Nordic Tug 37 - setup for salmon fishing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RCook

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Dream Catcher
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37-065
After 25 years as trailer-boat cruisers, it appears we will soon be wandering around in a 37 Nordic Tug. Wow- it's hard to imagine! Seems like the only thing that won't be greatly improved is that fishing, particularly salmon trolling, will be more difficult.

If you have set up such a boat for salmon trolling, how did you do it? Trolling valve? Kicker? Or do you just fish from the dinghy?

If you do fish from the tug, how did you mount downriggers? I think I've seen fabricated SS mounts for them to bolt to. Where does one get these? What do they attach to?

Last edited:
Egad! That's a MAJOR change!!!!

Congrats :)

Richard, I used a troll valve on our last boat. It works but can be a little fussy. On one we had stabilizer pools and the stabies slowed the boat to the right speed, on another we pulled troll bags and currently we drag troll bags. My favorite was the stabilizer polls. I am not that familiar with your new boat but I would think mounting the down riggers 2-3 feet forward of the transom would be about right. I would also suggest long boom down riggers.

Congratulations on the new boat!

Congrats Richard! Which boat are you buying? Heading back to Alaska this summer?

Sorry, can't help with the fishing questions, but happy to help with NT questions.

Richard,
BC and SE Alaska is Scotty Downrigger country. I suggest do a search for them and you will find a dealer near you. Some dealers have them on sale this time of year. You will find parts available at sporting goods stores. I suggest buying a spare drive belt and switch. These are also available but come in handy when you are out on the troll grounds and need one. If you stop in Sitka, give me a shout and we will talk Downrigger fishing the Sitka area over some local food.

Thanks Murray - a major change indeed!

Thanks Sam, she's a 2002. What year is yours? Survey etc yet to come. Yes, back to Alaska - assuming I can get everything done, and learn how to operate the ship, soon enough to head north end of May. This year I get to do BC via water!

Thanks Old Deckhand,
I'm sold on Scotty's. Used their manual Strongarms for the last 25 years. This time I'll go with power. Should be able to install and wire them if I can figure out what to mount them on. Would love to meet you in Sitka this summer. What eatery would you suggest? We've stayed mostly within walking distance of the harbor, so haven't tried much other than Ludvig's.

Last edited:
It looks like the board has it covered. I have a friend with a 32' Nordic Tug and his transmission is mechanical, not fluid drive, so no option for a bypass valve. Idle on his boat with a 220 Cummins is about 6 knots, way too fast for trolling. I will be interested to hear how you deal with it and how happy you are with the results.

I offered him a sea anchor I salvaged off of a life raft re-pack, which brings up it's own problems, like cranking in the gear around the trailing drogue. I suggested to him that he could buoy the drogue and just drop it when he hooked up and landed the fish, then pick back up the buoy to reattach the drogue.

I love the fact that my boat idles down around 2 knots, perfect for trolling. I am a big fan of the Scotty Strong-arms too, I have a pair of manual ones on board. Keep us posted on your results!

Congratz on the new boat. Likely is is one that my wife and I were watching closely until we decided (OK, she decided) that we wanted a second cabin. I think you will really enjoy it.

Our NT42 came with Cannon Downriggers mounted on both sides of the cockpit. They seem to work well (I'm not a fisherman but have family who are fanatics).
Blue Sky also came with a troll valve that was electrically controlled; this brought the speed down from 4 knots at idle to around 2.5. For a variety of reasons we switched out the electric control to manual, which gives us infinite control from 4 knots down to 0.
One other consideration is an intercom system from the helm to the cockpit; this helps immensely.
The attached photo shows the general arrangement of the downriggers.

Attachments

• DSC_6346.jpg
    DSC_6346.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 185
My dad has a 25hp Honda mounted to the swim platform of his 30' Sundowner Tug. Been trolling for silvers that way in Valdez for years. Rear controls make it easy - even used it a couple times as a get home engine.

If he would, I'd bet Murray out of Kitamat would post his OB mount on his swim step. Both he and I have the set up. We use a 9.9 HI THRUST Yamaha. We can steer with the main rudder while fishing. One could use an extension handle if need be for throttle operation. Nice as it serves as your "Git a Home' motor. Ours pushes the 28' Marben pocket trawler at 4.5 plus knots with the tide at 3/4 throttle and about 2.5 against the tide. (depending on tidal flow, these being extreme)

Al-Ketchikan 28'Marben Pocket CRUISER

Richards, Ludvigs is good. We like Sea Moutain Golf Club. Membership not required and they have free ride service. While eating dinner we have seen bears on the course and Eagles stealing golfers balls. The Channel Club also has a free shuttle. Most folks think that you can only say you did Sitka if you have done the Pioneer Bar. Home Port Eatery in walking distance on Lincoln Street is good for lunch. The Westmark a Hotel in walking distance is the next best place for dinner. Now I am getting hungry, need to order at Pizza Express, they deliver to the harbor.

