open ocean.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:32 AM   #39
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Soooo.....how did it go?
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:40 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
Soooo.....how did it go?
Thanks for asking. I am digesting the surveys now. Nothing major. Actually everything major is in pretty good shape. Here is a brief summary of the items that need attention;

Engine room
Engine checked out well- needs regular maint. oil change, new hoses and belts, but thats it.
Genny checked out fine. needs oil change, needs new impeller.
Engine room need new raw water hose
Boat needs all new batteries; house, genny, main, bow thruster.
New hydraulic hoses needed for stern thruster from swimstep to solenoid valve.

Pilothouse
Needs new VHF antenna
Needs new mast. (missing?)- not on survey , just me
Needs existing radar installed on new mast. -not on survey,just me

Bottom:
Needs new zincs and new paint

Lazarett - ok

Head: ok

Main salon.
LP tank needs recertification

Deck cockpit drains need to be rebedded.

Hull. sound. no signs of damage. tap tested fine. paint faded.

Structure fine.

No leaks anywhere. Engine room clean.

interior clean.

no surprises.

Needs stuff updated like flares, pump out signs , etc. Normal stuff I suppose.

Some exterior wiring or solar panels and satellite dish (not sure of name) needs to be cleaned up.

The owner has offered to split the cost of the batteries (and me install them). I think he should pay for all of them, but Im not going to let $600 stop the deal at this point.

The boat is sound. I'm going for it.