No Trash Disposal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm astounded at this comment. You can always bring your trash home with you.

I like to "astound" people. Get them all worked up over nothing.

Again, I do not do that and did not say I did. Don't get yourself too worked up over something you've imagined. It's bad for your health.

The public boat landing next to my marina has a "pack it in, pack it out" policy. There are no trash/garbage cans. So what do people do? Leave their trash in the bushes.

Every single public dinghy dock I've seen has dumpsters and allows dumping. I've never had an issue finding a place to legally dump garbage. Wanting the convenience of using the gas dock, and having places available to dump are somewhat mutually exclusive topics.

If marinas won't take our trash, we're pretty much left with no option other than to toss it overboard or dinghy it to shore and dump it in the woods or on the beach...
Plenty of options if you are willing and able to think sensibly. I would add "disgusted" to "astounded".
I don`t think a marina just selling you fuel is obliged to take your garbage, but it is worth trying to negotiate it. If one of 2 marinas will take it,they will get your fuel purchase if garbage disposal is pressing.

Every single public dinghy dock I've seen has dumpsters and allows dumping. ............

Read the last paragraph of my post above yours. BTW, None of the public docks here have trash cans or places to leave trash or garbage.

Boating in BC and the San Juan's, we are used to hauling our trash around. We sort the recyclables, compress what we can, and store it in the engine room or somewhere else until we get to a place where we can dispose of it. A week of trash is not uncommon. The island communities have to move their trash to Vancouver Island or the mainland. That makes trash disposal expensive. Boaters can generate quite a bit of trash. Most marinas in the islands charge for disposal even if you are staying there overnight. Other marina just state they don't have trash facilities. In Ganges, you have to use a bag provided by the marina. It's $5 (maybe more now) and very small. Two plastic gallon jugs would fill the bag.

I've seen the boaters that lead to stances like that of the marina. There are boaters who think they're entitled to anchor out, come in by dinghy, with a week of garbage and toss it on top of a dumpster that is already full. Some go further expecting free dinghy docking because they'll just be there a few minutes or sneaking to the showers.

I've also seen very large yachts with the entire crew carrying bag after bag of trash that must have been several days. They bought no fuel and although they did dock overnight the quantity of trash without asking anyone just was excessive.

We've run across marinas in the Caribbean with charges by the bag and that may be the best way, charge everything ala carte.

It's difficult for marinas sometimes to figure out how to take care of good customers but not be overrun by freeloaders. I was at one marina that had the dumpster area locked, not really because of boaters but they had a problem with people who lived nearby. If anyone asked, they would gladly unlock it for you. However, there was one boat that pulled in to the side, started putting trash in every trash can there, overflowing them all. I don't know how they had so much trash, but the dockmaster confronted them and said that would be $75. They were outraged. He said, "you should have asked, either pay or take your trash out and with you." They cursed him and started toward their boat to leave, asked him what he was going to do. He told them arrest for theft of services. I was afraid it was going to get physical but they got their trash back out and left, screaming and cursing as they did.

Waste handling has become increasingly expensive for businesses. I think the marina in question probably should reconsider. I'd charge for waste by the bag but eliminate that charge based on money spent.

I would love to see everyone implement a per bag fee. Anything that gets people thinking about how much trash they generate is good for all of us....especially our kids.

Bethnic has it right. We need to be able to offload trash, but reduce,reduce and reduce.

We crush, crush, crush, and crush. Still when on the water, recycling is impractical. The one item we do recycle 100% is plastic water bottles. Bottled water gets a lot of criticism but that's all we drink and the bottles are 100% recyclable. Even on very long trips hundreds of plastic water bottles crush into taking very little space.

A problem is that 85% of waste is recyclable but about 34% actually is recycled and I think that estimate may be high. Every town has different rules. Within the town different rules for single family houses, condos, apartments and businesses. We weren't good at it at one time but we just developed the discipline. Still while on the boat for weeks, we end up dumping in dumpsters with all waste because of no other options. At home we're diligent.

I re-use one gal drinking water jugs. Fill them up where there is good tap water. That's all that bottled water is, mostly. Keep 10-15 full jugs on the boat while on trips. Saves on cash and the amount of trash created.

I re-use one gal drinking water jugs. Fill them up where there is good tap water. That's all that bottled water is, mostly. Keep 10-15 full jugs on the boat while on trips. Saves on cash and the amount of trash created.

That's your choice, but the risk of bacteria is significant. We use individual bottles, as larger jugs require a second container. 100% of the trash we create on bottled water can be recycled. Can't argue the cash savings with you.

Sad to admit, but even boating has its low lifes. I have seen a couple sailboats and a power boat do the late night slip theft at my summer marina in Crisfield, MD. If you don't catch them while they're tied up, it's hard to get law enforcement excited about tracking down a boat over a $75 slip theft. Have seen a sailboat tie to a "T" head; fill their water tank; drop a big trash bag on the dock; only to go 300 yards away to anchor out. I truly believe some marinas get a reputation as an easy mark for this stuff

As far as trash on the boat, I'm a committed recycler even if the marinas aren't. Not difficult to hold 2 weeks of trash if you sort and collapse. While I spend few nights while cruising in a marina, I tend to all my needs since I'm paying for a slip and electric. Try to be nice and friendly in the office, and ask where trash and recycling goes while handing them my credit card for dockage. Think a lot of problems can be avoided with a smile and a friendly attitude.

Ted

Call me a cynic, but I don't think most people will change behavoir out of a sense of civic benevolence. No one cared about "miles per gallon" until gas prices went through the roof, no one paid for a programmable thermostat until heating costs made it worthwhile, exhaust from cars was accepted until emission testing became mandatory. Cruise ships used to just dump trash overboard until fines and PR issues forced them to changed their behavior. Now many of them recycle and newer ships even have full fledged trash processing plants on board. Eventually trash will start to cost people time and money, and behavior will change.

As somebody else mentioned, sailboaters are famous for buying five gallons of fuel and then taking on 60 gallons of free water, having their holding tank pumped, dumping a couple weeks worth of trash and garbage and using the bathrooms. Adding insult to injury, they then spend the night anchored in front of the marina. I suppose powerboaters might do this as well but they probably buy a lot more fuel in the process.

This just sounds like some grousing by power boaters who are jealous of the fuel economy of an efficient FD hull form and small engine. Five gallons is a significant fuel purchase for my sailboat. However I usually just fill it up once a year whether I need it or not.

Every single public dinghy dock I've seen has dumpsters and allows dumping. I've never had an issue finding a place to legally dump garbage. Wanting the convenience of using the gas dock, and having places available to dump are somewhat mutually exclusive topics.

As Wes mentioned, there are some locations where trash disposal is inordinately expensive. I have cruised places in the PNW and BC where it is difficult to find a place to dispose of garbage. This is something that we just plan for and we store our garbage for as long as needed until we get back to an area where we can dispose of trash. There are also some places where they have created businesses that will dispose of your trash for a fee.

FWIW, I never buy oil for my cars from vendors who don't also take my used oil. I pay a little more for my oil but want to support those that provide the service.

Roger,
You're talking like an old English lord.
Many marinas do'nt have an endless capacity for disposing of other people's garbage. When you're going away from home you're garbage is'nt other peoples responsibility. It's yours.

To use an old English Lord phrase, that's just Horsepucky!

Marina's don't have and endless capacity for pumping gas and diesel fuel either but the figure it out because it makes good business sense to provide a service.

Maybe cruising is different where you are but here on the east coast people cruise for weeks and months snowbirding. How much trash do you think a boat can hold and where would you suggest disposing of it if marinas decide to stop accepting it?

WesK wrote;
"I did not say that I would do that, nor did I suggest that anyone would. Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions."

You had to think that to say that.
You are what you are.
It's hard to imagine anyone dumping their garbage on a beach.
Most would not think to speak of it.
Much less printing it for thousands to read.

I have seen the results of this and that's why I posted it. If you have never seen trash or garbage dumped or left on a beach, you have never been to a beach. :banghead:

I would love to see everyone implement a per bag fee. Anything that gets people thinking about how much trash they generate is good for all of us....especially our kids.

At the risk of being flamed again, if disposal is not free and convenient, some people will throw it overboard or just leave it lying around. Not me, but some people. Again, I see it often.

I like to "astound" people. Get them all worked up over nothing.

Again, I do not do that and did not say I did. Don't get yourself too worked up over something you've imagined. It's bad for your health.

The public boat landing next to my marina has a "pack it in, pack it out" policy. There are no trash/garbage cans. So what do people do? Leave their trash in the bushes.

It's simple to dispose of trash, burn in it on a floating metal garbage can towed behind the boat.

It's simple to dispose of trash, burn in it on a floating metal garbage can towed behind the boat.

(Just in case you are actually serious.)

I haven't seen a metal garbage can in years.

I have heard stories on boating forums suggesting taking trash and garbage to a deserted beach and burning it there. I'm not sure they were serious either. And of course, some things are not going to burn without an incinerator.

Requesting the desired service and indicating a willingness to pay is the appropriate way ahead (and pretty much what Roger did). A marina can structure the fee (refuse, water, etc) to provide them with a better profit margin than fuel sales or use it as incentive to buy another service. In many cases marinas have very limited transient slips at peak seasons it would provide a new revenue capacity. If a marina has no interest in entering the trash business it is certainly understandable and their right but it will increase demand and value to other marinas. The regional overhead will naturally drive market prices for any such service.
Clear and honest communication between boaters and marinas facilitates the best situations, while some have indicated that Roger's response was of entitlement, I feel the complete opposite as he was polite to the attendant, clearly provided feed back for management and did not take to the Web bashing the marina by name.
As long as marinas price their services appropriately, the is no reason a sailboat paying for water and trash service should be any less profitable than a sportfish spending $1200 in fuel.

To expect a marina to take you garbage for free is a bit much as they have to pay the disposal company for hauling it away. I have no problem with paying a reasonable fee to do so. You don't get your garbage hauled away at home for free either.

On the other hand if I purchase 400 or 500 gallons of fuel and they refuse to take garbage, even for a fee, I guarantee that is the last time I buy fuel from that marina by choice.

At the risk of being flamed again, if disposal is not free and convenient, some people will throw it overboard or just leave it lying around. Not me, but some people. Again, I see it often.

Not flaming, but unfortunately, even when the disposal is free and convenient, some people will still toss out trash where ever they please. :banghead:

We live in the country but the nearest town is only a few minutes away. The town has two grocery stores with in 1/4 mile of each other. The nearest grocery stores outside of town are 30-45 minutes away which means people have to go shopping in those stores unless they haul in groceries from out of town.

There is a county dump station behind one of the grocery stores which makes it pretty danged convenient to dump your trash when you got get groceries.

Furthermore, while the county had to implement a sticker to dump trash because the dump stations near the county line were being heavily used by people in other counties, the station in town does NOT require a sticker to encourage county residents to properly dispose of trash.

There is no fee to dump trash. The dump stations are paid for via property tax bills, so if you rent or own property in the county, you have paid for access, and again, there is not dump charge.

Properly disposing of trash in my area is easy, convenient, cheap, and paid for once a year....

But we still have people illegally dumping trash. :banghead:

There was one trailer I saw years ago, where the people just took the garbage and put it in the woods. :facepalm::eek::banghead: They used white trash bags and the woods were full of the white bages. :confused:

We live at the end of a dead end road and we have a gate across the road to protect our property and minimize illegal trash dumping. Notice the word minimize....

One Friday evening, I heard a car down at the gate and I thought it was the wife but it was not her. She came home later and locked the gate. Monday when I went to work, I stopped to unlock the gate and noticed that the person/people in the car I had heard on Friday had tossed trash into the woods. :banghead: To say I was ticked is an understatement. It was pouring rain and by the time I could get the trash a few days later, it was pretty rank. If the $%^&*() had left the trash at the gate it would have been easy because I was taking a load of trash to the dump when I found that %^&*()_ trash.

A couple of weeks later, the $%^&*()_ did it again but at least this time he left it at the gate. :eek: In the mean time, he had stopped his car, walked into the woods a good distance and tossed another bag on someone else's property. :banghead: I think this moron was working on a house in the neighborhood because this dumping stopped after awhile. The thing is, the house was under construction and had a dumpster to use.....

Having said that, we have had neighbors dump yard trash on our place, and on two occasions, used cat litter. I think the later was a teenager who was told to take it to the dump and just put it on our place. :facepalm:

The one that really make me scratch my head was some dumping that took place on land next to ours. A large parcel was subdivided and they cleared the new lots lines so there was about 15-20 feet of space through the woods which was very odd. One of the lot line intersects our land and I walked down the line to see what was going on. Well, I was barely on the other property when I noticed a bunch of trash. :banghead: Some dufus had driven a truck, ATV or tractor down the line and dumped the trash in the woods. :facepalm: Furthermore, someone had dumped not one, but two 4 ton hydraulic jacks on the road that had been built in the new subdivision. :banghead:

I am pretty sure I know who did this. They lived near the new subdivision and had trespassed on our place one time. What is so odd about this is that they HAVE to go to the local grocery stores for food which puts them right close to the dump station they can use at no cost. Whoever dumped the trash on the neighboring property spent more time committing a crime than it would have taken to go to the dump. :facepalm:

Some people are dumber than rocks.

Later,
Dan

I've never liked the word "Free." Nothing is free. It may be bundled as part of some other service. However, if it's not being charged for separately then the cost of it is being spread among all customers, regardless of usage. That makes a strong argument for charging for everything ala carte. However, taken to the extreme, that would be mind boggling. Imagine being charged $120, electric by kwh, water by gallon, trash by bag, restroom fee by usage and specifics, every use of shower, perhaps even a fee for how many times you walked on the dock.

So, ultimately businesses have to decide what method of charging works best for them. However, any customer expectations that anything is or should be free just is illogical. But then that also makes a stance by a marina not to make a basic need available illogical and poor business. Charge what you feel you need to. If customers get outraged over the price, seems at least better than not making available at any price. If there is some local ordinance that doesn't allow you to offer a service then post that. All in all, much of it is about transparency and honesty. If a service is outrageously expensive at your location, then explain that. On the other side, the customer needs to be honest and show perspective as well. Understand all areas aren't the same. Two marinas across the cove from each other may be in different towns or counties and have different issues. And please don't talk about the marina five miles away has the service for free. No, they don't. Now, if their total costs are lower, then compare and choose.

I am fine with whatever method of charging a marina chooses. I figure ultimately it all balances out. I'm guessing in the past 4 years, we've stayed at around 350 marinas and there have been at least 300 different ways they charged. I don't care so much the method of charging, but I do care what services are offered.

I re-use one gal drinking water jugs. Saves on cash and the amount of trash created.

We do that as well, carrying Britta filtered jugs to the boat as needed...

Greetings,
Sounds like a pretty good case to go back to steam power. Ready but limited supply of fuel.

giphy.gif

The insinuation and discussion of anyone on this forum indiscriminately dumping their trash is absurd and will have absolutely no effect on anyone who does dump. Let it go! The best course is to inform the forum members and other boaters of marinas that take our business for granted. Either AC and/or the forum; let the customers vote with their dollars. 'nough said...Go Duke!

(Just in case you are actually serious.)

I haven't seen a metal garbage can in years.

I have heard stories on boating forums suggesting taking trash and garbage to a deserted beach and burning it there. I'm not sure they were serious either. And of course, some things are not going to burn without an incinerator.

We just recycled two of them, and I have two more.

Was joking, but thinking could actually work. If you had a 5 gallon metal can ballasted to remain upright. Just dont burn at night as it seems like an emergency signal. fend it off with poles to keep fire away from the boat and burn when it is calm water.

We do that on a smaller scale.
BandB must be stocking those little soda pop bottles what 16oz? Get bigger bottles BandB.

We do that on a smaller scale.
BandB must be stocking those little soda pop bottles what 16oz? Get bigger bottles BandB.

We drink out of 16 oz bottles. Always have one nearby. For those who think it's cost extravagant, I drink bottled water, my average cost per day of all beverages I consume in a day is no more than $0.36 and it's $0.45 on the high days. How much do you spend daily on beverages?

Reusing plastic water bottles, whether 16 oz or gallon, carries huge risks. They are not made for multiple use. If you do reuse, make sure you wash well in soap and water, but not exceedingly hot water and check for any scratches or finish imperfections.

I am not talking about cancer risk which was an often disproved hoax and at worst only an issue if they're exposed to very high temperatures. I'm talking about bacteria that will accumulate over time on the surface. These bottles are not made to the standards of polypropylene and other materials.

As to bigger bottles, no thanks, I'm not going to walk around with a gallon jug in my hand. Four or sometimes five 16 oz bottles does fine for me in a day. My wife drinks the same.

Back
Top Bottom