Hi Richard,

Here's a few photo's of the swiveling outboard bracket we got at Ken's Marine in Terrace, BC. with a Lehr 9.9hp propane outboard on it. Had to put a cutting board between bracket & swimstep so it could swivel easily on something smooth. (Livingston dinghy is long gone).

Attachments

• Badger outboard bracket.jpg
    Badger outboard bracket.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 131
  • Badger bracket stowed.jpg
    Badger bracket stowed.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Same here!

After 25 years as trailer-boat cruisers, it appears we will soon be wandering around in a 37 Nordic Tug. Wow- it's hard to imagine! Seems like the only thing that won't be greatly improved is that fishing, particularly salmon trolling, will be more difficult.

If you have set up such a boat for salmon trolling, how did you do it? Trolling valve? Kicker? Or do you just fish from the dinghy?

If you do fish from the tug, how did you mount downriggers? I think I've seen fabricated SS mounts for them to bolt to. Where does one get these? What do they attach to?

Richard, I just signed a purchase agreement on a 42 NT and am going to outfit it for salmon and trout fishing on the Great Lakes. I'd love to learn what worked for you (and what didn't!). My main concerns are getting to a trolling speed of 2 knots and getting enough width on the transom to mount down rigger plates and rod holders. I currently have five Canon Mag 20's and the mounting plates are 4" square, and it looks like ~2.5" of width to play with. Any other suggestions are welcome, thanks!

Mounting Downriggers

Our NT42 came with Cannon Downriggers mounted on both sides of the cockpit. They seem to work well (I'm not a fisherman but have family who are fanatics).
Blue Sky also came with a troll valve that was electrically controlled; this brought the speed down from 4 knots at idle to around 2.5. For a variety of reasons we switched out the electric control to manual, which gives us infinite control from 4 knots down to 0.
One other consideration is an intercom system from the helm to the cockpit; this helps immensely.
The attached photo shows the general arrangement of the downriggers.

Conrad, how are those downriggers mounted? Can I get a closer photo? I am (hopefully) purchasing a NT 42 and would like to move my Canon downriggers over to the tug, when the time comes. Thanks!

I'll send a number of photos, each via one post - I can't seem to post more than one at a time, presumably because the files are so big.

Attachments

• DSC_1344.jpg
    DSC_1344.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 107
I think these are all self explanatory, but don't hesitate to ask questions.

Attachments

• DSC_1345.jpg
    DSC_1345.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 90
#3 of 5

Attachments

• DSC_1346.jpg
    DSC_1346.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 86
#4 of 5

Attachments

• DSC_1347.jpg
    DSC_1347.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 73
#5 of 5. These photos are of two different but identical downriggers (port & starboard) so the context is slightly different.

Attachments

• DSC_1348.jpg
    DSC_1348.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 60
Being in SoCal, I don't fish Salmon but reading this thread was informative.
I have fished a lot of salmon at Whalers Cove Lodge in S.E. Alaska and know the importance of achieving the right speed. Great thread!:blush:

the link below is from a few owners ago when my boat was for sale. Some of the specs have changed, but the boat looks the same and theres a pic of the downrigger mounts that were made for it. Let me know if you'd like any other pics. We had been following the advice of the PO and trolling on one motor, which lead to other potential problems I know now but didn't know then, but we were going at about 3mph. Maybe a little too fast but we did catch some kings and silvers before my starboard motor broke. If you're not opposed to being redneck, a 5 gallon bucket or two dragging slowed us down to 2-2.5 and was a pretty cheap solution to get a little slower.

https://www.alaskaboatbrokers.com/listings_detail.php?id=1177

NT37 Fishing Setup update:

Been wandering around SE Alaska for the last several weeks. Installed Scotty electric downriggers, using their right-angle mount, which attaches to the inside of the cockpit and rests on gunwale top, somewhat similar to the pictures posted above. Easy to install, seems plenty sturdy enough. Easy to remove and get most of it out of the way when not in use. Top of gunwale on the 37 is about 4" wide.

Ran wiring for 12V power plug from the stern thruster battery in the lazarette. Using the mount and power source for a Scotty pot puller also - a marvelous little device which has brought us a couple hundred spot prawns so far. Yum! Crabbing and halibut fishing works just fine as well.

Wow is the electric downrigger nice compared to the manual I had on New Moon! Have not done a whole lot of trolling yet, but caught 10 coho in 2 hours on the outside of Yakobi Island, west of Elfin Cove, a couple of weeks ago. No trolling valve or kicker, just trolled at idle speed (3.5 knots), and sometimes took it out of gear on and off to go slower.

Biggest difficulty is cleaning the fish and cleaning up after - no salt water washdown in the cockpit yet. I am pretty much decided against the trolling valve. Still considering the kicker.

Richard, would it be possible to simply troll in reverse as a way of reducing speed?

Steve

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom