Norcold refrigerator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Apache II
Vessel Make
1974 Donald Jones
My little Norcold keeps tripping it's little breaker and shutting down.

A friend who works for an R/V dealer, told me to turn it upside down for a day then plug it back in again.

I pulled it out and inverted it.

Do you think this will work.

SD

Yes, that technique will work. Especially if you invert over 100 fathoms, drop and then buy a NovaKool.

I,m laughing my ass off.

Attachments

• ass.jpg
    ass.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 149
Tripping the breaker doesn't sound like a symptom requiring inverting. Advise how your test works.

IF this is a propane style fridge , at times lack of cooling CAN be cured by rotating the entire unit in the proper sequence.

Blowing a breaker is an electrical problem , loose or small wiring?

Ventilation IS critical on absorbtion fridges , clean the rear .

If this is a compressor style fridge , send your "mechanic" home, FOREVER!

skipperdude wrote:
My little Norcold keeps tripping it's little breaker and shutting down.

A friend who works for an R/V dealer, told me to turn it upside down for a day then plug it back in again.

I pulled it out and inverted it.

Do you think this will work.

SD
*You already pulled it out and inverted it so why are you asking?* You will be the first to know if it works.* Please let us know.

BTW:

"A friend who works for an R/V dealer, told me to turn it upside down for a day then plug it back in again.

I pulled it out and inverted it."

Did he tell you to put it back in it's original orientation before reconnecting it?*
biggrin.gif

-- Edited by rwidman on Friday 15th of April 2011 06:47:39 AM

-- Edited by rwidman on Friday 15th of April 2011 06:48:09 AM

Skipperdude- I think that you problem might be that you are trying to run your fridge when the outside temp is Colder then the fridge temp. Don't real Alaskans simply scoop up a chunk of Glacier Ice to keep the dinner and drinks cold? There is just nothing like the Snap, Crackle and Pop of Glacier Ice when you pour a little Scotch in to your glass.

Rob Hays

I won't know if it worked or not I took it to a Norcold repair shop.

It seems*that the inverting thing *may occasionally work on a propane fridge,

There is a little red button on the inverter. Or what ever you call it. With a light *that comes on when it trips. *So like FF said it may just be an electrical issue.

sd

I think the invert it idea is from the old days of the unit setting idle for long periods*and the gas in the solid state gets trapped on the wrong side of the expansion valve.* But I believe the refrigerant in those systems was Ammonia and not Freon.* Also these were the three way units, Gas, 12V and 120V.**

This is a lot like turning your fire extinguisher over every year to keep the contents from settling in the bottom.

Are the Norcolds ammonia or freon?

the thing is probubly about 20 years old.

*I have no idea.

SD

Are the Norcolds ammonia or freon?

Depends on which one someone bought.

The freon fridges (every brand) are power hogs and will flatten a batt set with ease.

The Ammonia use propane , so there is no DC load, just a 20# bottle to refill every month or so.

If it's *a 120volt/12volt is has a compressor and uses freon. *Don't turn it over and back and fire it back up without waiting for a few hours for the gas and liquid freon to migrate back to where it should be. *Failing to do this, will likely blow the compressor since it will be pumping against liquid instead of gas. *

A small Norcold pulls about 3 to 4 amps at 12 volts when running. * Mine runs about 1/2 the time, in 90 deg. heat exposed to the sun. *I never had a bit of trouble going 2 1/2 days running from 4 6v GC-2's. * which also run a 1800W inverter to make the microwave work to make coffee in the morning as well as a toaster, run the cabin and anchor light.

Other than being ridiculously expensive, I can't say anything bad about them.

If it is an AC/DC unit, that is the problem. Get it switched over to DC only and you will have reliability, economy, cold food, and never need to ask about your *&@$* Norcold again.
See my several earlier rants on this subject for full reasons.

"Get it switched over to DC only and you will have reliability, economy, cold food, and never need to ask about your *&@$* Norcold again."

Not usually , the Norcold works on some strange voltage 29 ?32? so a 12v supply is still subject to the electronic workings of the unique system.

Turning it upside down does not work.

*I now have a 31 c.i. anchor.

