Non skid Epoxy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slowandsteady

Vessel Make
Mainship 34 III
Looked at a 1984 Marine Trader today. Seemed like a solid boat but it has/had teak decks that the current owner covered with a heavy non skid epoxy coating. Since the boat's been on the hard for 3 years in his yard, under the trees, they were dirty. It wasn't even a neat job, the person that applied it didn't even tape the edges where they terminated it going up the vertical surfaces. Has anybody seen this treatment used? I'm not sure I liked it. I almost wish he left the teak alone, there weren't any noticeable soft spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

I haven't seen non skid epoxy per se, but I have seen several teak decks painted over with truck bed liner material. A few look neat, most look sloppy as you have described. It is a somewhat common practise although personally I think it's ugly.

I have done epoxy nonskid decks. We used Awlgrip epoxy primer with their nonskid particles mixed in. Need to be away of spray gun clogging during application. Then we top costed with Awlgrip urethane. Works really well.

With your teak covered poorly, perhaps it's time to sand down to the original teak?

I stand corrected, Ultra Tuff Non Skid Rubberized Coating, not epoxy. It's still fugly.

Hello Slowandsteady

I am building a wood/epoxy 46' trawler and everything is either glued or impregnated with epoxy. I have aplready built 3 other wood/epoxy smaller boats in the last 20 years or so. Yet, I have never heard of such product.
However, you can easily do that by using hard spheres under epoxy resin. That will make non-skid epoxy resin (or even paint)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom