No Trash Disposal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We drink out of 16 oz bottles. Always have one nearby. For those who think it's cost extravagant, I drink bottled water, my average cost per day of all beverages I consume in a day is no more than $0.36 and it's $0.45 on the high days.

I'm not sure whether I find the smallness of the amount or the waste of time to track and calculate it, more amazing. :rolleyes:

Ted

Having married into a family that owned a Florida marina for 45-plus years, it is good to see that many commenters here understand the marina owners' perspective. We all know the time and energy and money that goes into maintaining a boat; think about all of the time and energy and money that goes into maintaining the docks, pumpout stations, fuel stations, bathrooms, showers, dumpsters, employees and workyards. And all of the innumerable laws, regulations, paperwork, theft, insurance and safety headaches that engulf owning such a sprawling business.
Add to all that - dealing with the public, of which 90% are good and kind, but the remaining 10% exhibit inexplicable disregard for safety and basic human decency. It's those 10% who force the marina owners to implement what appear on the surface to be heavy-handed policies.

Having married into a family that owned a Florida marina for 45-plus years, it is good to see that many commenters here understand the marina owners' perspective. We all know the time and energy and money that goes into maintaining a boat; think about all of the time and energy and money that goes into maintaining the docks, pumpout stations, fuel stations, bathrooms, showers, dumpsters, employees and workyards. And all of the innumerable laws, regulations, paperwork, theft, insurance and safety headaches that engulf owning such a sprawling business.
Add to all that - dealing with the public, of which 90% are good and kind, but the remaining 10% exhibit inexplicable disregard for safety and basic human decency. It's those 10% who force the marina owners to implement what appear on the surface to be heavy-handed policies.

Welcome to the forum! Hope your new build works out well.

BTW, I would ask for a discount at your marina, but I saw you used the past tense. :rolleyes:

Ted

BandB wrote;
"As to bigger bottles, no thanks, I'm not going to walk around with a gallon jug in my hand. Four or sometimes five 16 oz bottles does fine for me in a day. My wife drinks the same."

No No B,
Use your cups and glasses on board. We have rather stout plastic cups that we pour into fm the gallon jugs. Do'nt you know how to wash dishes?

BandB wrote;
"As to bigger bottles, no thanks, I'm not going to walk around with a gallon jug in my hand. Four or sometimes five 16 oz bottles does fine for me in a day. My wife drinks the same."

No No B,
Use your cups and glasses on board. We have rather stout plastic cups that we pour into fm the gallon jugs. Do'nt you know how to wash dishes?

Saving energy. Drink straight out of the bottle. Plus we don't just stay on the boat We go exploring. Easy to carry bottle along. Yes, I know how to wash dishes. You put them in the dishwasher, put dishwashing detergent in, turn it on and they wash.

Someone said something about time to track it. I don't take time to track. I just know off the top of my head the cost and how much I typically drink. We target that magic number of 8 glasses of water a day, which is four bottles. However, when we play tennis, basketball, walk miles, it's often more.

Drinking bottled water out of 16 oz bottles is just a simple thing for us. Easy to do, easy to dispose of the bottle properly. And healthy.

8 glasses of water a day is fake news. The real amount is 1/2 to 1 ounce for each pound of body weight. If you drink other liquids the amount of water is reduced. Wifey B might be inadvertently drowning herself.

8 glasses of water a day is fake news. The real amount is 1/2 to 1 ounce for each pound of body weight. If you drink other liquids the amount of water is reduced. Wifey B might be inadvertently drowning herself.

We don't drink other liquids and we know all the pros and cons and arguments on amounts. She does drink less than I do. The range you put is a very broad range. The amount of exertion certainly is important too and we are both very active. We don't target a specific number, we just drink as we feel the need and it happens to come out close to that number of 8. Probably a little more for me and a little less for her. Always interesting. Nephrologists would like you to drink more, Cardiologists would like less. Using your numbers I would drink between 6 and 12 bottles a day. So, that really changes nothing.

We're not tiny people. I'm 6'4 1/2" without shoes and she's 5'9 1/2". We would be drinking too much for a 5', 100 lb woman.

The only relevant point to this topic is that all our bottles are recyclable. 100% and we do recycle them.

You may recycle them, but in many municipalities the market is so poor for the plastics that they collect them in recycle bins, then off to the landfill they go.

Folks created quite a fuss when they quit accepting certain things. So it was better just to take them, then trash them. Folks felt good about their recycling that way.

You may recycle them, but in many municipalities the market is so poor for the plastics that they collect them in recycle bins, then off to the landfill they go.

Folks created quite a fuss when they quit accepting certain things. So it was better just to take them, then trash them. Folks felt good about their recycling that way.

Crap! Next you're going to tell me my local government isn't a faithful steward of my tax dollars. :ermm:

Ted

The insinuation and discussion of anyone on this forum indiscriminately dumping their trash is absurd and will have absolutely no effect on anyone who does dump. Let it go! The best course is to inform the forum members and other boaters of marinas that take our business for granted. Either AC and/or the forum; let the customers vote with their dollars. 'nough said...Go Duke!

You had me until you said " Go Duke".

How about just drinking water when one is thirsty? Isn't the human body pretty good at exhibiting it's needs?

My city discontinued the recycling pickup. I asked them why and they said the county would no longer take them. They suggested that I take my recyclables to a collection station about 20 miles round trip from my home.

I chose not to do that, it all goes in the trash/garbage now.

OK, this the way it's supposed to work:

We pulled into the town free day dock in Beaufort, SC for lunch and a walk around town. I was a used oil tank in the parking lot with a sign that said, "For Marina Use Only". I went over to the office, told them we were at the free dock and asked if we could dump oil and what would be the fee. They said to just dump it. They also unlocked their dumpster so we could get rid of our trash.

I said (after "thanks"), "We'll stop by the fuel dock on our way out and fill up.", which we did.

Our area they are recycled. Plastic water bottles are the most recyclable item they get. Ours are also compacted so in perfect condition for resell by them. There is a lot more plastic being reused than most know. However, I do knot communities where it's not getting done. I was told when they started here in the early 90's that the contract said the vendor must recycle 85% of all items in the recycle containers and they were recycling about 15%. One problem was that west of us in the county a world class recycle center way ahead of it's time was built, but the neighbors protested and cut it's production and finally it just gave up and closed.

I've followed up carefully on local recycling since we're spending so much on it in our businesses. Actually, I didn't. Those working for me did. I just read what they find.

OK, this the way it's supposed to work:

We pulled into the town free day dock in Beaufort, SC for lunch and a walk around town. I was a used oil tank in the parking lot with a sign that said, "For Marina Use Only". I went over to the office, told them we were at the free dock and asked if we could dump oil and what would be the fee. They said to just dump it. They also unlocked their dumpster so we could get rid of our trash.

I said (after "thanks"), "We'll stop by the fuel dock on our way out and fill up.", which we did.

I've seen similar many times. We pull in and have quite a bit of garbage. We ask what the cost is to use their dumpster. Generally they say to just use it. I think making it clear you're willing to pay helps. You're not acting like they owe it to you.

We don't recycle because there's no place around here that accepts recycling. When we're on the boat we use 12oz plastic bottles but we refill them from the faucets. I filter all of the water that goes into the tank so it's pretty free of all the "stuff" we don't like the taste of.

As to handling garbage, we have a trash compactor and put everything in there except glass. The compactor puts about 2 weeks worth of garbage into a bag that's easily handled for disposal. If we're longer than a full bag between stops/ports we can store the bag on the back deck until we find a place that will take it. Easy Peazy.

We don't recycle because there's no place around here that accepts recycling. When we're on the boat we use 12oz plastic bottles but we refill them from the faucets. I filter all of the water that goes into the tank so it's pretty free of all the "stuff" we don't like the taste of.

As to handling garbage, we have a trash compactor and put everything in there except glass. The compactor puts about 2 weeks worth of garbage into a bag that's easily handled for disposal. If we're longer than a full bag between stops/ports we can store the bag on the back deck until we find a place that will take it. Easy Peazy.

When we're cruising, we bag recyclable separately but we'll go a long time without seeing any places set up to handle it so we'll put it in regular trash. The only thing we don't do that with is water bottles because they crush so well and take up far less space empty and crushed than they did full. When we have space we'll occasionally hold some of the cleanest recyclables.

It is easy.

We also refill plastic water bottles from the tap. (with no filter, and have yet to die from it).
We also avoid buying products that overuse packaging. We re-use permanent shopping bags. We buy loose fruit & veggies, rather than those in plastic containers. We don't put them in a plastic bag, which gets put in another plastic bag etc etc. We don't use garbage bin liners.

The majority of waste on the boat tends to be beer cans and wine bottles. I may have to look into putting beer on tap.

At home, our family of four normally dumps a total of about 20 litres (5 gallons) of un-compacted garbage per week.

We do have a good recycling service (as does 99% of Australia), and we do have chickens to take care of most food scraps.

My daughter is very hot on this subject.If you have spent any time in Asia you will have seen the end result of plastic in all its forms.

"Reusing 1 glass bottle will prevent the purchase and consumption of more than 240 plastic bottles every year
 One plastic bottle will take more than 450 years to completely break down (that’s 25 generations!)
 This year, more than 250 billion pounds of plastic will be created with very little of that production ever being recycled – that’s about 37 pounds of new plastic created for every single person on the planet
 The number of disposable plastic water bottles consumed in the US in 2010 could fill 849,941 school buses (double the number of school buses on the road today)
 The U.S is the largest consumer of plastic bottled water in the world
 Annually, Americans consume more 8.6 billion gallons of bottled water each year
 The average U.S. citizen consumes more than 21 gallons of water every year
 The price of bottled water is up to 10,000 times the cost of tap water
 Only 10% of the cost of bottled water goes to the actual water, the other 90% goes to the packaging, transportation and marketing
 More than 75% of plastic water bottles are never recycled, they’re simply thrown away
 PET (plastic) water bottles generate more than 121 million tons of waste each year
 Manufacturing & filling the plastic water bottles, on average wastes 30-40% of the water involved in the process
 It takes 47 million gallons of oil to create plastic water bottles each year
 Every year in the U.S. in excess of 38 billion plastic bottles end up in landfills
 15 billion pounds of plastic are produced in the U.S. every year & only 1 billion pounds are recycled
 Every year at least 1 million seabirds and 100,000 marine mammals & sea turtles die when they entangle themselves in plastic pollution or ingest plastics
 In the U.S. 1,500 plastic water bottles are consumed every second. 70% of those will never be recycled.
 90% of the trash in the ocean is from plastic
 At least 40% of bottled water is tap water."

Sources: Algalita, American Beverage Council, Environmental Working Group, National Resources Defense Council, Plastic Pollution Coalition, Project Aware, U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Andy G. Most of what you posted is true or at least partially so. However, one point is missed. There are two ways of reducing plastic bottles. One is not to use them. The other is to be very diligent and make sure all are recycled. I think there should be consideration of refundable deposits but I know that's a huge hassle. We are diligent. We do know what happens to our plastic bottles. They do get recycled. We are not part of the 70% that don't get recycled. Looking at plastic water bottles specifically. The amount of plastic has been reduced 60% and they are 100% recyclable. The problem is that they are not fully biodegradable although Dasani is working on a plant bottle.

We admire those of you who are concerned. We are as well. We approach it our way which may be different than yours.

There are many things today that people assume cannot be recycled. Styrofoam is one. I know we're not allowed to put it in the recycling bin. So, it can be recycled but isn't in most places.

Mixed items are a huge issue too as are other items. There's a long way to go. The keys do remain making it easy and giving it a financial incentive either by rewarding or by penalizing.

One thing I must add is that waste collection in the US has been in the hands primarily of a couple of companies that haven't always had the best records in how they handled things. In cities, they compete for the residential contracts, but often aren't watched carefully. I would also say most businesses really know very little about their waste collectors. They know the cost and that they take it away. Do they separate all recyclables and get them to the right people? Try asking one of their sales people one time and see if you get a straight answer.

Please stop promulgating this perception of sailboaters. Have you observed this trend yourself? I sailed for 15 years and never saw this kind of behavior.

Of course sailboaters buy much less fuel than powerboaters. They use much less fuel.

Thank you

Richard

I just retired from about fifty years in the marine industry. I can tell you that sailors have a reputation for being cheap. It is at least partially based in reality.
It is not true of all sailors, but a big enough percentage that the reputation sticks.

I think it comes from the sailors who live aboard because it's cheaper than living on land. It's cheaper than living on land because they take advantage of free land based facilities. The City of Miami Beach has gotten sick of it and has responded by eliminating free dinghy docks. Unfortunately that effects real cruisers as well.

On last year's cruise to the Great Barrier Reef there was one anchorage where I saw a couple of modest sized sailboats take their garbage ashore at low tide and burn it on the beach. There was no metal or glass in the garbage, and at the end just a little pile of ashes. It doesn't bother me they did it. I suspect that's the way sailors have been doing it for a long time, but not sure if its still legal. The issue for a lot of those boats is very limited space, and few visits to towns/marinas.

I recycle wine bottles and beer cans, and cardboard packaging. Annoyingly I have been to marina's that would not take crushed beer cans, only un-crushed ones. Not sure why, but as they weren't taking much space it was easy to keep them on board a bit longer until we got to some place where we could dispose of them.

The bottled water situation is just nuts. Most of the boats that people here own have water tanks. Get the tank in good enough condition to be able to drink the water out of it ! I do have filters on the icemaker supply and drinking water faucet, but I don't really think its necessary. Fill a reusable container for excursions. Its not hard!

Sometime soon there will be a realisation about the energy and resources cost of over-packaging and waste disposal, recycled or not. I'm amazed the 'carbon-police/fanatics' have not already woken up to it. It really is the low-hanging fruit for improving the world we share.

Last edited:
Andy,
Did you forget your daughter in your sources list?

Everytime I go up to Canada I'm amazed at how much non-Americans know about America.

Last edited:
"I'd like to think somewhere there is a water bottle recycling forum that has been taken over by a boating discussion....."

GOOD GRIEF!

Don't tell me there has been a hijack on TF, I'm appalled, outraged......where are the mods when you need them. ;)

Andy,
Did you forget your daughter in your sources list?

Quite right:

"Reusing 1 glass bottle will prevent the purchase and consumption of more than 240 plastic bottles every year
 One plastic bottle will take more than 450 years to completely break down (that’s 25 generations!)
 This year, more than 250 billion pounds of plastic will be created with very little of that production ever being recycled – that’s about 37 pounds of new plastic created for every single person on the planet
 The number of disposable plastic water bottles consumed in the US in 2010 could fill 849,941 school buses (double the number of school buses on the road today)
 The U.S is the largest consumer of plastic bottled water in the world
 Annually, Americans consume more 8.6 billion gallons of bottled water each year
 The average U.S. citizen consumes more than 21 gallons of water every year
 The price of bottled water is up to 10,000 times the cost of tap water
 Only 10% of the cost of bottled water goes to the actual water, the other 90% goes to the packaging, transportation and marketing
 More than 75% of plastic water bottles are never recycled, they’re simply thrown away
 PET (plastic) water bottles generate more than 121 million tons of waste each year
 Manufacturing & filling the plastic water bottles, on average wastes 30-40% of the water involved in the process
 It takes 47 million gallons of oil to create plastic water bottles each year
 Every year in the U.S. in excess of 38 billion plastic bottles end up in landfills
 15 billion pounds of plastic are produced in the U.S. every year & only 1 billion pounds are recycled
 Every year at least 1 million seabirds and 100,000 marine mammals & sea turtles die when they entangle themselves in plastic pollution or ingest plastics
 In the U.S. 1,500 plastic water bottles are consumed every second. 70% of those will never be recycled.
 90% of the trash in the ocean is from plastic
 At least 40% of bottled water is tap water."

Sources: Algalita, American Beverage Council, Environmental Working Group, National Resources Defense Council, Plastic Pollution Coalition, Project Aware, U.S. Department of Agriculture, & Izzy G (aka Das Daughter )

Everytime I go up to Canada I'm amazed at how much non-Americans know about America.

I don't know if this applies to Canada , however growing up in Oz in the 50's & 60's watching TV & films sometimes we really felt we were 53rd state.Additionally, as a country we are big travelers, for the young the proverbial gap year has been part of our culture for many years,go see the world was the advice we received from our parents, and once you stop working full time we tend to pack up & travel.

I think all this adds up to the feeling of curiosity about other countries.

Last edited:

Canadians (and Australians) know quite a bit about the rest of the world......unlike some. :hide:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom