Old 05-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #21
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Round hull shapes without lifting strakes or hard chines are quieter

One of the things I learned early on was to look for a quiet anchorage. One of the worst boats at anchor I've had was a 28' Bayliner with 22 deg bottom. It's lift strakes would catch small wavelets and the gurgle as the wave rolled down the strake drove me crazy. I tried hanging towels off the gunnel to break the wavelet but nothing worked. Round chine boats like the Kadi Krogan, Nordhavn, Saline, are going to be quieter because they don't have any flat surfaces for the wave to hit and make noise. Of course they don't have the primary stability your boat has so they roll around at anchor. Waves and wakes rock them around where your boat will remain stable. I'm a light sleeper and get up periodically all night to check my chart plotter which I use to track the ark of travel of my boat on anchor. This is the best sleep medicine I can think of, knowing your boat is holding fast. The bottom line look for the best anchorage you can find, check out the natural protection afforded and use it to select a comfortable spot. We all get tricked from time to time, I've been known to move to a quieter , safer spot if conditions change.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #22
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Bendit
Do you have any photos of solution being done?
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Last overnight anchoring adventure, wavelets were hitting the exterior sink outlet (about an inch or so above waterline) creating gurgling noises exiting from the galley sink. Too lazy that night, however, to shut the thruhull.

Previous time the plippers(?) were busy, and we ended up sleeping in the saloon.
That's one nice advantage of a tri-cabin, aft main stateroom boat. Not only is the movement much less back there but any noises from the bow pitching up and down are very muted.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #24
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Per View Post
Not to break rules but how many on this forum actually follow this directive to have someone on anchor watch 24/7?
Around here (if in a protected anchorage) people dont really have anyone on anchor watch...
btw 10-20 kts winds is not the weather i would anchor in overnight.
Directive? Anchor watch? I have electronics to do that. No way my wife or I are staying up all night. Might as well stay tied to the dock.

Do I get up occasionally and check the GPS? Sometimes, but at my age, I get up to pee anyway.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #25
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
That's one nice advantage of a tri-cabin, aft main stateroom boat. Not only is the movement much less back there but any noises from the bow pitching up and down are very muted.
Now you tell me! Maybe Ray will trade boats with me.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #26
Guru

Earplugs. Works great for me.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:54 PM   #27
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
10-20 knots with 1-2 chop? Sounds too much to me- I'd not anchor by choice in that. I hate it when anchored out and the weather kicks up unexpectedly. On those few times the weather kicks up I usually am the one "on watch" while the family sleeps. This way, I can arguably justify napping all the next day.
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:25 AM   #28
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsong View Post
10-20 knots with 1-2 chop? Sounds too much to me- I'd not anchor by choice in
Hmmm.... 10 to 20 gets you 1 to 3 foot waves out here and it's not uncommon to anchor in that on a routine basis. 20 to 30's not much fun, though.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:04 AM   #29
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
That's why guests get the "V" berth...

Waves slapping??? Sleep right through those babies...it's the new guy on watch during an all night run that keeps me restless.

Tied to my dock, sometimes the 2-3 knot current sets up a trickling sound as it runs under the stern and arund the prop/rudder...I'd gladly take the slapping because the water trickling sound when you are trying to fall aleep is REALLY unerving...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #30
Scraping Paint

I am coating the inside of the bow with Mascoat noise reducing paint, not sure if it will work but its worth trying.
Singleprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #31
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
Gonzo said:

This is exactly what happened. Forecast was hit & miss possible storms. Radar had one line coming through, would have taken MAYBE an hour. 30 minutes into it the whole eastern half of the state LIT up with wall to wall storms. That's when we knew we needed to take turns on watch. We were in an exposed anchorage totally unprotected. The forecasted turn of the winds was supposed to be slight and around 6am the next morning. But the weather turned. It "should" have been fine. We did our homework, we had the anchor set in 8 feet of water with 70 feet of chain out. I dropped an extra 30 up to 100 before it started.

Tom, where in the Dreaded Neuse were you?? I'd have thought you could run up a creek someplace for the night.
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #32

City: Watch Hill RI
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Soften Chines

Ah yes, one of my favorite subjects... chine slap. With 43+ years of hanging on a mooring and anchoring out most of the time, 7 years ago we “crossed over” from sail to power with a Nordic Tug 32. The NT’s have semi-displacement hulls, with a hard reverse chine from bow to stern. I’m a light sleeper, and after the first night anchored out, the chine slap bothered me so much that I had to do something. We never had this problem with our various, rounded hull sailboats. And ear plugs and more scotch was not the solution. I built a “wave slap preventer”, essentially wrapping a 4’ swimming noodle in sail material and hanging it off the bow under the chines. Effective, but a pain in the butt to deploy, embarrassing to answer questions about the bra on the bow, but also a safety issue. I also lined the inside of the hull (access from under the berth) with 4” of sound deadening foam panels. All that the foam did was soften the slap.

Like “Bendit”, I took a more dramatic route, which is to fill in the chines. I determined that an area of about 48” inches along the chine needed to be filled. I removed the gel coat, epoxy bonded in Core-Cell foam panels, and covered the area with carbon cloth, epoxy, then gel coat. The results is nearly 100% effective in reducing the chine slap. With enough wind and current, there are times where there still enough slap for me to sleep in the salon (my wife can sleep through a hurricane). In terms of an impact on performance, there is none, at least for this hull. I took pictures before and after the mods at 6, 10, and 12 knots. Wave deflection at the chine area is about the same, before and after the mods. Above 12 knots, that section is out of the water. Bottom line, for me, a lot of work, but worth the effort.

John Baczek
Puffin, NT32-266
Watch Hill, RI
Attached Thumbnails
port.jpg   bow.jpg  
Puffin_NT32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #33
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoss View Post
Gonzo said:

This is exactly what happened. Forecast was hit & miss possible storms. Radar had one line coming through, would have taken MAYBE an hour. 30 minutes into it the whole eastern half of the state LIT up with wall to wall storms. That's when we knew we needed to take turns on watch. We were in an exposed anchorage totally unprotected. The forecasted turn of the winds was supposed to be slight and around 6am the next morning. But the weather turned. It "should" have been fine. We did our homework, we had the anchor set in 8 feet of water with 70 feet of chain out. I dropped an extra 30 up to 100 before it started.

Tom, where in the Dreaded Neuse were you?? I'd have thought you could run up a creek someplace for the night.
Hi Al! That was me(Bess) ! We were just east of the Cherry Branch Ferry terminal. There's a lttle nook there that is great in a southerly wind which it was all day. The winds were forecast to turn from the NE on Sunday morning and we thought we'd be out of there by then. Had the storm only been an hour long we would have moved...but it seemed at the time since we were hunkered down with 5 other boats who'd been out in weather before, that staying was the better option. We don't have radar, barely a good chart plotter and no autopilot...so our navigation is usually by the paperchart and binocular variety.

We had a chance to change our minds and hindsight being 20-20 next time faced with the same choice we will move up to Upper Broad creek.

This was one overnight. And we all know the Neuse can get choppy quick.

But the long term question is, how are the winds and waters in the Bahamas? How often would this scenario take place there? Do we want to take Skinny Dippin' there on a 6month or more cruise? How often does one bounce around at anchor in the bahamas?? And would a full displacement hull be better worse or the same? Do full displacement hulls really roll that much more than semi displacement?? Do we need to start shopping for a better performing Bahamas boat?
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #34
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besslb View Post
Hi Al! That was me(Bess) ! We were just east of the Cherry Branch Ferry terminal. There's a lttle nook there that is great in a southerly wind which it was all day. The winds were forecast to turn from the NE on Sunday morning and we thought we'd be out of there by then. Had the storm only been an hour long we would have moved...but it seemed at the time since we were hunkered down with 5 other boats who'd been out in weather before, that staying was the better option. We don't have radar, barely a good chart plotter and no autopilot...so our navigation is usually by the paperchart and binocular variety.

We had a chance to change our minds and hindsight being 20-20 next time faced with the same choice we will move up to Upper Broad creek.

This was one overnight. And we all know the Neuse can get choppy quick.

But the long term question is, how are the winds and waters in the Bahamas? How often would this scenario take place there? Do we want to take Skinny Dippin' there on a 6month or more cruise? How often does one bounce around at anchor in the bahamas?? And would a full displacement hull be better worse or the same? Do full displacement hulls really roll that much more than semi displacement?? Do we need to start shopping for a better performing Bahamas boat?
If your boat was hobbyhorsing in a little chop (many of our boats do)...maybe you need a little more weight in both ends. I plan on having 200 ft of 5/16 chain and at leat 100 pounds of 2 anchors forward and I have over 1500 pounds of water in tanks right near the transom.

Take a good look at your design and see if more weight in the ends might be necessary to lessen the motion.

Wherever you are...an exposed anchorage will do what that one did to yu....Bahamas or elsewhere....fix the boat the best you can....look for/plan for better anchorages...get the best CURRENT weather capability aboard your boat...get used to some motion and noise (you can because I used to be able to fall asleep quite easily in the old, old USCG helicopters...)
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #35
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
One thing that has been left off the table about the "Why didn't you just move?" We had been drinking most of the day. Drunk? No, but at the moment the decision had to be made to stay or run, our toxicity was one of the major factors we considered.

Puffin (what is your real name anyway?), can we see more pictures of what you did? Love to see before and after. I can't really make out what you did in your posted pics and we would seriously consider doing it too should we decide to keep SD. You could email them to me at skinnydippincary-at-aol-dot-com if you are inclined to send larger pictures.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #36
Guru

A friend of mine is also filling in his chines on his old 34 Mainship.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #37
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
We get chine slap under the V-berth...but since we sleep in the aft cabin...we don't notice it unless we go to the forward head or the galley....
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote