Nordic Tug "ballasted keel" ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Benthic2

Guru
I've got a question for the Nordic Tug owners or those that know about them...

I was looking at Yachtworld and came accross an add ( link below ) for an NT that was "ordered with ballasted keel for a smooth and pleasant ride". I've looked at a lot of NT ads and had never seen that before. Did NT's have an option for a special keel ? Do other manufacturers do this ? I could see having ballast added if you didn't opt for something heavy like if you opt for a single engine instead of twins, or if you don't get the generator, so the final weight is what the designers wanted, but this sounds like a different keel ???

Thoughts ?

1987 Nordic Tugs 32 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

It's just a design modification for a heavier keel offered by builder. Anytime you order a boat made, you can specify--within certain ranges--the weight of the keel.

A heavier keel will cause the boat to roll less and be even more wind resistant. It will also be harder to broach or capsize. The penalty is that top speed will be lower, more fuel will be needed to maintain cruising speed, and the boat will be less agile in turns.

I would think that it also increases your draft.

Wonder if it is capable of exceeding hull speed. Those boats have high-horsepower single engines (several times more than mine) to exceed.

They can travel at 14-17knots.

After adding 1400# of lead ingots to our 27' Marben to offset the OP going lean on fuel /water tankage capacity. the difference in fuel burn due to adding this weight is less than mentionable. Ran about 1.25 gallons prior and 1.5 gallons currently. included in that increase, admittedly, the increase in RPMs to make up for the added weight. Where I ran at 1400-1450 to make average hull speed of 6.7, I now run at 1500-1550 and achieve that average speed again.
Point: The increase in fuel burn and RPM is slight when the ride of the boat is so improved with the added weight. By the way, these boats came out of the factory with 1500# of lead keel as standard construction.

Boat turns on a dime and level. Can not say enough about center line ballast.

Al-Ketchikan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom