Old 08-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: -
From what I have observed over the last bunch of years $30k will not get you much of a boat in the so-called "trawler" category. There are some good boats like the Tollycraft 26 that can be had in very good condition for that amount or less but they are not really in the "trawler" category. They are planing boats with gas power as built.

But in the "trawler" category I think you'll find that $30k will get you a boat that will need a lot of work to bring it up to anything near snuff.

If we were in the market today for a 34-36 foot diesel cruiser of the style many of us on this forum have, and our objective was to get a boat which, while it might need a fair amount of cosmetic work and systems upgrades, was a boat that was basically sound and that we could start using with confidence right away, I would not want to have a budget of less than about $70k, and preferably ten or twenty thousand more.

No question there are boats out of there of this type that can be had for less, sometimes a lot less. But I think you'll find that most of these are not in anything near as good a shape as they are presented to be, and for the most part would be what some of us would classify as "project" boats. And project boats, in the long run, can prove to be very, very expensive, with costs eventually totaling as much or more than you would have spent to get a boat in good condition to begin with.

Never say never, of course, but in my opinion your budget is not in line with your current objective. Partciularly when you roll in ownership costs on top of the purchase price. By which I mean moorage, insurance, fuel, servicing, repairs, upgrades--- basically all the annual costs associated with owning the boat other than financing if you finance it.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #22

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
With your budget, i would look at 32' Bayliners (flybridge model). Go onto Yachtworld.com, type in Bayliner; 32'; 1982-1987; and for price range type in $25,000-$30,000. I would consider them more of a convertible rather than a trawler; but they have really nice lines (they look like a boat) they were pretty well built; there are a lot of them around; they were built both diesel and gas. The interiors from the 80's were designed in "Miami Vice" (pink; blue and grey)
Good luck with your search,
John

johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:29 PM   #23
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I'd take a look at Chris Craft in this range as well. Just outside this range is a nice looking Gulfstar in the forum classified section.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #24
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by veprjack View Post
It's possible that a $30K budget isn't enough to purchase one in a condition I could "live" with and fix up?
It might be IF you have $15K+ to fix it up and can do most of the work yourself.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #25

City: Kent Island
Vessel Name: Sundowner
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 MrkII
Don't give up looking! Last winter we bought a very nicely maintained 1975 Gulfstar 36 for about what you’re looking at. We have been all over the bay this summer (500 miles and 27 days underway). Even been out when it was 105, the 8KW generator and 2 ancient A/Cs kept us cool. Now you have to realize this is not a 2012 boat that cost some sucker $400k. I have had to do some work and have more to do, but this has not kept us from having fun.
Gulfstar 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Salem Ma
Vessel Model: Pearson 303 For Sale!
The Bayliner is VERY interesting. I appreciate the tips! Any other boats I might want to include? Again, everyone's help IS appreciated. With my current budgetary constraints, I have to be creative and flexible...
Old 08-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Gulf36, I won't give up, but will broaden my search to include others like Bayliner. TY!
Old 08-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #28
Scraping Paint

Other possibilities are the smaller Tollycrafts like the 26 that I mentioned plus the 30 and 34. These tend to be gas but some have been converted to diesel, and there's nothing inherently bad about gas as long as the fuel system is in good condition.

Another make to check out is Uniflite. I'm not as familiar with their smaller models as I am with the Tollycrafts but I used to fish on a Uniflite in Hawaii and it seemed a very well made boat.

The suggestion of Bayliner is a good one. They've been around for a long time, they've made a ton of boats, and they are pretty numerous just about everywhere. Over the years they've incorporated some pretty clever ideas, like the "stateroom" that's paritially under the main cabin sole in some of their 30-something foot models.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #29
Veteran Member

View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com. 35 miles away-may go check it out...
Old 08-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #30
Scraping Paint

If you haven't already, you might want to read the "Lehman vs Volvo" thread on the forum. Volvo engines are very good engines indeed. But like their cars, parts have always been very expensive and these days they can be extremely hard to find depending on your location. Something to at least be aware of........
Old 08-23-2012, 02:43 AM   #31
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
While having no mortgage on my home and boat, the government (e.g. fellow citizens) collect rent/property taxes on them, so it looks my ownership is only nominal.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:29 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Having trouble finding Bayliners in the Northeast. May go check out that Chris Craft this weekend. Thx for advice on Volvos. Any other "brand" boats I should look at? So far the Bayliner looks to be a good choice, if I can't find a trawler...
Old 08-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #33
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Having trouble finding Bayliners in the Northeast. May go check out that Chris Craft this weekend. Thx for advice on Volvos. Any other "brand" boats I should look at? So far the Bayliner looks to be a good choice, if I can't find a trawler...
The most economical "trawler" you can find is an old sailboat. They are very efficient, single engine usually (lightly used to boot), and usually very cheap. Especially if you don't really want to sail much and the sails are trashed.

Search the internet and there are several trawler yacht conversions of sailboats. One that I remember was "Winnie the Poo".

I thought of doing it myself when I was having trouble finding trawlers in my price range. Good news...pretty seaworthy...bad news, not as much storage space.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #34
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
I do not recommend boats as a lot depends on your likes/dislikes and area. I assume since you own a sail boat that you know the weather in you area, Massachusetts? Most boats are not live aboard ready for the colder/wet/snow/windy climate. Boats have very little insulation, so the boat should have a good/reliable heating besides the AC dock power. Also moisture/condensation is a big problem. Then there is water, waste, refrigeration and creature comforts to consider. If you plan on being a live aboard make sure it live abord ready, and you have the funds. While looking at boats also look at marines and talk to the Live A Boards.

Might want to read some of the other discussions under live a board.

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #35
FF
Guru

Trawlers call to me! Roomy, sturdy, etc. Did you have other suggestions?

Sure , Most (but not all) trawler folks are interested in going slow , displacement speeds , and burning as few gal/hour as can be done.

There are many style boats that have room and are efficient at modest speed.

Take the square RT of the lwl (length on waterline) , and plan on that in K as your base speed.

In other words a 40 ft boat , say 36 on the lwl will run 6K (7 lubber mph) on very tiny fuel. 1.5 to 3 GPH.

So look at everything that is the right size , sport fisherman , 'MOTOR YACHT'
what ever , as the space in some will amaze you.

The key is that an over sized engine will frequently give problems from being underloaded (assuming diesel power).So look for boats 40 ft with well under 200hp advertised. Any 40 ft with 200-500 hp is off the list.

Gas engines do not have the under loading problems , so a 36 Uniflite with gas engines might just do the trick.

A friend sold a Hatteris 40 for about $20K , a fairly inexpensive way to travel.

The majority of NON TRAWLERS (made in USA) may have solid GRP, so the horror of leaky teak decks , over plywood does not usually exist.

Good hunting.

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:27 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Considering a 27' Albin as minimum. Will have to board one to see if I like it. The 30' version or the 28' Cape Dory would probably be good, but my budget is so tiny at $30K.....
Old 08-26-2012, 09:10 AM   #37
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Considering a 27' Albin as minimum. Will have to board one to see if I like it. The 30' version or the 28' Cape Dory would probably be good, but my budget is so tiny at $30K.....
If your budget is $30K, I have to ask if you've considered ownership costs?

Dockage? Insurance? Personal Property taxes (in some states)?

All the above does not even consider using the boat or maintenance or repairs, just owning it. This could easily be $5K or more each year.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #38
Veteran Member

TY - the budget is for the purchase costs only, which is why I am I am looking @ one this week listed at $24K - PLENTY of extra $ for taxes, etc. And we all know that a listing price is rarely what one pays.

The costs of ownership should not exceed those I already experience with my Pearson 303; my dock fees alone will go down by $180. I will obviously burn more fuel than I do now, but that is a cost I can control.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:44 AM   #39
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Welcome vprjack!
I share your excitement and frustration. I'm another noobie not willing to spend over a hundred thousand on a boat, whether it be a toy/lifestyle/hobby/investment. I think I finally found mine though, after a year of searching. Be patient, there are thousands of boats out there. Many of the older, lower priced boats are selling due to the owners having problems maintaining them. Beware. The taiwanese trawlers are beautiful, but many lower priced ones have had water leaking into the core via the teak decks or windows. Repairing them may equal the cost of your purchase price. There are very good ones out there, but they are in demand.
Buy a style of boat to suit your needs, whatever that may be. Rather than a boat that requires a refit, I would suggest looking for a boat owned by someone who has invested many hours into and is complete, but outdated (preferably butt ugly). Perhaps owned by a older couple, with the original decor from 1972, with mauve upholstery and curtains. Trawlers are fairly trendy right now so anything that is really eyecatching sells for a good price (considering the overall market).
Also shop outside the normal brokers and websites. Talk to as many people as possible. You will find it eventually and you'll know it when you do.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:09 AM   #40
FF
Guru

Few folks can do ALL the repairs a fixer will require.

A crap fuel tank requires the engine to be removed on some boats , to R&R the tanks.

Rotten plywood "teak" decks require different skill sets.

You will easily blow your budget if purchased labor is required.

Be realistic on how many months /years work you are willing to do to "save" money.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote