Old 01-18-2016, 11:37 PM   #21

City: Dayton, OH
I'd write a check for one of these Econo-models.
It's only money.

Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:51 PM   #22

City: Tasmania
Vessel Model: Old Town Loon
If that's the type, quality and sized boat you are after I would look at the Fleming 78 as well. A superb boat by all accounts and it would be my choice out of that group. Fleming 78 Yachts Foot Luxury Motor Yachts
Jetstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:02 AM   #23

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
If that's the type, quality and sized boat you are after I would look at the Fleming 78 as well. A superb boat by all accounts and it would be my choice out of that group. Fleming 78 Yachts Foot Luxury Motor Yachts
As beautiful a boat that they are I'm not sure I'd want to do an "Atlantic Crossing" in a semi-displacement Fleming. Just Sayin'
Old 01-19-2016, 12:27 AM   #24

City: Tasmania
Vessel Model: Old Town Loon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Duck 492 View Post
As beautiful a boat that they are I'm not sure I'd want to do an "Atlantic Crossing" in a semi-displacement Fleming. Just Sayin'
With her low C of G I think she would be the safest and most comfortable of the lot. I'd do it in a heart beat.

http://www.flemingyachts.com/owners/stories3.html

Jetstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:52 AM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Back to your original list. Nordhavn is worthy of consideration. I wouldn't consider Selene to be at their level for transatlantic crossings. Now would I put the Horizon EP there. As to Northern, bankrupt, busted, gone.

Now, I am a fan of Bering but I wouldn't ever select the first delivery in a specific range by a builder and to my knowledge, they've not delivered a boat in that range. Seaton, I'd give consideration to. Then my first choice in that size range would be a Fleming 78.

Of course you indicate you like watersports and fishing and all these have some limitations in that regard. There are other boats worthy of consideration as well, such as a Hatteras 100.

I'd suggest lots of studying and some chartering before rushing toward a choice.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:57 AM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Duck 492 View Post
Fleming's have an impeccable history of crossings in that range. In fact, lots of ocean crossing in 55's and 65's. However, in fairness, much of that is Tony Fleming and that's almost like cheating due to his experience.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:07 AM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Ohana
Vessel Model: DeFever 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Dock mate (man and wife team) off to Hawaii in a cement ketch:

You know what is weird...this boat made it to australia...just...and our docked at my marina now. What a small boating world. They had quite an adventure with fire on board a 10 foot narrow head on miss in the middle of pacific...anyway the boat is here now. Needs lots of work. Amazing it made it.
Bohans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:18 AM   #28

City: Panama
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
Sail boat or motor- sailor if you intend to cross oceans. The right motor boat will work but that is not as practical and usually more expensive. If you go big boat and do not already have lots of experience and I doubt you do, for why would you be asking opinion here if you were an old salt. you may have a lot to learn so if that is the case you might as well get involved in sail then if you still go for power your sail experience will make you the better boater. When you look at all the boats doing long range cruising throughout the world you will find very few pure power craft vs sail. Of course this is not the site to emphasis that for this is the Trawler Forum.
I guess I´m a little bit impatient, I want it now and maybe I have to get some experience yes of course . I´m planning to join an Atlantic Crossing on board a 42 sailboat with a friend that has already 4 crossings each way from Brazil to Portugal (he delivers boats) and then I will see. We have already owned once a 60 feet motoryacht but did only coastal trips in the Mediterranean, Malaga and around.

My wish is to take my dad to some remote harbors and I don´t want to make it when he will be 80.

Another plan can be to book a charter with him and experience before buying any ideas ... ?

And thanks everybody you all are Great !!!

pd : Bering yatchs look amazing , not classic but very impressive
Seamaster74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:02 AM   #29
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
So you are looking to build a new boat but want to go before dad is too old?

An old adage says if it flies, floats or ,,, well, you know, it's far cheaper to rent than to own it. Book a charter yacht and leave next week. You can contemplate which boat to buy while crossing the equator.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:05 AM   #30
FF
Guru

For a better selection it might be interesting to cruise the Euro yacht offerings.

Far easier to find a class A ocean worthy there than in the USA.

Used will save at least half or more of new and take 1 or 2 years less to be RFS,( Ready for Sea.)
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:12 AM   #31
Guru

City: Seattle
This may not be an issue for someone considering a boat with a large budget, but there are various "steps" in boat length which have big impacts on country's cruising fees, finding slips, surcharges for marina fees, availability to services, international regs, etc. Generally I believe the steps are at 12meters, then 15, 20, 24. Anything above 24 meters is considered a ship. I recall something from my charter days that if your vessel has a fuel capacity of 10,000 gallons then refueling (even just a few gallons) requires floating booms. There was a thread on the forum years ago where a fellow with a 96 footer claimed it cost him about 100 grand a year in cruising fees, fuel, upkeep, crew, etc.

No matter the level of wealth, it pays to do one's research very thoroughly before committing to any size boat. There are plenty of 30 million dollar yachts on the market by owners who just couldn't comprehend what is involved in big yacht ownership.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:14 AM   #32
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohans View Post
You know what is weird...this boat made it to australia...just...and our docked at my marina now. What a small boating world. They had quite an adventure with fire on board a 10 foot narrow head on miss in the middle of pacific...anyway the boat is here now. Needs lots of work. Amazing it made it.
That's amazing good time for a Porpoise. Left San Francisco yesterday and arrived Australia today!
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:42 AM   #33
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
The cement ketch is here, now, in Vallejo, California. Their trip to Hawaii was canceled due to mechanical failure while exiting the Golden Gate. They had previously made, however, a round-trip across the Pacific.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:48 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
There was a thread on the forum years ago where a fellow with a 96 footer claimed it cost him about 100 grand a year in cruising fees, fuel, upkeep, crew, etc.
If crew is involved, the captain alone will cost more than that.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:07 PM   #35

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
If you look on this site in the Commercial Market section you will find my listing on a 2002 80' Northern Marine that is right outside the window of my office. The owner has a bigger expedition yacht now and has lowered the price on this boat to show his motivation.
I have discussed a lot with him about how he used the boat and how a potential buyer might use it. He ran the boat himself and said that with both bow and stern thrusters it was still easy to handle around the dock. Of course for Trans Atlantic crossings your insurance carrier may require paid professional crew along.
He also told me that I should emphasize that buyers need not plan on long distance crossings but to emphasize the endurance capabilities instead. With any of the long distance expedition yachts mentioned one can cruise from Florida though the Bahamas and the Caribbean without the need to refuel often or go into marinas all the time. Fuel can be obtained in larger quantities when needed for bigger discounts for higher amounts, and from sources that may have better quality control over the fuel. With 1000 gallon fresh water capacity, two water makers and with three generators self sufficiency is a given.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:19 PM   #36
Guru

Nice boat and back during the period prior to any of the bankruptcies of various Northern Marine's. Unfortunately, the OP is asking about a new build and that is not a possibility.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:20 PM   #37
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce
Their trip to Hawaii was canceled due to mechanical failure while exiting the Golden Gate.
Wish I had a boat buck (whatever that is) for every starry-eyed couple who departed Vancouver or Victoria by oar, power or sail destined, usually for Hawaii; half the crew bailing by Astoria, the other half by Frisco and the wife swimming ashore in San Diego.

That's why I admire the Vic Trawler adventure.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:24 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Wish I had a boat buck (whatever that is) for every starry-eyed couple who departed Vancouver or Victoria by oar, power or sail destined, usually for Hawaii; half the crew bailing by Astoria, the other half by Frisco and the wife swimming ashore in San Diego.

Wifey B: Well, we didn't make it to Hawaii on our west coast trip so that's next time, but I'm sure not swimming ashore in San Diego....
Old 01-19-2016, 12:27 PM   #39
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post

That's why I recommend charter first to the op. The used market has lots of nearly new boats for a reason. The husband built a boat the wife cannot stand. Believe Amadeus was just one of many.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:10 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
That's why I recommend charter first to the op. The used market has lots of nearly new boats for a reason. The husband built a boat the wife cannot stand. Believe Amadeus was just one of many.
Amadeus available for charter as are several other large Horizon boats, a couple of Hatteras 80's, and several Cheoy Lee's. Prices range from $25k to $70k. Also the price of chartering a boat in that range gives you a good indication of the cost of ownership. If you don't have paid crew, obviously the cost of ownership drops considerably.

An overview of the other costs. Four engines to maintain-2 propulsion, 2 generator. Cleaning, diving, bottom painting, periodic boat refits, maintaining water maker and two sets of thrusters and stabilizers, communication systems.

I'd estimate maintenance of the equipment to average $60k per year. That includes rebuilds every few years in that number. Deck and hull maintenance including haulouts and painting $50k average. Stablizers, thrusters, watermaker, heads, etc. another $15k average. Communication system and time another $25k. Then you toss in fuel and docking plus any crew costs even if it's just to wash the boat down.

Just saying if the cost of chartering scares you, then that probably tells you to reconsider or very carefully consider the cost of owning.