Old 01-31-2011, 01:16 PM   #1

Nordhavn 35 Coastal Pilot

Any experience or opinions regarding these boats?* I know that 23 were sold from 2000 thru 2004 and that there were hull modifications from hull #7 on to acheive greater speed.* All were*powered with a single Yanmar 6LY-STE from 350hp to 420hp.
Thanks in advance.* Fortune Teller, a Newbie to the forum

Fortune Teller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
RE: Nordhavn 35 Coastal Pilot

Welcome to the forum. I will move this thread to general discussion for more exposure.

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

I can't really speak to the particulars of the N 35 but what has always struck me about this boat is it seems too small for it's designed purpose. You aren't going to do a circumnavigation with a N35 so why not save a ton of money and just get a "regular" trawler as any of them will be just fine for a coastal cruiser? If you went with a more traditional trawler you would get a lot more liveable area and space for a lot less money than the N35 but that is just my humble opinion.
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:04 PM   #4
Doc
Guru

I saw several of the first offs while on the East Coast a few years ago. The single complaint that I heard was that their engines had to spin up to higher rpms to get any speed unlike the larger N's with the Luggers. Thus, they were noisy. Yanmars are hi rev diesels.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:14 PM   #5
Grand Vizier

Fortune Teller, I have always liked the idea of the 35, mostly because we boat on the West Coast and such a vessel makes a lot of sense out here.* I had the Yanmar in an Albin 28 we owned for a couple of years between our sailing days and current trawler, and it seemed a solid, if smokey engine.* That said, it wouldn't be my choice for a power plant for a trawler, but others might disagree.*

The big objection is the price.* For half to 2/3 of what most want for a used 35, you can get 42' plus in a vessel that will serve the purpose as well or better.

Go to www.yachtworld.com and use their advanced search function and you'll see the point.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:44 PM   #6
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea

Fortune Teller: *I had looked seriously toward the Nordhavn 35 as one of the options to consider when selecting a versatile cruising mono-hull. *Most of the other boats we were looking at were powercats, so the relatively shallow draft and good turn of speed helped the 35's qualifications. *I was aboard one in Daytona Beach only a week or so ago. *It is a convincing specimen with its thick windows, squat pilothouse, heavy mast/boom rig, and vault-like cockpit door. *The thing looks like it could turn-turtle and not think about it. *But space, engine access, storage, etc. is a lot like other Nords....that is, it seems to follow function, which is not really necessary for a boat built FOR coastal cruising. *Deck access is wide and secure. *Ground tackle was an impressive SS Nordhavn anchor with all chain rode. *The mast had kind-of a crows nest, and was not something that one could bring down in a hurry in the case of a low bridge. *Combine that with a Nord price level and the economic compromise of a very big Yanmar pushing a semi-displacement hull......I dunno. * It's a Nordhavn, and no one could take that away from you, but I don't think one has to look very far to find a less pricier boat with just as many advantages and fewer compromises to boot. *In short, I think this baby Nord fullfills an itch but not a nitch. *My two cents.

-- Edited by healhustler on Monday 31st of January 2011 09:45:08 PM
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:29 AM   #7
FF
Guru

The Nordy's are mostly priced on DOCK STRUTTING ability.

As none of the small ones have the range for actual Ocean crossing , a Bayliner will do at 1/10 the cost what the Nordy will do but without STRUTTING rights.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:44 AM   #8
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Fortune Teller,

I seriously*looked at the N35*several years ago.* I got to know*a FL*Nordhavn broker fairly well.* We liked the look and felt that the boat was built as well as any boat out there.

Here is what we were told by the Nordhavn broker and*found to be true.

We had looked at several of the*35's that were for sale at the time.* We looked at one twice in fact and were taken on a*sea trial*in the boat.* All of the hulls under #7 will not get up on a plane even with the 370 Yanmar.* As you apply power the bow comes up and there is no way to get it to go down even with the trim tabs at full extension.* You can not see out the front of the boat. *This changed after hull #7*with hull #8.* Hence most of the ones for sale when we were looking*were the lower numbered hulls.

The story, from the Nordhavn Rep is as follows.* When the boat was designed it was designed to be a semi planing hull as opposed to all of*the other Nordhavns.* The boat was priced under the 40 by $150k and was excepted by the public extremely well.* So well that the first six or seven were sold at the Annapolis Power Boat Show*before number one*got out of the mold and finished*its sea trial.* As I understand it five and six were in the molds when the sea trial happened.* No matter what they did to it, number one*just would not get up on the step at all.* It would try but no cigar.* That is what the one we sea trialed did also.* So the decision was made to change the hull to a tunnel,*add a bigger wheel and the*gear reduction was changed to slow down the wheel*in speed.* This fixed the problem but by that time the damage had been done.* The word was out that the boat did not perform as advertised and it was in trouble.* In addition the Rep said that the cost to built the boat was climbing and they were very close to the cost of the 40 at the end so they pulled the plug.

This was related to me by a person that was in the know and was trying to be as honest as he could be.*
Hope this is of help to you.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:01 AM   #9
JD
Guru

Quote:
FF wrote:The Nordy's are mostly priced on DOCK STRUTTING ability.

As none of the small ones have the range for actual Ocean crossing , a Bayliner will do at 1/10 the cost what the Nordy will do but without STRUTTING rights.
Sorry FF you are wrong again.

*In 2001 a N40 hull number 21*left Dana Point CA and started a 27 week circumnavigation.* That they completed. *I think that means go all the way around the world.

Then in 2004 a fleet of Nordhavns (15) which included a 40 and 43 left Fort Lauderdale and went to*Gibraltar.* My guess is they crossed the Atlantic.

I have nothing against Bayliner or my Mainship but they won't do this.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:20 AM   #10
Guru

The N46 has done more circumnavigations than any other power boat built. The problem with the N35 is that it is not capable of doing something like that so you are looking at just a coastal cruiser. There are SO many options out there for a coastal cruiser, almost all of them at much less financial cost to achieve the same goal.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #11

I too did a lot of research into the N35. It was pretty funny that I barely received any public responses on the Nordhavn Yahoo forum when I asked about it, but received plenty of bad press emails offline from members. Apparently nobody who poo-pooed them actually owned one, they owned 40-47 boats. I spoke with one guy who really liked his and thought it handled better than the 40 because of the less sail area. It turned out to be too small for our extended cruising plans but I did like it - especially the ability to walk around the cabin - something missing on all of the more recent Nordhavns until you get to the 50+ range. There were some great deals on these a while ago. I'm pretty sure the one in Daytona Beach (which seems pretty well equipped) would go for a bargain (for a Nordhavn) price.

Dave
magicbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #12
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34

That N35 in Yachtworld located in Daytona Beach was originally owned by residents here in Chocowinity NC, and I note in the photos still show the same boat name (Beastie) and hailing port. The owners moved to FL and did have the boat on the market a number of years ago. I wonder if they're STILL trying to sell it, or if it changed hands without renaming or even a change of home port. Or maybe they're just 5 year old photos.

A. Ross
Chocowinity NC
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:45 PM   #13
Guru

Did a super fast search of the USCG documentation records- only one owner ever of record so I am guessing it never sold. Actual sold comps in recent past are still a good bit below the asking price of that particular N35 which is actually the lowest asking price in the USA.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #14
JD
Guru

Quote:
magicbus wrote:*I spoke with one guy who really liked his and thought it handled better than the 40 because of the less sail area. It turned out to be too small for our extended cruising plans but I did like it - especially the ability to walk around the cabin - something missing on all of the more recent Nordhavns until you get to the 50+ range.
Dave
This is true the boat did handle well after the fix but most of the ones for sale when I was looking at them*were the ones before the fix.* Also by the time of the fix the damage to the reputation of the 35*had been done.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:13 PM   #15
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea

I'm not sure what the deal on the 35 in Daytona Beach is, but I observed that boat for quite a while with one broker, and now the boat has been switched to the same broker that sold me my Manatee. *I can't say enough good about this guy, but what I can say is that since I've been following the boat, *the price has dropped significantly (for a Nordhavn). *I took a tour of that boat recently, and it would be tough to find one in better overall shape. *I don't know what Hull number it is, but I sure wouldn't want to end up with one of those early ones that JD described in his earlier post. *I love the look of the boat, but I keep thinking it needs a deck gun to make it all happen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nordwithgun.jpg
Views:	849
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	4588  
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:39 AM   #16
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

If it had been available in the SF Bay Area at the time I was shopping, I might have*bought it.

-- Edited by markpierce on Wednesday 2nd of February 2011 02:08:25 AM
markpierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:29 AM   #17
FF
Guru

A Hat 40 will cost $20K and do everything the Nordy will do , better.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:35 AM   #18
FF
Guru

"My guess is they crossed the Atlantic."

The toy 35 was the discussion not the big brothers

However even they only got across with the aid of tech help to solve various breakdowns.

Nice when the "fix it team" swims over in mid Atlantic .

The hundred or so 30-50 ft sail boats that migrate from Europe annually do it on their OWN.

Amazing., as most cost less than the sales tax on a Nordy!

-- Edited by FF on Wednesday 2nd of February 2011 05:36:17 AM
Old 02-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #19
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

I was thinking of adding this piece of artillery, sans wheels, but decided something smaller would fit better.

markpierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:54 AM   #20
JD
Guru

Quote:
FF wrote:

"My guess is they crossed the Atlantic."

The toy 35 was the discussion not the big brothers

However even they only got across with the aid of tech help to solve various breakdowns.

Nice when the "fix it team" swims over in mid Atlantic .

The hundred or so 30-50 ft sail boats that migrate from Europe annually do it on their OWN.

Amazing., as most cost less than the sales tax on a Nordy!

-- Edited by FF on Wednesday 2nd of February 2011 05:36:17 AM
You did not single out the 35 and I don't think anyone would ever think that the 35 would cross do to it's intended design.

The mechanical breakdowns were repaired as needed.* What would you have done, sunk the boat where it was?

How many $20k Hats would make it*across without repairs.* Some of the brand new Hats,*$3.5M*ones don't get out of the Neuse River with out repairs.

The point is not that they are bad but they are boats and they do break, no matter who make them or what they cost.

I have nothing to do with Nordhavn or any other brand.* I just don't see why you trash everything that isn't done on the cheap.* Some folks have some pride in what they own no matter what* it costs.