So what is the best deal on a small fridge?

Brand names?

SD

This is no joke.* If I lived in Alaska I would seriously consider setting up a nice icebox.

I have used ice boxes successfully in mild climates, the ice can last quite a while if done right.* A 50lb block could last a week.

Quiet and no electric needed.** JohnP

skipperdude wrote:
Turning it upside down does not work.

*I now have a 31 c.i. anchor.

So what is the best deal on a small fridge?

Brand names?

SD
*Isotherm or Nova Kool.

Fred:

My point exactly. Get away from the Norcold system, go to a Dan Foss ( or other reliable 12v only) and get away from problems altogether.

JohnP wrote:
This is no joke.* If I lived in Alaska I would seriously consider setting up a nice icebox.

I have used ice boxes successfully in mild climates, the ice can last quite a while if done right.* A 50lb block could last a week.

Quiet and no electric needed.** JohnP
Thanks.

*You know I have used ice for years in the past. I usually just collect it off a glacier.

It is just nice to have a plug and play.

In the winter it does more to keep things from freezing than refrigerating.

I want to do the gentelman boating gig.**Drive to the harbor get on the boat and go. Not have to worry if I have enough ice.

Big coolers are bulky and clutter up the deck.

Thanks but in this day and age I should be able to have a fridge on the boat.

SD

Attachments

• fishing 034.jpg
    fishing 034.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 124
skipperdude wrote:
I want to do the gentelman boating gig.**Drive to the harbor get on the boat and go. Not have to worry if I have enough ice.

Big coolers are bulky and clutter up the deck.

Thanks but in this day and age I should be able to have a fridge on the boat.

I would like to do that also.* I have a refrigerator and it works fine.* For some reason, my wife thinks we need 24 bottles of cold water and a dozen bottles of beer (even though we no longer drink) on the boat so we have to stop for ice anyway.

What do we run out of first on a trip?* Fuel?* Water?* Holding tank capacity? *Food?* Electrical power?*

No - Ice!

Now you have got me thinking.

What about an icemaker. That could be the way to go for me.

A good supply of ice to ice down fish and plenty for cold drinks.

anybody have an ice maker on board?

If so what make, model. ect.?

SD

Boy I would love to be able to scoop ice up with a net and have a big cooler filled with refreshments!

You are right it is nice when it is time to go home, all the condiments and stuff in the refrig keep things nice and easy.

JohnP

-- Edited by JohnP on Tuesday 19th of April 2011 01:44:23 PM

Talk about Ice lasting a while.**That stuff I was collecting will last forever.**It is a million years old and as hard as a rock and man does it tinkle with some good single malt poured over hit

Attachments

• fishing 039.jpg
    fishing 039.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 69
skipperdude wrote:
Talk about Ice lasting a while.**That stuff I was collecting will last forever.**It is a million years old and as hard as a rock and man does it tinkle with some good single malt poured over hit
Heresy! Single malt diluted with ice. Even worse would be with ice as well as water. Actually, I'll take it any old way. Looks delicious.

dwhatty wrote:*Heresy! Single malt diluted with ice. Even worse would be with ice as well as water. Actually, I'll take it any old way. Looks delicious.

*Yeah I hear you.**But man the stuff doesn't melt. At least it takes forever. It is compressed by hundreds of tons for thousands of years. Get's it as cold as hell with almost no dilution.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Tuesday 19th of April 2011 03:42:40 PM

skipperdude wrote:dwhatty wrote:*Heresy! Single malt diluted with ice. Even worse would be with ice as well as water. Actually, I'll take it any old way. Looks delicious.

*Yeah I hear you.**But man the stuff doesn't melt. At least it takes forever. It is compressed by hundreds of tons for thousands of years. Get's it as cold as hell with almost no dilution.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Tuesday 19th of April 2011 03:42:40 PM

I want some. Can you ship me a couple of hundred pounds for our cooler for the season?

Hmm! Business opportunity? Lasso an iceberg and tow it south? I've read about towing them to Saudi for water, but maybe to east and west coasts for yachties' coolers? Anchor it offshore and charge by the pound. Bring your own ice picks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom