No Trash Disposal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
I once heard an interesting comment... If there were widowed walls around every country the US would have inward facing mirrors.

No, what you can take from that is most people have more vacation time than Americans.

I think there is more to it than that. Canada has similar vacation time to the US and yet they seem to travel more.

The difference is not only how much they travel, it's also how and where they travel.

As Mark Pierce suggested: "Most of the foreign travelers I've met overseas are American." I don't doubt that at all.
Americans tend to do guided tours that are catered in a way so they are just like back home. They like to be grouped together and eat at McDonalds.

Many (most?) non-Americans travel overseas to see the differences in sights, sounds, tastes, smells. They avoid other tourists and prefer to be immersed in the local culture.

Of course I'm generalising, and there are exceptions on both sides, (such as most Aussies in Kuta) but this certainly appears to be the norm in the traveling that I've done.

Canada has similar vacation time to the US and yet they seem to travel more.

Canada is near the bottom but still well ahead of the US. The US is on the bottom. Japan is 2nd from the bottom. The US is the only "Economically Advanced Country" (Don't know what that means but it's the countries chosen to compare) that does not have any law requiring vacations or holidays. 1/4 of all Americans receive no paid vacation. 1/4 of all Americans receive no paid holidays.

WOW, we turned a thread from trash disposal into who travels where......
Don`t overlook the direct statistical relationship between daily water consumption and anchor type and brand.

Greetings,
Mr. mr. "WOW, we turned a thread from trash disposal into who travels where......" HAH! That's nothing. It'll eventually end up on anchors...You're still a newbe here.

giphy.gif

Rats. Missed it by 8 minutes...

The thread has been useful. We found Howard's shoes at long last. He can get them back too, the guy's not watching...

Attachments

• IMG_2566.JPG
    IMG_2566.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 149
Greetings,
Mr. I. How the hell did Mr. hm's shoes end up in Aus? Do you even wear shoes down there?

Nope.

Shoes, socks, long pants are all very over-rated. Don't wear any of 'em these days unless I'm being paid big bucks.

The US has a so many different climates and topographies, that you don't need to leave to experience a different area than where ever you call home. Whatever the average distance is for an annual "big vacation", most Europeans probably can't travel that far without crossing a few borders. I would guess people tend to explore their own areas first and then expand as they get older. While a Lichtensteiner might see his entire country before he reaches puberty, that takes a while here.

America is a very inward looking place. We Amercans fo'nt even think about other countries except when we watch the news. And the news is mostly warm and fuzzy entertainment. There's local news programs and national news and then world news .. probably watched by few.
We just do'nt care much about what's beyond our borders. Partly because we are very well isolated by great oceans on both sides and because we think we're the best in all regards. Why go anywhere else? Another reason is that we are a very very automotive culture. When we go places we get in our cars and go. All of this is on a comparative basis. And our culture revolves around material things. Relative to travel material things are like a cannon ball and chain. Got to take care of all the things and all the things cost money and that limits the money free to spend on travel.

There's lots of good reasons we Americans do'nt travel much.

On last year's cruise to the Great Barrier Reef there was one anchorage where I saw a couple of modest sized sailboats take their garbage ashore at low tide and burn it on the beach. There was no metal or glass in the garbage, and at the end just a little pile of ashes. It doesn't bother me they did it. I suspect that's the way sailors have been doing it for a long time, but not sure if its still legal. The issue for a lot of those boats is very limited space, and few visits to towns/marinas.

I recycle wine bottles and beer cans, and cardboard packaging. Annoyingly I have been to marina's that would not take crushed beer cans, only un-crushed ones. Not sure why, but as they weren't taking much space it was easy to keep them on board a bit longer until we got to some place where we could dispose of them.

The bottled water situation is just nuts. Most of the boats that people here own have water tanks. Get the tank in good enough condition to be able to drink the water out of it ! I do have filters on the icemaker supply and drinking water faucet, but I don't really think its necessary. Fill a reusable container for excursions. Its not hard!

Sometime soon there will be a realisation about the energy and resources cost of over-packaging and waste disposal, recycled or not. I'm amazed the 'carbon-police/fanatics' have not already woken up to it. It really is the low-hanging fruit for improving the world we share.
Here, here!

Slight Hijack (good grief, not another one)

Back in the 80's I found myself living on a US army base in Fulda, Germany.It was a fascinating experience. What amazed me was the fact that virtually everyone on the base bought all their food & drinks from the camp PX. The PX sold rows & rows of processed caned goods, white bread, boxed cardboard sugary cereals etc.

In the town there was an amazing array of local foods & beverages available that seemed to be completely ignored by the US personnel, there really appeared to be no interest in experiencing anything outside the PX.

Maybe when some Americans travel they are more comfortable taking a bit of America with them. Still, an Ozzie wouldn't be caught without a jar of Vegemite in their backpack.........now there's a national statement, just ask our late lamented TF member Marin. :eek:

Last edited:
Canada is near the bottom but still well ahead of the US. The US is on the bottom. Japan is 2nd from the bottom. The US is the only "Economically Advanced Country" (Don't know what that means but it's the countries chosen to compare) that does not have any law requiring vacations or holidays. 1/4 of all Americans receive no paid vacation. 1/4 of all Americans receive no paid holidays.

Why would thee be a law requiring vacations? Do we need the government more involved with our everyday lives?

Paid holidays and vacations mean the employer has to pay the employees less for their productive hours to make up for paying them to do nothing.

I think there is more to it than that. Canada has similar vacation time to the US and yet they seem to travel more.

The difference is not only how much they travel, it's also how and where they travel.

As Mark Pierce suggested: "Most of the foreign travelers I've met overseas are American." I don't doubt that at all.
Americans tend to do guided tours that are catered in a way so they are just like back home. They like to be grouped together and eat at McDonalds.

Many (most?) non-Americans travel overseas to see the differences in sights, sounds, tastes, smells. They avoid other tourists and prefer to be immersed in the local culture.

Of course I'm generalising, and there are exceptions on both sides, (such as most Aussies in Kuta) but this certainly appears to be the norm in the traveling that I've done.

You sir, haven't a clue about Americans and what we prefer. That is a gross generalization incorrect in many facets and wreaks of uninformed babble that perhaps you would like to believe but is not based in fact. For that matter, your generalization about your citizens abroad could be just as inaccurate.

Why would thee be a law requiring vacations? Do we need the government more involved with our everyday lives?

Paid holidays and vacations mean the employer has to pay the employees less for their productive hours to make up for paying them to do nothing.

I'm not arguing what there should be, just the fact we're the only developed country without one. We have less vacation. Simple. We work more hours per year.

I don't own a marina, but the original problem seems so easy to fix. Pay for use. Gas, ice, water, dockage, electricity, trash. It all is priced. Bathrooms are iffy, but that has been done too. Why is the marina not turning off power/water to the unused slips?

You sir, haven't a clue about Americans and what we prefer. That is a gross generalization incorrect in many facets and wreaks of uninformed babble that perhaps you would like to believe but is not based in fact. For that matter, your generalization about your citizens abroad could be just as inaccurate.

Thank God some of us can still laugh at ourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins
I'm afraid to ask what that means.

He was voted off the island.

Ted

Marin was a former member who had a great way with words (usually quite a lot of them) and his description of Vegemite introduced me to some words that I didn't know even existed in the English language, suffice to say he was not a fan of Vegemite. :lol:

In memory of Marin:
https://youtu.be/0yA98MujNeM

To help put this funny thread back on the subject I will dare adding my 2 cents about beer bottle recycling here in Quebec. Beer bottle are consigned for 10c a bottle. Most of people are bringing the back to the store. About the fuel needed to take the bottle back to the beer company in fact it is not a real issue. When the truck delivers the beer to the store, it get back the same number of empty bottle. So let say 20 box of 12 bottle are delivered, than 20 box of 12 empty bottles are taken back. In any case the truck is going back to the beer factory so instead of going back empty it is going back with empty bottles. Plastic bottle are also consigned as well as aluminium cans. Only things not consigned are wine bottle for some stupid reason but they are consigned in Ontario.
Most of reason of not recycling is what to do with recycled material, a lot of material does not have any second life market, and also the cost of the sorting facility which could be greatly reduced by sorting upfront if people are incined to do a bit of effort not to put metal in glass etc.

Gee, do I ever know how to start a long conversation.

The CN will jump thru hoops no American would .

They charge 25c to use a shopping cart in some super markets , which gets refunded when the cart is returned.

Amazing!

Yep. I call them as I see them.

I realize that there are jerks and honest people in both camps but basically the sailing crowd seems to figure that since the wind is free, everything else should be as well.

And anyone who dumps their trash overboard or in the woods because they are stupid and don't plan their cruise/weekend/day trip to get him to a marina that will take it is far more than a simple jerk.

Back
Top Bottom