Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-03-2016, 03:54 PM   #21
City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
#5 of 5. These photos are of two different but identical downriggers (port & starboard) so the context is slightly different.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1348.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	53786  

Berthed in
Campbell River BC
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:09 AM   #22
City: Ishpeming
That's perfect, thank you!

Rich906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:56 AM   #23
City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Being in SoCal, I don't fish Salmon but reading this thread was informative.
I have fished a lot of salmon at Whalers Cove Lodge in S.E. Alaska and know the importance of achieving the right speed. Great thread!
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:26 PM   #24
Veteran Member
City: Sitka, AK
Vessel Name: Magnetic North
Vessel Model: 1985 Californian 34
the link below is from a few owners ago when my boat was for sale. Some of the specs have changed, but the boat looks the same and theres a pic of the downrigger mounts that were made for it. Let me know if you'd like any other pics. We had been following the advice of the PO and trolling on one motor, which lead to other potential problems I know now but didn't know then, but we were going at about 3mph. Maybe a little too fast but we did catch some kings and silvers before my starboard motor broke. If you're not opposed to being redneck, a 5 gallon bucket or two dragging slowed us down to 2-2.5 and was a pretty cheap solution to get a little slower.

robs523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:01 PM   #25

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 37 2002
NT37 Fishing Setup update:

Been wandering around SE Alaska for the last several weeks. Installed Scotty electric downriggers, using their right-angle mount, which attaches to the inside of the cockpit and rests on gunwale top, somewhat similar to the pictures posted above. Easy to install, seems plenty sturdy enough. Easy to remove and get most of it out of the way when not in use. Top of gunwale on the 37 is about 4" wide.

Ran wiring for 12V power plug from the stern thruster battery in the lazarette. Using the mount and power source for a Scotty pot puller also - a marvelous little device which has brought us a couple hundred spot prawns so far. Yum! Crabbing and halibut fishing works just fine as well.

Wow is the electric downrigger nice compared to the manual I had on New Moon! Have not done a whole lot of trolling yet, but caught 10 coho in 2 hours on the outside of Yakobi Island, west of Elfin Cove, a couple of weeks ago. No trolling valve or kicker, just trolled at idle speed (3.5 knots), and sometimes took it out of gear on and off to go slower.

Biggest difficulty is cleaning the fish and cleaning up after - no salt water washdown in the cockpit yet. I am pretty much decided against the trolling valve. Still considering the kicker.
Richard Cook
Dream Catcher (Nordic Tug 37)
New Moon (Bounty 257, Volvo KAD44P)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:25 AM   #26
City: Port Townsend WA
Vessel Name: Panope
Vessel Model: Colvin Saugeen Witch, Aluminum
Richard, would it be possible to simply troll in reverse as a way of reducing speed?

If I visualize my boat without a mast, I see a trawler.
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote