Non-Marking Rubber

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.B

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 4200 Classic
I am designing new chocks for our dinghy cradle and am having most of it built at a local metal fabrication shop. However, I will be building the pads that the dinghy hull will actually sit on. Planning on a square piece of wood with a rubber pad and don’t want the pad to mark up the hull. What kind of rubber should I use?

anything that oxidizes can mark...

usually plastics are less prone, like the yellow rollers on trailers (check with trailer manufacturers for what they use to recover bunks)....

or inexpensive indoor/outdoor carpet as a last resort, even over a soft material to keep oxidation down.

I have used a length of plastic hose, slit and popped over a 1" stainless tube. after 5 yrs or so the plastic degraded enough to look bad, so off it came. I now have just the 1" stainless tube. Not quite as soft a support for the kayaks, but it looks very nice.

Any plastic or rubber exposed to the sun for a few years will start to look bad eventually.

What about starboard? It won’t weather like wood. What is the hull of the dinghy made out of?

Had you thought of a pads of white PTFE plastic. I've used it under davits instead of wood, it can be drilled and shaped. After 5 years mine are still perfect.
If you want an el cheapo then cut a white fender and make pads for the dinghy.

Had you thought of a pads of white PTFE plastic. I've used it under davits instead of wood, it can be drilled and shaped. After 5 years mine are still perfect.
If you want an el cheapo then cut a white fender and make pads for the dinghy.

Interesting... Do you have a picture?

I may lean toward carpet. That seems like the cheap and easy solution. The hull is fiberglass and I ENVISIONED some hard black rubber, but I guess that won't work very well.

My dingy chocks are made out of starboard. The only negative, starboard is slippery. In my case that’s a plus.

Hi TomB.
Certainly.
I fabricated the blocks from PTFE, drilled out the holes. Then I placed a coating of silicone on both sides and allowed it to dry for 20 minutes so that if formed a 'rubbery' gasket.

As an aside, we used the same PTFE to fabricate a foot for the rudder. Its virtually the same as that shown in the photo with bolts securing it to the skeg with a larger hole in the centre of it to accept the rudder foot.
The first one we fabricated some 15 years and thousands of sea/canal miles later is still working perfectly.

Photo.

1, As you can see the hull is stepped at the back for strength so we fabricated a Stainless Steel adaptor plate. The PTFE replaced a wooden spacer which disintegrated over time and began to leak.

2,Self explanatory.

3,4, We left a gap at the rear to allow any water to drain away. A periodic clean of the drain is all that's required.

Attachments

• DSC00008.jpg
    DSC00008.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC00006.jpg
    DSC00006.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC00012.jpg
    DSC00012.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC00011.jpg
    DSC00011.jpg