Old 08-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #61
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by veprjack View Post
Crap - its gas...
The 32's are probably mostly gas...and diesels are gonna drive the price up a good $10 grand in many cases.

If you like that boat...and you are set on diesel/your price range...the Mainship 34s are a big market to farm.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #62
Veteran Member

City: Salem Ma
Vessel Model: Pearson 303 For Sale!
Looked at Mainships and they are fine - just don't care for them and really want to get away from a vberth into something approximating a real bed. The 32' Bayliner diesels -some are 1987 and younger for under $25K. I just have to be patient.

Check out Used 1989 Bayliner 3288 Motoryacht, Chesapeake City MD - 101830901 - BoatTrader.com. Maybe it's in terrible condition, but it's what I am looking for...
Old 08-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Very Helpful

TY - good feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Bayliners are probably the most numerous production brand in the PNW, not surprising since a lot of their models were built here. Owners take them everywhere--- BC islands, SE Alaska, etc.

All boat makes have their strong and weak points. But the reputation of boat brands is, I think, more about the owners than about the boats. Bayliners tend to be less expensive than many other brands which means they are affordable to a larger market. Which in turn means that some or many are purchased by more casual boaters than the sort of people who participate in forums like this.

I've met people with Bayliners who use them as dock queens and people with Bayliners who go to Desolation Sound, Alaska, Haida Gwai, and the west coast of Vancouver Island in them. I've also met Gand Banks owners in each of those same camps.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #64
Guru

Quote:
Looked at Mainships and they are fine - just don't care for them and really want to get away from a vberth into something approximating a real bed. The 32' Bayliner diesels -some are 1987 and younger for under $25K. I just have to be patient.

Check out Used 1989 Bayliner 3288 Motoryacht, Chesapeake City MD - 101830901 - BoatTrader.com. Maybe it's in terrible condition, but it's what I am looking for...
What gives those boats a lot of interior room is the engines are under the cockpit (I think)...if they are...not too many older boats I know in that price range that the engines aren't trashed if salt water boats...just a hazard of cockpit engines...plus now all the decent storage for a cruise is gone. Even though the base engines could be one big rust nut....they will be fine after you spend several thousand or more bolting the moving parts back on.

Take a long look at that berth...you may be begging for that v-berth back. Making it up and getting in and out can be a struggle. Manv vee's can also be modified into a double or island/slanted queen without too much modification.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Again, I appreciate your perspective and it's good for me to look at these boats wit a sharp eye and some emotional detachment. The engines are under the cockpit, as far as I know - so close inspection is warranted. The berth is somewhat negotiable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
What gives those boats a lot of interior room is the engines are under the cockpit (I think)...if they are...not too many older boats I know in that price range that the engines aren't trashed if salt water boats...just a hazard of cockpit engines...plus now all the decent storage for a cruise is gone. Even though the base engines could be one big rust nut....they will be fine after you spend several thousand or more bolting the moving parts back on.

Take a long look at that berth...you may be begging for that v-berth back. Making it up and getting in and out can be a struggle. Manv vee's can also be modified into a double or island/slanted queen without too much modification.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:49 PM   #66
Guru

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
veprjack,
I was the guy that first mentioned Bayliners. The one you listed in Delran NJ is in the next marina over from me. there is another one at Dredge Harbor, also in Delran. they are a large Bayliner dealer. you might want to look at dealers in your area. they take boats in trade and often don't list them on Yachworld.
If you come to NJ to look, there is a late 70's 33' Trojan express cruiser (no fly bridge) for sale in our marina. the owner is in a wheel chair and cannot use the boat. it has brand new Crusader (gas) engines, brand new transmissions, new wiring and plumbing, (and new fuel and water tanks i think) the only thing wrong with this boat is he tried to put a hard top on it and made a mess of the job. He wants $15K for the boat. (he has put over $60k into it) You could take the boat right next door to Cherubini Yachts (google them), take your other $15K and have them put a real hardtop on it. For your original $30K you would have a brand new boat. It would not be a trawler but you could run it at hull speed and have one hell of a boat.
John
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #67
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnma View Post
veprjack,
I was the guy that first mentioned Bayliners. The one you listed in Delran NJ is in the next marina over from me. there is another one at Dredge Harbor, also in Delran. they are a large Bayliner dealer. you might want to look at dealers in your area. they take boats in trade and often don't list them on Yachworld.
If you come to NJ to look, there is a late 70's 33' Trojan express cruiser (no fly bridge) for sale in our marina. the owner is in a wheel chair and cannot use the boat. it has brand new Crusader (gas) engines, brand new transmissions, new wiring and plumbing, (and new fuel and water tanks i think) the only thing wrong with this boat is he tried to put a hard top on it and made a mess of the job. He wants $15K for the boat. (he has put over $60k into it) You could take the boat right next door to Cherubini Yachts (google them), take your other $15K and have them put a real hardtop on it. For your original $30K you would have a brand new boat. It would not be a trawler but you could run it at hull speed and have one hell of a boat.
John
pretty good advice...
Old 08-28-2012, 05:45 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Wow!

