Old 08-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #81
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by veprjack View Post
...... I imagine a 100 mile weekend trip would cost around $300+ in fuel?
By far, the biggest factor in fuel costs for a boat is speed. Want to go fast? It will cost you. You are moving a lot of water to get your boat where you want it to go.

Slow dow and watch your fuel costs take a dramatic drop. My 31 day cruise was 763 NM (878 SM) and consumed 239 gallons of fuel. That's 3.39 NMPG or 3.67 SMPG. Average speed was 7 knots.

Fuel costs vary depending on where and when, but I spent $1,006 on fuel for the trip.

For the most part, you see a lot more if you slow down.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #82
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
There is one thing that you may consider is an ex commercial fishing boat.

Many are well cared for. Seaworthy with living quarters.

That was my choice.

I am sort of handy at fixing/modifying things. If you are, it could be an alternative.

Just a thought.

Sd
Old 08-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #83
Scraping Paint

City: -
Fuel doesn't rot out tanks (with the exception of the ethenol/biofuel/fiberglass tank combination mentioned by Ron). Tanks fail primarily from rust on the outside which forms when moisture can get onto them and stay there. A very typical scenario is rain water and spry getting under failed or failing seals around deck fill fittings and then migrating down the fill hoses to puddle on top of the tanks. This is a problem encountered in boats like GBs, for example

Also, if the tanks are mounted on platforms and moisture can run down the tank and get between the tank and the platform, that can start the rust-out process.

THe ideal tank material seems to be what companies like Grand Banks and others are using now, which is composites. Totally inert material not affected by anything.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #84
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
I imagine a 100 mile weekend trip would cost around $300+ in fuel?
We are leaving this Saturday for a 10-12 day cruise in the Gulf Islands in BC. I did a rough calculation of how far we might to go we could make sure we had enough fuel on board for the trip. (You DON'T want to be buying fuel in Canada.)

Our boat burns about 6 gph at 1650 rpm (1 gph per 20 hp, engines develop 60 hp at about 1600 rpm, so 3 gph per engine and there's two of them). So my rough figuring showed we'll need about 170 gallons for the trip which will cover a maximum of about 200 miles. Diesel is selling in Bellingham for $4.07 a gallon as of last weekend. So our fuel cost for the trip will be $690 plus tax. Looks like a lot until you compare it the round-trip airfare for two people to France, which was our other vacation option this year.

A single engine boat going slower will burn significantly less fuel on the same trip, but then you'd be driving a single engine boat going even slower. Both of which suck as far as we're concerned, so we're happy to spend the $700 bucks.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #85
Veteran Member

City: Salem Ma
Vessel Model: Pearson 303 For Sale!
Lots of good info on tanks, fuel, and consumption! I can't go very fast now with a Yanmar 11HP anyway... lol. But if I go over to gas, that will certainly change!

TY all.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:33 PM   #86
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
One thing we were told about the bayliners is watch out for the hino motors--heard they were hard too find parts for and parts are expensive. Not sure the truth to that- maybe others have info on this. Hear lots about other motor manufactures on this forum but never about hino.

We have many friends w bay liners of all sizes and don't know any not happy w their boat. When they complain about what they spend on gas, keep in mind they're PROBABLY running two or three times trawler speed. . All about priorities.

Someone mentioned how hard it is to make up the bunk when only one side is accessible. I find v berths just as bad. One of our buds gets around this by using a sleeping bag. No thanks! Just one of those things we deal w in exchange for the joy of boating.
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #87
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Crap - its gas...
Looks like you found a good boat and an idea well worth pursuing. Now to find one with diesel engines and genset; it might cost a little more, or maybe not, if you are lucky.
I know views differ about gas v diesel,but it would be a dealbreaker for me. I`ve seen the results of a gas explosion on a timber cruiser, not pretty, a risk to avoid, however remote, however careful you are. In my humble opinion. BruceK
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:40 AM   #88
Veteran Member

TY all!

I am even looking at Holiday Barracuda Coastal Houseboats, which are gas, but... I NEVER thought I'd consider this type of boat, but after assessing my needs and uses, it might be an option-not for everyone certainly.

Used 1986 Holiday Mansion Coastal Barracuda, Long Branch NJ - 101651656 - BoatTrader.com
Old 08-31-2012, 05:56 AM   #89
FF
Guru

If I go to Cape Cod, it would cost me $40.00 each way in diesel, but anywhere from $100 to $300 for gas.

Nonsense!

While a great modern diesel operating at high load might produce 20 hp from a gal of fuel, the usual more rational number ,for many reasons, is closer to 16,

The usual car marinization will almost always give 10 -11 hp from a gallon of fuel.

A modern electronic controlled gaser can do 14.

Gas does not get as inefficient as diesel at less than heavy loading.

So $40 worth of diesel motion will run you $60 bucks in gas .

Figure in the cost of oil in quarts , not gallons, A set of 8 spark plugs at $2.00 each with injector rebuilds at $60 minimum each, and perhaps an injection pump ($1200) vs a gas fuel pump for perhaps $20.

Fuel is not the only cost , and pushing a displacement boat only takes a very few HP, frequently under 50 , the Gas vs Diesel usually comes down for gas.

Especially at yachty use 100-200 hours a year.

The times diesel shines is 1000-2000 hours a year ,

or a high speed boat that uses 40-60 gph of diesel and would need 60-90 of gas if operated frequently.

Replacement costs? Under $5000 for a good factory brand new long block, diesel rebuild , call around.

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:45 AM   #90
Veteran Member

Maybe I should have been more specific - I was referring to fuel consumption of MY very different options in boats;it's not a fair apples to apples comparison, just between two of my choices.

For example, a 27' Albin with a 78hp diesel Nissan going 7 knots vs a 33' Trojan with twin gas at around 400 hp cruising at 20 knots was a very rough example(in my head). Two very different boats, but even factoring in how much faster you'd get to Cape Cod, if I were paying for fuel, I'd gladly allow you to wave to me on the way by!

Your explanation of fuel consumption was valuable for me to use in comparing more realistic options. And I appreciated the comparison of replacement/rebuild, etc. costs - must be weighed to do a realistic operating cost comparison. I'm new at this and learning, so I appreciate the help!

If I end up with a houseboat, in a headwind I'll be in tears watching the fuel gauge. Lol...
Old 09-01-2012, 05:27 AM   #91
FF
Guru

And I appreciated the comparison of replacement/rebuild, etc. costs - must be weighed to do a realistic operating cost comparison. I'm new at this and learning, so I appreciate the help!

The most important concept is the "Round Trip" costs.

Purchase price , repairs, "upgrades" vs the selling price.

The value to you or the next owner is frequently only looked at as operating costs , but that is a mistake.

And remember "upgrades" with electronic toys is a value the week they are installed.

Next week there are new up graded toys , the next owner will be itching to purchase!

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote