Old 12-25-2019, 03:05 PM   #41
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Magneto,
Welcome to the Forum, and Merry Christmas.
I have little to no experience either offshore or on boats as large as what you are considering. However, I have spent time on both KK's that my good friends have owned. They now own a KK 52 and previously owned a KK 44, both being great boats.
My advice is based mainly on my experience boating for over 15 years here in the Pacific Northwest (including Canada), and on what I consider "common sense". By the way, it does sound like you are going about this process in a well thought out manner.
As you do not have any (or very limited) experience owning, operating, or maintaining a boat such as you are contemplating, if I were you, I would not buy new. It sounds like you do not have the knowledge to make good decisions (to be able to truly meet your needs) during the build and commissioning processes. Like others have wisely stated, purchasing a relatively new "used" boat that has been well maintained and operated by a knowledgeable, careful owner will pay off in many ways (financial among them, but most importantly in time to "prepare" the boat for cruising your way). This advice is for the purchase of your "dream boat" for offshore cruising.

However, right now, based on your stated lack of cruising experience, I feel that you are not yet equipped to "know what you really want, need, or don't want" in a boat for such a purpose! I like the advice given earlier to take your time (at least a bit of it), and charter or buy a similar but smaller boat and cruise it for a year or so (coastal cruising) to get the feel for the lifestyle and the features that may prove to be important to you for achieving your goals. Boats such as the N43, KK 39 or KK 44 are examples of "smaller boats" you could learn on and gain experience in the lifestyle, operation, etc. All of those boats should be good from the point of view of future "resale" as well. You never know, even your goals may change as a result of the knowledge you gain by doing this.

If you do "graduate" to the larger, offshore boat, then I also advise to take your time. Get experience with the models you get serious about. Just a quick seatrial and observation may not be enough to truly understand all of the pros and cons of each brand/model in that size of a boat. They are very complicated and complex, with a multitude of options, systems, etc.
Anyway, take your time, and enjoy the entire process of learning the necessary skills and knowledge to achieve your goals (even if they change).
Old 12-25-2019, 03:12 PM   #42
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificBlue View Post
I would lean away from a fixed speed cruiser, typically 7 - 8 knots, and pick a Dashew type vessel that gives you a broader speed range/advantage .

The versatility gives you more options/flexibility in your globe trotting plans.

I'm a big fan of Dashew and his boats, but think they are optimized backwards to the way most people cruise. Even the most intrepid world cruisers who I know spend no more than 5% of their time on long passages. The other 95% is spent day tripping, at anchor, and in marinas.

To me, the FPB (and similarly inspired boats) are optimized for ocean crossing, and OK on a day to day basis. Where the Nordhavn and KK proposed by the OP are optimized for day to day use, yet also capable of ocean crossings. Personally I'd rather have a boat optimized for how I use it 95% of the time, rather than the 5% when I'm making a crossing.
Old 12-25-2019, 03:17 PM   #43
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I'm a big fan of Dashew and his boats, but think they are optimized backwards to the way most people cruise. Even the most intrepid world cruisers who I know spend no more than 5% of their time on long passages. The other 95% is spent day tripping, at anchor, and in marinas.

To me, the FPB (and similarly inspired boats) are optimized for ocean crossing, and OK on a day to day basis. Where the Nordhavn and KK proposed by the OP are optimized for day to day use, yet also capable of ocean crossings. Personally I'd rather have a boat optimized for how I use it 95% of the time, rather than the 5% when I'm making a crossing.
I agree, having a comfortable "Home" is the number 1 priority for us. Many boats designed for open water crossings are not comfortable in port or anchor. Sailboats are a good example.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 03:36 PM   #44
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificBlue View Post
I would lean away from a fixed speed cruiser, typically 7 - 8 knots, and pick a Dashew type vessel that gives you a broader speed range/advantage .

The versatility gives you more options/flexibility in your globe trotting plans.
If I was looking at spending the coin the op is talking about I would go custom built alloy power cat.

Speed
Economy
Stability without the need of add-ons
Shallow draft
Ability to dry out for maintenance
Space.

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 07:09 PM   #45
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
... I like the idea of a slightly used boat that someone realized they couldn’t afford or a change in health or relationship status forces the sale and offers opportunity for people like me...
There may be other less noble reasons "a slightly used boat" is offered for sale.
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 07:43 PM   #46
Veteran Member

City: St Augustine
Vessel Name: MV Moondance
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 35#20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
There may be other less noble reasons "a slightly used boat" is offered for sale.
You mean like a chalk outline still visible in the dining room?

Carol & John
N35 #20 MV Moondance
Magneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 07:57 PM   #47
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
You mean like a chalk outline still visible in the dining room?
Could be,but I was thinking more of a boat that looks good but is really a crock of the proverbial. Or as "Southern Boater" once put it, "a well polished turd".
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 08:11 PM   #48

City: Henderson, NV
Vessel Name: HI-HO
Vessel Model: Diesel Duck 462 (my fantasy)
On your initial thread, I recommended the steel-hulled Diesel Ducks, and it looks like the DD 426 would meet your requirements. For example, they have a spacious aft master stateroom and their engine room is standup, amidships, w/ a workbench & vise. Single engine, but a sail rig can be spec'd for get-home & stabilization.

That is, if and when you decide you'd like to cross oceans. You can buy a new DD 462 for about $600k. Owner blogs I've read, describing their ocean passage experiences attest to their seaworthiness. Problems arose from various system issues, not the boat, itself.

I could go on, but refer you to these resources:

The Troller Yacht Book by George Buehler.

https://www.yachtworld.com/seahorsem...ine/index.html For starters.

South Pacific Familyadventure 2008 Claes Brodin, a Swedish doctor, bought a new 462 at the China factory in 2007, and has been sailing it these past 12 years w/ family & friends. He recounts taking delivery in China and working w/ Seahorse Marine in commissioning it.

Archives-archives Jeff Appel's experience w/ his 462 began in 2014, also picking it up at the China factory and sailing it west to east across the Pacific to the US. He & a crew member had fun despite opposing currents and headwinds.

I offer this, not as a dealer or owner, as I am old & landlocked, but I have researched the DD and IF I could, I would buy the DD 462, hands down. I think it will check all your boxes when you're ready.
ddw36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 08:47 PM   #49
Veteran Member

I must say that one of the best Christmas gifts was all the advice I received here today.

My wife Carol and I reread all the post and feel good about the direction we are going in. We love the lines and everything that comes with the Nordhavn including the geeky club. I’m just glad I have not heard back negative things on the one boat we liked the most.

Years ago I purchased a Jeep Rubicon. I soon discovered the geeky family I bought in to. Before I knew it I was off-roading in groups, posting on Jeep blogs and going where a lot of 4X4’s couldn’t. I feel Nordhavn is like a Jeep of the sea. Capable of going anywhere. Is it crazy to say this? I can compare the similarities. A jeep Rubicon is at home rock crawling on top of mountain like hills where a Land Rover can’t follow. That may be 5% of its use and the rest is driving around town and to work with bad gas millage. The Jeep club thing and activities with other Jeeps, add another 5%. I still would not trade it for a more comfortable vehicle with better gas millage. We call it a Jeep thing.

We are not committed to a Nordhavn but it is most certainly top of our list. It seems from my research and the comments here that this trawler is made for the open sea and extended crossings but sacrifice comfort space? Not sure about that but I don’t have the experience with this boat to comment on any of this. But as an engineer, I can see that this boat was designed to travel the world and not lie at anchor. That suites my lifestyle fine because we are happiest when we retract our hydraulic jacks, bring in our sliders and make for the open road to our next destination in our RV. The journey is what we are after.

We want to be able to follow in the wakes of any of the trawler adventures on YouTube we watch regularly. If they can do it, we most certainly can.

I thank everyone for your advice today and wish everyone a Merry Christmas. I leave you with my favorite quote:

"Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving. We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it-but sail we must and not drift, nor lie at anchor." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Old 12-26-2019, 12:11 AM   #50
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Magneto, I have followed most of this thread, and noted quite a few suggest you look into the FPB type of vessel, pioneered by a fellow called Steve Dashew and his wife, who had one built (in NZ) called Wind Horse. FPB apparently stands for Fast Pilot Boat, and the essential characteristics they are based on is the narrow beam, usually aluminium construction, (strong plus light), and ability to actually plane under certain conditions, utilising the long (for width) waterline length and hul shape to do so without horrendous fuel consumption.

Here are a couple of links, just in case you didn't follow this line of advice up yet..? They are not what one could call 'beautiful looking' boats, but very business-like. A classic example of form following function. However, Twisted Tree's advice re having a boat designed for 95% of your preferred use, being better than one designed for the 5% of use where speed is of the essence is well worth considering.

https://setsail.com/category/dashew-offshore/

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...oats&FORM=IGRE
Old 12-26-2019, 02:02 AM   #51

City: Tasmania
Vessel Model: Old Town Loon
Just for your own interest have a look at something like a Meridian 459 to do a bit of coastal cruising before you set out on your big adventure. We lived on ours full time for 2 years of coastal cruising and just loved the comfort and surprising seaworthiness of her.

I have a friend who is a professional master and has skippered all the boats your looking at. His advise is all will do the job. His picks are the Flemming and the Nordhavn although he does advise that with the Nordhavn the stabilizers are critical as if they fail in big seas the ride will become more than interesting. On one of the Nordhavn Atlantic rally's I believe this happened as well and they had to heave to. The Flemming with it low center of gravity does not suffer this problem.

As a professional engineer I don't think you can go past the engineering on the Flemming an the Nordhavn is in the same league.

You probably already know about these people but if not have a look at their site as they have already circumnavigated the world in their Nordhavn.

https://mvdirona.com/
Jetstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 03:25 AM   #52

City: Guernsey, Channel islands
Vessel Name: Play d'eau
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
Quote:
I thank everyone for your advice today and wish everyone a Merry Christmas. I leave you with my favorite quote:

"Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving. We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it-but sail we must and not drift, nor lie at anchor." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
A really great quote. Thank you.

Mine is: 'Live life as though the gate's been left open.'
Old 12-26-2019, 07:08 AM   #53
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Magneto
Some alternative thinking.

According to Nordhavn about 1 of 5 Ns actually cross oceans in the first owner's hands. This means, like many of the 4 wheelers out there, the N vessels seldom are utilized to their maximum design envelope.

The penalty for choosing an N for a coastal cruiser is they are slow in comparison to a Fleming or similar vessels like an Offshore, Hampton or Outer Reef. One N that remains a favorite is the N57, with the last ones built around 2006. The 57 is faster than many other Ns by a fair margin. With some as required electronics upgrades, systems replacements and cosmetic work a refreshed 57 remains a much appreciated and sought after faster N model.

Nordhavn also makes the "fast" Coastal Pilot (CP) version that competes well with the Fleming 55 and 57. One lightly used one is for sale on the East Coast. If I were in your shoes I'd hustle to look at that low hour vessel. Much less costly than a Fleming and with the great N build quality and backup. And, you'd be able to be part of the 80% N club, except getting there faster.

Last but not least, don't forget about KK. Like Nordhavn, they are popular, sell well on the used market and are like a Swiss Army knife when picking uses. A few years ago we were looking at a 52 new build. That vessel with twin keels, twin JD 4045s and a nice overall design checks off a lot of boxes. And with a bit of fuel management, like most KKs can be an ocean crosser. TF member Richard has cruised his KK 42 extensively, crossing oceans and both NA coasts extensively.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 07:35 AM   #54
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Magneto
Some alternative thinking.

According to Nordhavn about 1 of 5 Ns actually cross oceans in the first owner's hands. This means, like many of the 4 wheelers out there, the N vessels seldom are utilized to their maximum design envelope.

The penalty for choosing an N for a coastal cruiser is they are slow in comparison to a Fleming or similar vessels like an Offshore, Hampton or Outer Reef. One N that remains a favorite is the N57, with the last ones built around 2006. The 57 is faster than many other Ns by a fair margin. With some as required electronics upgrades, systems replacements and cosmetic work a refreshed 57 remains a much appreciated and sought after faster N model.

Nordhavn also makes the "fast" Coastal Pilot (CP) version that competes well with the Fleming 55 and 57. One lightly used one is for sale on the East Coast. If I were in your shoes I'd hustle to look at that low hour vessel. Much less costly than a Fleming and with the great N build quality and backup. And, you'd be able to be part of the 80% N club, except getting there faster.

Last but not least, don't forget about KK. Like Nordhavn, they are popular, sell well on the used market and are like a Swiss Army knife when picking uses. A few years ago we were looking at a 52 new build. That vessel with twin keels, twin JD 4045s and a nice overall design checks off a lot of boxes. And with a bit of fuel management, like most KKs can be an ocean crosser. TF member Richard has cruised his KK 42 extensively, crossing oceans and both NA coasts extensively.
In 2004, I delivered a new N57 from Dana Point to Ft Lauderdale. By far my favorite Nordhavn in the fleet - to paraphrase TT, her over-engineered and over-sized systems qualified as a big-little boat.

And she was fast. 500 engine hours. 4600 nms. 6 gph. About 9.25 kts average in open ocean, including a 5-days of slop coming north from the Canal. 28-days door to door (fuel in Acapulco, fuel and Canal transit in Panama City, then straight to Ft Lauderdale).

I also delivered an N57 from Dana Point to Cabo, about 1000 nms. Also ran about 9.25 kts at 6gph.

Only think I'd change is I didn't care for the bulbous bow. Could be noisy in a head sea and I question how much benefit there is.

One of the great boats of all time. Fantastic boat for a couple.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 08:37 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Magneto, I have followed most of this thread, and noted quite a few suggest you look into the FPB type of vessel, pioneered by a fellow called Steve Dashew and his wife, who had one built (in NZ) called Wind Horse. FPB apparently stands for Fast Pilot Boat, and the essential characteristics they are based on is the narrow beam, usually aluminium construction, (strong plus light), and ability to actually plane under certain conditions, utilising the long (for width) waterline length and hul shape to do so without horrendous fuel consumption.

Here are a couple of links, just in case you didn't follow this line of advice up yet..? They are not what one could call 'beautiful looking' boats, but very business-like. A classic example of form following function. However, Twisted Tree's advice re having a boat designed for 95% of your preferred use, being better than one designed for the 5% of use where speed is of the essence is well worth considering.

https://setsail.com/category/dashew-offshore/

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...oats&FORM=IGRE
Thank You we did look at the videos in your link and I must say I am open to owning a FPB. The speed is very impressive and the safety of the design works for me. It's interesting to see a boat like this perform in normal rough seas and even right itself from a full rollover. Most other videos show off their boats in perfect sea conditions or at anchor. These FPB videos film and walk through while underway and in heavy seas. Impressive!

We will definitely keep an open mind to trying one out.

Carol & John
N35 #20 MV Moondance
Old 12-26-2019, 08:38 AM   #56
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Only think I'd change is I didn't care for the bulbous bow. Could be noisy in a head sea and I question how much benefit there is.
Or as some within N ranks say, the bulbous bow is why the 57 is the quick and fuel efficient vessel it is. For sure a 4 beer discussion with the tank testing and modeling experts.
Old 12-26-2019, 09:44 AM   #57
Guru

City: LI or Fla
As a systems guy your transition to this dimension shouldn't be too difficult. One thing that will come up is the ideal boat for such an undertaking is a large sail boat, simple, lower maint cost, reliable, etc.... Don't rule them out, but if you do rule them out because of comfort and luxury, this endeavor (circumnavigation), might not be for you...
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:07 AM   #58
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
6. Protected prop from ice, rocks and logs
None of the above. You want a steel boat, not plastic if you plan on entering the ice.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:27 AM   #59
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Or as some within N ranks say, the bulbous bow is why the 57 is the quick and fuel efficient vessel it is. For sure a 4 beer discussion with the tank testing and modeling experts.
Well, according to none other than Jim Leishman himself, the tank test results improved fuel efficiency, not speed (see 2017 PMM article below). If you read to the end, you'll notice real-world test on a 75-footer that had a bulbous bow added post-commissioning. According to Leishman, detailed measurements were taken before and after, yet they were unable to draw any conclusions.

Finally, this is the same team - PAE + BC Tank Testing - that concluded "Maintenance Strakes," the bulges in the hull that enable standing headroom in the N40, actually improve performance. Don't get me wrong - I love the concept and think it's a great idea and trade-off. But "improve performance?" Gimme a break - for as much as I respect PAE/Nordhavn, some of their claims are unnecessarily puffed-up.

https://www.passagemaker.com/web-ext...xs-bulbous-bow
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 11:03 AM   #60
Guru

mvw
Yup, the bulbous bow concept and actual use can get confusing. A very smart friend had a bulbous bow added to his DeFever recently. He is ecstatic, not necessarily for any gains in fuel or flat water speed but for lesser pitching in big seas which allow him to then run faster. Commercial guys I've talked with say similar things on their 50 to 80 foot fishing vessels, big weather pluses.

Modeling and flat water sea trials may not tell the full tale. Lest I digress though, the 57 is as you note and others have found, a faster globe girdling Nordhavn than other Ns in the same size range.