That is a helluva deal. I was told to avoid gas because the engines don't like salt, the tanks rot out, and the Fuel costs are up to 20 times that of diesel. If I go to Cape Cod, it would cost me $40.00 each way in diesel, but anywhere from $100 to $300 for gas.

However, since the guy's engines are new, that eliminates prob one. If the tanks are new, same with problem 2. For a bargain, I could prob live with cost of short trips, but if I ever wanted to start seriously cruising...

Don't mean to sound ungrateful - I appreciate the help, and if I come to NJ (used to live in Morris Plains), I would look at that boat! Is the hard top butchered? Rest of boat ok cosmetically? Hey, for $15 K, don't mean to be picky

Thanks again - I will google that model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnma View Post
veprjack,
John
Old 08-28-2012, 06:45 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Googled the model and found this one 300 yards from my boat - For more information about this

Yeah, the engines are RED flags, but if they were ok and I could get the boat for $15 or even less.. The guy is MOTIVATED! How much would serious repair or replacement run? Hmmmmm
Old 08-28-2012, 07:33 AM   #70
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
I appreciate all the help from the kind and knowledgeable people on this forum, especially in light of the fact that I will probably not end up with a trawler.
What is a trawler anyway?
I'm just in the process of purchasing an ex-trawler. What does that make it now?

Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	12624

This is the girl I have been looking for. Have patience and you'll find yours.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:08 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Wow!

She's a beauty! Wow!

I just don't think my $30k budget is adequate for a decent boat that won't require repairs beyond my skills. I don't want a "dock condo", which is what I can afford now. The boats I've looked at need at least $15k in TLC in addition to asking prices exceeding $20k. I just don't think I can find something I would be happy with.

An Albin 27' aft cabin is in another solar system, but I am going to look at one this week; very little TLC and she's good to go with an engine that has 360 hours on it. Perhaps a bit of a Spartan lifestyle, but...
1985 Albin Cruiser Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

If the Albin doesn't work out, maybe I should wait for the snow to fly and find a DEAL? OK, I'll try more patience... Thanks for your help and patience with this frustrated and confused noob.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
What is a trawler anyway?
I'm just in the process of purchasing an ex-trawler. What does that make it now?

Attachment 12624

This is the girl I have been looking for. Have patience and you'll find yours.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:30 AM   #72
Guru

Had my marina allowed at the time...I would have bought this in a heartbeat (providing it wasn't trashed that the pics don't show.)

1985 Holiday Mansion Coastal Barracuda Aft Cabin Power Boat For Sale -

Florida...here I come! Maybe even the Bahamas when the time was right.
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Hmmmmm

I believe my marina allows them as a smaller version is here now. Frankly, I might just be interested. If I had a "Real" home like that, I prob wouldn't need to travel as much. I imagine a 100 mile weekend trip would cost around $300+ in fuel? Could be a project boat?

As you can see, I am flexible - some would say all over the place... TY for suggestions!

Quote:
Had my marina allowed at the time...I would have bought this in a heartbeat (providing it wasn't trashed that the pics don't show.)

1985 Holiday Mansion Coastal Barracuda Aft Cabin Power Boat For Sale -

Florida...here I come! Maybe even the Bahamas when the time was right.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #74
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I'm paying $50K for the ex trawler, and the average boat is double the US price here in Australia as there hasn't been much of a price drop. By that logic, you should be able to find the same there for $25K.
I was giving up hope as well before I came across her. With a wood hull, a lot of people are put off and they don't sell as quick. I've had a smaller wooden hull boat before so I knew what to watch out for. This one appears to be in great shape.
Maybe that is an option for you.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:09 AM   #75
Guru

Quote:
I believe my marina allows them as a smaller version is here now. Frankly, I might just be interested. If I had a "Real" home like that, I prob wouldn't need to travel as much. I imagine a 100 mile weekend trip would cost around $300+ in fuel? Could be a project boat?

As you can see, I am flexible - some would say all over the place... TY for suggestions!
The nice thing about that Barracuda is the twin inboard v-drives...allows a lot of flexibility.

You can run that boat on one engine at low speeds and it wouldn't kill you. My plan was to ultimately repower so with the inboard version...a couple of smaller diesels from highway generators or light towers can be picked up at auction for a song (my last boss used to get them all the time)...or can the inboards and hang a 100hp four stroke outboard (or a couple in the 50 range. Both can be done without much expense (less than $10,000) but wouldn't pay for themselves unless you were cruising back and forth to Florida every year and more. Plus...you would be wise to make sure the rest of the boat was gonna last long enough and satisfy you enough to warrant the change...unless you blow an engine and then the caculator should definitely come out.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:12 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Incredible!

I will try and be patient, but... If I could find a boat like yours for $25K, even wood - I would have to look at it!

Best of luck. Please post pics and comments as you progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
I'm paying $50K for the ex trawler, and the average boat is double the US price here in Australia as there hasn't been much of a price drop. By that logic, you should be able to find the same there for $25K.
I was giving up hope as well before I came across her. With a wood hull, a lot of people are put off and they don't sell as quick. I've had a smaller wooden hull boat before so I knew what to watch out for. This one appears to be in great shape.
Maybe that is an option for you.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Very interesting! Diesels would make this boat incredible...

Quote:
The nice thing about that Barracuda is the twin inboard v-drives...allows a lot of flexibility.

You can run that boat on one engine at low speeds and it wouldn't kill you. My plan was to ultimately repower so with the inboard version...a couple of smaller diesels from highway generators or light towers can be picked up at auction for a song (my last boss used to get them all the time)...or can the inboards and hang a 100hp four stroke outboard (or a couple in the 50 range. Both can be done without much expense (less than $10,000) but wouldn't pay for themselves unless you were cruising back and forth to Florida every year and more. Plus...you would be wise to make sure the rest of the boat was gonna last long enough and satisfy you enough to warrant the change...unless you blow an engine and then the caculator should definitely come out.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:29 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Check out this Cuda - Used 1986 Holiday Mansion Coastal Barracuda, Long Branch NJ - 101651656 - BoatTrader.com
Old 08-30-2012, 08:17 AM   #79
Veteran Member

City: Tupelo,Ms
Vessel Name: Jolly Time
Vessel Model: 36' Uniflite Sport Sedan
Check the classifieds for my Uniflite! Perfect liveaboard and priced right!! Jim
21' Mastercraft Prostar
Jolly Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #80
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
That is a helluva deal. I was told to avoid gas because the engines don't like salt, the tanks rot out, and the Fuel costs are up to 20 times that of diesel. .
You are talking to some very uninformed people. You only have to go as far as the corner gas station to determine that gasoline and diesel costs are pretty close.

As far as the engines not liking salt, both gasoline and diesel engines are made of iron so there's no difference. What you want to look for is a closed cooling system where the seawater doesn't cool the engine, it cools a coolant solution in a heat exchanger.

I don't know about tanks rotting out, but gasoline and diesel fuel are similar in their effect and metal, plastic, or fiberglass tanks. Water in the fuel or on the outside of the tank is what causes it to fail.

There have been some documented cases of ethanol laced gasoline damaging fiberglass fuel tanks. That is the only tank related difference to be concerned with.

For a live aboard boat, I would be more comfortable with diesel than gasoline because of the fire or explosion danger in the event of a leak. Of course, a well maintained fuel system that's inspected on a regular basis would minimize this risk.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote