Nordhavn 46

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its tight around the engine room in a n46, under way my hourly er check evolved opening the access door and leaning in to my waist and looking around the port side, then from the salon
Lifting the floor hatch and looking down the stbd side or the engine. Of course sniffing for bad smells at both locations. I felt that crawling around to the back of the er hourly wasn't worth the risk of injury. The er in the n57 was big enough to play ping pong in and always got the full check.
Hollywood
I have been reading the responses to my OP, and have come away with the conclusion that perhaps this is not the vessel for us.

I am not much for "hands-and-knees" checks/maintenance, nor is a cramped salon appealing. While I am fully on-board with stabilization, para-vanes, at least for me, is not the solution on many levels.

Perhaps the follow-on model, the 47 is a better choice, or, perhaps, a Defever, if anyone is interested in commenting on that line.

Also, any opinions on a single main engine with the screw safely nestled behind the keel, vs twin engines with "exposed" screws/rudders?

Also, any opinions on a single main engine with the screw safely nestled behind the keel, vs twin engines with "exposed" screws/rudders?

Well that’s an even easier question to answer than which anchor is best, because everyone unanimously agrees a single is the only way to go :)

Well that’s an even easier question to answer than which anchor is best, because everyone unanimously agrees a single is the only way to go :)
Everyone?

Can you explain to me the rationale so I may better get my head around the issue?

Everyone?

Can you explain to me the rationale so I may better get my head around the issue?

It is a standard joke on TF.

Regarding your question on DeFevers. Many on TF have them and are happy. Best you look at a few in person to form your own thoughts. For sure though you'd like the ER and machinery access.

Don't forget about KKs. There comes a time that the Internet can only provide so much help. Shoe leather is required once you've done a short list. Great fun to assess each vessel's pros and cons - in person.

HaHa Sunchaser I wondered how long it would take you .. to respond to “DeFever”.

Twins .... ?
Most people (like me) think twins are better but they cost money. They become twins or singles at birth so the rest of us are stuck w hand-me-downds.

Thought of another inperfect thing bout the 46. If I had my choice I’d want one w a much more plumb stem or even vertical. Much longer forefoot, better directional stability and more speed from the longer WLL.
The highly raked stem of the 46 is a big part of her salty look though.

Dont overlook the American Tugs. They have a 40+ft nice looking trawler.

Everyone?

Diesels, especially pre common rail that you will find in most older boats, rarely break down if they have clean fuel and don't run out of coolant. For that reason, single screw is preferred by many because of lower maintenance costs and complexity, more engine room and generally better protection of the prop.

All that, plus the simple fact that most people who have twin engines are also cross-dressers. Or at least that was what I was told, I think by Sunchaser. :thumb:

It ‘s really a question of range. If you have twins and you have the range why not? However, most would consider a single with a get home option to be equal to twins. If a single is all the room you have then so be it.

Now when it comes to coastal cruising, range often gets replaced for speed. If you need speed then twins is what you want. Since there are so many different goals on TF, expect to get different answers.

I don't think I will ever have a boat big enough to have stabilizers, but I have found this to be an interested thread. I especially liked the video below:

I love reading threads on this forum. It's really great how folks with 50K boats have great discussions with folks with multi-million dollar boats. Given that this thread started with the discussion of a N46, I think that some of our members need to remember that not all folks can afford (or want) some of the newer, more expensive stuff for their boats.

Jim

If I had to start over I don't know if I would buy new again. I'm putting a lot of money in my new boat to configure it better for passage making. I would be fine with older electronics. I would shop hull form, range, stabilizers, tender, good refrigeration and it must have a good water maker. I think (for coastal) I would go with a Defever 49 pilot house with the softer chine. I like the dual engines with the amazing range. The freeboard is great. I like the plan with the master stateroom in the center vs the bow. The cost of the twins might be an issue as far as maintenance but they would be nice for a backup and speed.

For blue water I would go with Nordhavn. Maybe a 46 but preferably as big as I could afford which, would be an older N47. I would feel more comfortable in a >50'. No flybridge. Try to keep the center of gravity and windage as low as possible. Maybe a Kadey-Krogen 44 to KK48. The Northern Marines are lovely. Only one engine with a get home.

I don't know. What I do know is the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

Last edited:
All that, plus the simple fact that most people who have twin engines are also cross-dressers. Or at least that was what I was told, I think by Sunchaser. :thumb:

:rofl:

So do you think open-D would now like to know why everyone unanimously agrees a 6-71 Jimmy is the only way to go???

I have been reading the responses to my OP, and have come away with the conclusion that perhaps this is not the vessel for us.

I am not much for "hands-and-knees" checks/maintenance, nor is a cramped salon appealing. While I am fully on-board with stabilization, para-vanes, at least for me, is not the solution on many levels.

Perhaps the follow-on model, the 47 is a better choice, or, perhaps, a Defever, if anyone is interested in commenting on that line.

If you want a true blue water boat a single engine keel protected would be my first choice (with a smallish get home with folding prop). Not withstanding my previous comment about crawling around a N46 E.R. I wouldn't hesitate to own one and take it across an ocean. An annoyance yes.. deal killer.. nope. Just look at the track record.

Most folks who I have met that are cruisers base their choice of boat on it's capability vs. cost to both purchase, operate and maintain. Bluewater cruisers, both power and sail base their choice on the above vs. color, what countertops the boat has or what upholstery it has. The boat has to most importantly be safe, capable, and affordable to own and cruise...

Everybody has a least a idea of budget they want to spend. Would I choose a bigger Nordhavn (or other boat capable of the same thing) over a N46 if budget wasn't an issue.. you bet. But if it made the difference in being able to afford to go full time cruising, or not at all or for a limited amount of time due to budget I would get a N46, load it up, untie the lines and head across the horizon.

As a side note the cost difference in a 46 vs. 47 is + $300/400k.

$ 400,000 buys a lot of cruising .. that's why people buy a N46.

In a previous post somebody commented why if a 46 is such a great boat why do they sell them. A lot of Nordhavn owners start with a 46 and trade up at some point, some with a larger budget start bigger and trade up further. Nordhavn owners seem to be a pretty loyal group.

Now, on a different track.. what is your boat ownership experience? I ask not because I am worried you will untie the lines head West and never be seen again, but more to your views on what you need and what works in the offshore environment. For most of us on TF who have this kind of experience have formed our opinions over years of experience.. lots of it from doing the wrong thing and luckily living to be able to pass it on to others. We pretty much all start knowing little and if fortunate the cost wasn't too high.

Sorry to ramble on,

HOLLYWOOD

Diesels, especially pre common rail that you will find in most older boats, rarely break down if they have clean fuel and don't run out of coolant. For that reason, single screw is preferred by many because of lower maintenance costs and complexity, more engine room and generally better protection of the prop.

:lol::rofl:

Geez Delfin, I'm an undecided Gemini!

That said, some years ago we were on a nice vessel that every time we docked the owner started up the wing engine. I asked why, the answer being the hydraulic motor on the single main wouldn't adequately power the thrusters at low RPM. Even pseudo twins can have a need it would seem. Not to mention the thruster discussion of electric vs engine hydraulic vs an electric hydraulic unit at the location that got going.

Last edited:
Geez Delfin, I'm an undecided Gemini!

That said, some years ago we were on a nice vessel that every time we docked the owner started up the wing engine. I asked why, the answer being the hydraulic motor on the single main wouldn't adequately power the thrusters at low RPM. Even pseudo twins can have a need it would seem. Not to mention the thruster discussion of electric vs engine hydraulic vs an electric hydraulic unit at the location that got going.

I do the same thing to increase hydraulic flow, but with the genset, on which I mounted a large pump so both bow and stern thrusters could be spinning at the same time. Kind of a pain, but having lots of power on tap is also kind of nice.

Hollywood wrote;
“In a previous post somebody commented why if a 46 is such a great boat why do they sell them. A lot of Nordhavn owners start with a 46 and trade up at some point, some with a larger budget start bigger and trade up further. Nordhavn owners seem to be a pretty loyal group.”

Maybe that was the mission of the N35?

"every time we docked the owner started up the wing engine. I asked why, the answer being the hydraulic motor on the single main wouldn't adequately power the thrusters at low RPM."

Its also a good drill to exercise the wing engine , to be sure it works.

Less of a problem if the noisemaker produces hyd power and can perform get home duty.

nordhavn 46

Nordhavns are great boats for crossing oceans and not so great for cruising along the coast (although many people do so successfully). But it is a design optimized for open water.

As for stabilization, the attached article compares some of the options.

Before you fall in love with the boat (too late?), it pays to do some serious thinking about your cruising profile.

Attachments

• Stabilizers.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 71
There’s a great blog called “nordhavn dreamers” that is a good mine of information about Nordhavns.

The N 46 is a fantastic boat. I have been World Cruising for 19 Years, mostlý in a 48 foot cruising sailboat and I loved it. But one day I ran into a Nordhavn 46 (24) in miserably condition. I bought it and spend several years rebuilding it back to top condition. I fell in love with it and sold the Sailboat, put a 11 meter mast on the Nordhavn and wow, now I have a Motorsailer. With genoa and mainsail we do quite a good speed, absolutely not fast, but it help a lot on the diesel consuming, and further more, I dont need the "flubber stoppers" any more, because the sail stabilize the boat.
We are now getting a big downwind Screetcher, so we will continue our World Cruising.
We also added a dive platform on the stern with lots of storage room and a speciel room for the dive compressor.

The N 46 is a fantastic boat. I have been World Cruising for 19 Years, mostlý in a 48 foot cruising sailboat and I loved it. But one day I ran into a Nordhavn 46 (24) in miserably condition. I bought it and spend several years rebuilding it back to top condition. I fell in love with it and sold the Sailboat, put a 11 meter mast on the Nordhavn and wow, now I have a Motorsailer. With genoa and mainsail we do quite a good speed, absolutely not fast, but it help a lot on the diesel consuming, and further more, I dont need the "flubber stoppers" any more, because the sail stabilize the boat.
We are now getting a big downwind Screetcher, so we will continue our World Cruising.
We also added a dive platform on the stern with lots of storage room and a speciel room for the dive compressor.
That is great information. Sans engine, what speed can you get with just the sail on 20 knots of wind, sailing off wind?

We observed N46 GRYPHON for sale in Anacortes some years ago. She had duel masts, the larger being forward IIRC. I don’t remember if she had sails, but I think she had standing rigging to support sails. I have wondered how she would perform with sail assistance.

Any pics of your boat? Would love to see it!

No, but he might like to know what members think of the Hatteras LRC vessels.

In general, they are great boats if the model fits your needs/desires.

In specific, they are no longer produced so the condition of the one you are considering is critical, like any other used boat out there.

Aren't some of the older Detroit engines illegal in California?

EPA and other emission requirements are applicable as of the time they are implemented. They are not retroactively applied to pre-existing boats.

However, California is a weird place. You never know what tricks they might pull over there :confused:

Back
Top Bottom