No Trash Disposal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Canadians (and Australians) know quite a bit about the rest of the world......unlike some. :hide:

They also travel more than Americans. They have the time for vacations/holidays. We know a good bit about Canada, Australia, and the UK. Then what I know of other countries is only because of business. Other countries are Page 6 news here or they're major news but only one day duration. The problem is that if you don't know about the rest of the world, then you're not likely to recognize that maybe some other places do some things better than you.

Aussies travel a lot. Employees get 4 weeks a year +, for vacations. And Long Service Leave on top. They used to/may still get a 17.5% holiday/vacation pay loading, to "compensate" for loss of overtime while not actually working.(That`s a doozy!)
I like travelling. And I wasn`t anyone`s employee.
I also don`t mind tap water. I think ours is safe and don`t hesitate to refill 10L containers that came filled with water with, yes, more water, from tap.
I will not drink unpurified water in say, Philippines, and the locals don`t expect us to, they know we`d get sick. Would they get sick if they drank ours, dunno, I wonder...
We do our best to separate trash on the boat, and we certainly do at home, we have multiple specific bins for the purpose.
We have cleaned Athol Bight beach on Sydney Harbor multiple times, the broken glass fragments there are unbelievable. And when the boat was on a swing mooring locally and I had a dinghy on the shore, I kept the area where the dinghy was clear of trash washed up, and there was plenty sometimes.
There are just too many of us on this planet for it to cope, every little bit of care helps. There is nothing to be gained by threatening to dump rubbish improperly if some fuel seller doesn`t want to dispose of your trash. It`s your trash, you deal with it.
Some states have forced sellers of canned/bottled etc drinks to add a recoverable deposit to the price of their product. I can`t see everyone bothering to turn in the empties to recover the deposit, but it`s very likely some, or their kids, will. And others will scour likely places to pick up and return the containers to make a little $. = less litter.

Last edited:
Finland and Sweden, in my opinion, trash things taken care of nicely. for a small voluntary pay-for-profit association take care of the waste from the archipelago of waste points, which also have the option to empty the black water tank. no one is jealous of you are paid or not, a sufficient number of boaters to understand this and to finance the association and this works here. this is all taken care of only $ 30 a year, a paltry amount of the annual budget of the boat.

to understand how short-sighted business someone can you do, that the customer should get the money been pulled, you would think seeing each of the annual budget of the company, and not think about individual customers in such business.

8 glasses of water a day is fake news. The real amount is 1/2 to 1 ounce for each pound of body weight. If you drink other liquids the amount of water is reduced. Wifey B might be inadvertently drowning herself.

That's crazy. Realize it largely depends on exertion and climate, but drinking 12 to 24 cups of water seems much to much just driving one's boat. (Or does operating from a flybridge super-sucks moisture from one as opposed to operating from a pilothouse? Or are we justifying our beer consumption?)

Last edited:
Im amazed by how few Americans have passports :popcorn:

With more than 15 times the population of Australia, that's hard to believe. What's your source? Most of the foreign travelers I've met overseas are American. ... The French are rarely seen outside their country and former possessions.

With more than 15 times the population of Australia, that's hard to believe. What's your source? Most of the foreign travelers I've met overseas are American. ... The French are rarely seen outside their country and former possessions.

Yes, that is an interesting question. Looking up the various sites it is hard to gauge accurately who indeed travels the most. The problem is a lot of these statistics include overnight travel within your own country, where as other research bases it on a per capita spend, while yet others include popping across the boarder for a day shopping trip in Europe in their figures. So what do we really mean by traveling anyway? Maybe It's the 'I'm a traveler not a tourist mentality'.

It's all a bit difficult,.

So, in the spirit of the new Trump world order lets all just believe what we want, a type of cultural cognitive dissonance. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Andy G. Most of what you posted is true or at least partially so. However, one point is missed. There are two ways of reducing plastic bottles. One is not to use them. The other is to be very diligent and make sure all are recycled. I think there should be consideration of refundable deposits but I know that's a huge hassle. We are diligent. We do know what happens to our plastic bottles. They do get recycled. We are not part of the 70% that don't get recycled. Looking at plastic water bottles specifically. The amount of plastic has been reduced 60% and they are 100% recyclable. The problem is that they are not fully biodegradable although Dasani is working on a plant bottle.

We admire those of you who are concerned. We are as well. We approach it our way which may be different than yours.

There are many things today that people assume cannot be recycled. Styrofoam is one. I know we're not allowed to put it in the recycling bin. So, it can be recycled but isn't in most places.

Mixed items are a huge issue too as are other items. There's a long way to go. The keys do remain making it easy and giving it a financial incentive either by rewarding or by penalizing.

deposit plastic bottle recycling to rise to almost 100%, we have been in use for a long time. a deposit of 1 to 2 liter plastic bottle of $ 0.40 and a 0.5-liter plastic bottle $ 0.20, $ 0.15 aluminum cans. This ensures that if in fact you do not take bottles / cans, so someone always needs money and is looking for those natural or waste containers.

Most people return them yourself, all of which sell drinks in bottles are obligated to buy back the empty bottles, that's why it works here, including waste oil, batteries, etc. Who sell will have to take the waste received and recycle.

Last edited:
Trash disposal > cheap sailors > how much water B&B drinks > passports > need more water if you have a fly bridge> ??

......Reusing 1 glass bottle will prevent the purchase and consumption of more than 240 plastic bottles every year
 One plastic bottle will take more than 450 years to completely break down (that’s 25 generations!)
 This year, more than 250 billion pounds of plastic will be created with very little of that production ever being recycled – that’s about 37 pounds of new plastic created for every single person on the planet
 The number of disposable plastic water bottles consumed in the US in 2010 could fill 849,941 school buses (double the number of school buses on the road today)
 The U.S is the largest consumer of plastic bottled water in the world
 Annually, Americans consume more 8.6 billion gallons of bottled water each year
 The average U.S. citizen consumes more than 21 gallons of water every year
 The price of bottled water is up to 10,000 times the cost of tap water
 Only 10% of the cost of bottled water goes to the actual water, the other 90% goes to the packaging, transportation and marketing
 More than 75% of plastic water bottles are never recycled, they’re simply thrown away
 PET (plastic) water bottles generate more than 121 million tons of waste each year
 Manufacturing & filling the plastic water bottles, on average wastes 30-40% of the water involved in the process
 It takes 47 million gallons of oil to create plastic water bottles each year
 Every year in the U.S. in excess of 38 billion plastic bottles end up in landfills
 15 billion pounds of plastic are produced in the U.S. every year & only 1 billion pounds are recycled
 Every year at least 1 million seabirds and 100,000 marine mammals & sea turtles die when they entangle themselves in plastic pollution or ingest plastics
 In the U.S. 1,500 plastic water bottles are consumed every second. 70% of those will never be recycled.
 90% of the trash in the ocean is from plastic
 At least 40% of bottled water is tap water."

Sources: Algalita, American Beverage Council, Environmental Working Group, National Resources Defense Council, Plastic Pollution Coalition, Project Aware, U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Not that I'm against the point you are trying to make but these statements and ones like it are pure BS. Made up BS. Nobody can prove any of it. The same sort of stuff shows up on Facebook trying to prove a point.

I grew up in the days before plastic water bottles. If we wanted a drink of water we got it out of the sink or a drinking fountain. Soda came in glass bottles and we took them back for the 2 cent deposit. They (and milk bottles) were washed and reused several times. It worked fine then and it would work fine today but you can't buy water or sodas in reusable containers.

Some nanny states have added a five or ten cent tax to plastic bottles. This does nothing but raise the cost of living.

It is difficult for citizens to do anything about plastic waste because the waste comes with the products we buy. As often as not, when you buy a tool, it comes encased in a plastic package that requires another tool to free it from the packaging.

The government's attempts at reducing waste are pathetic and don't work.

Greetings,
Mr. hm.

200.gif

................ There are many things today that people assume cannot be recycled. Styrofoam is one. I know we're not allowed to put it in the recycling bin. So, it can be recycled but isn't in most places. ..

Anything can be recycled, even human waste. The problem is, it's not profitable to do so. By the time people are paid, equipment is purchased and fuel is used to pick it up and recycle it, it costs more than the new product.

The key is for people to use less unnecessary stuff in the first place. This requires product manufacturers to use less waste in packaging.

Soda came in glass bottles and we took them back for the 2 cent deposit. They (and milk bottles) were washed and reused several times. It worked fine then and it would work fine today but you can't buy water or sodas in reusable containers.

I wonder cost comparisons between reusable bottles (acquisition, transport, processing, refilling, etc.) and the same product in recyclable aluminum cans and/or the same stuff in recyclable plastic bottles.

-Chris

Passports

Im amazed by how few Americans have passports :popcorn:

That's because illegal aliens don't have one from any country. Then again, they are not Americans.

If you read the labels of most drink containers, it tells you that there are states that will pay a refund for the plastic, glass, and aluminum containers.

I wonder if the USA took the aproach of standardized unbreakable glass containers for human consumption beverages that were cleaned instead of recycled, how that might effect the picture. If all beer came in the same bottle with only the cap and paper label being different, would that make glass bottle reuse realistic.

Ted

Greetings,
As has been mentioned several times, recycling is an expense. Whereas in the past recycling consisted of a 2 way network where a glass beverage container, for example, was manufactured, filled, distributed, collected, returned to the manufacturer and refilled to be recirculated again. Repeated for the life of the container, it placed the onus on the manufacturer to deal with the container (could be considered as "waste" since it's useful purpose had been served) thus adding to the manufacturer's expenses with the only costs to the consumer being the contents. Quite labor intensive.
So, with the advent of one direction, one use containers it shifted the responsibility for the container onto the consumer thus increasing profits for the manufacturer in several ways. Reduced single container costs, smaller workforce, smaller storage/handling facilities and no responsibility for disposal of "waste".
Progress huh?

.............. If all beer came in the same bottle with only the cap and paper label being different, would that make glass bottle reuse realistic.

Many, many years ago I worked in a bar. Beer was served in returnable bottles. There was Miller (in clear bottles) and all the others in standard brown bottles. We put the empty Miller bottles in Miller cases and all the others in random cases. Exactly what you posted except for the Miller bottles.

The empties went back, were cleaned and refilled. The brown ones might be Budweiser on time and Schlitz the next go around.

"If all beer came in the same bottle with only the cap and paper label being different, would that make glass bottle reuse realistic."

I would support same bottle rum.

The energy and labor needed to transport the glass bottles back to the brewery is probably more costly than one-way glass bottles. Shame, but I think that is what the math would show.

One of the ways that The Admiral and I are going to try to cut down on trash is to install a keg in a mini-refer with a tap. That way we will only have to do is exchange the empty keg for a full one. When we go on an extended cruise, we have planed a space fo an extra keg. Thus there will be less trash on our boat.
We have also been following "The Boat Galley" there is a lot of information there about keeping trash off your boat.

The energy and labor needed to transport the glass bottles back to the brewery is probably more costly than one-way glass bottles. Shame, but I think that is what the math would show.

But, it would cut down on the material to make the bottles and either the cost of recycling or the landfill space.

Break them up and throw them overboard. Fifty years from now, people will find them on the beach, call them "sea glass" and make jewelry out of them! :angel:

Well, here are some facts. 36% of Americans have passports. 60% of Canadians. 75% of Aussies and Brits.

Well, here are some facts. 36% of Americans have passports. 60% of Canadians. 75% of Aussies and Brits.

So here's what we can take from that: Most Americans are happy where they are, the rest are not! ;)

So here's what we can take from that: Most Americans are happy where they are, the rest are not! ;)

Easy to do a boatload of traveling within the U.S. -- with no passport needed.

IOW, "traveling" doesn't have to include crossing international borders...

-Chris

Attachments

• IMG_2566.JPG
    IMG_2566.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 39

...and having that take on it sums up the differences in culture perfectly!

I travel abroad less as I get older. Prefer to go places where I can get by mostly with English and some phrases of the local language. That's proving harder to do in the USA these days. :rolleyes:

Ted

Last edited:

No, what you can take from that is most people have more vacation time than Americans.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom