Old 04-26-2014, 10:32 PM   #1
KJ
El Capitan

City: N Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
No Swimming

I was gonna go swimming off the dock next to my boat this morning.

The spot was already taken.

Thatís the bow of my boat in the first pic. Yikes! KJ

KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:49 PM   #2
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Sure am happy I don't share swimming holes with those things

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:09 AM   #3
Guru

If that is fresh water you have a double whammy eaten by croc and potential electrocution. Definitely no swimming. Does anybody know if crocs get electrocuted swimming around marinas?
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:14 AM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
I don't know any marinas that allow swimming, due to the electrocution danger. Even before the Crocodile, I'd have advised against it. Plus often fuel in the water and bacteria so ear infections more likely.

And, yes, they can get electrocuted. It's one way sometimes they're illegal hunted/fished for.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:19 AM   #5
FF
Guru

That size is Bait .

Come visit here and see his grand father 12-14 ft long!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:31 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
My alligator story:
In 1999 we cruised with our Black Lab, a real water dog. Frequent problem when anchored is that he would jump in and go for a swim.

Now this is a city dog from the north (Chicago). On day he went to the aft deck and started over the transom when he for the first time in his life he saw an alligator. One look and the dog reversed course and flew to the forward stateroom and huddled. Instinct or something saved him.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:38 AM   #7

City: St James City, Fl
Vessel Name: Sweet Pea
Vessel Model: Nimble Nomad 25' Trawler
FF is right! I grew up in Clewiston on Lake Okeechobee and the one in the pic is cute compared to some of the monsters there.
Nimble1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:50 AM   #8
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
I learned to water ski in Bayou Black (Houma, La.) the gators gave me a great deal of motivation to get up on the ski.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:00 AM   #9
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. KJ. Isn't NC a bit far north of the gator's usual habitat? Global warming?
Old 04-27-2014, 08:05 AM   #10
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
RTF, boy, why ya think they named that creek in NC the Alligator River? KJ is way down in Myrtle, anyways.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:22 AM   #11
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
KJ, I don't know what that is, but I don't believe it's an alligator. Here is what a real alligator looks like. How about a little pork for lunch?
Attached Images

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:40 AM   #12
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
The really bad one is the one that bit part of that one's tail off.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:01 AM   #13
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
True story, falling under the category of "how do some of us ever survive to adulthood?"

For several years, my son's email moniker was "gatorbait" because of a stupid thing he did while in college in Jackson, MS. He and some other testosterone-addled friends would go out at night and catch 2 to 3 foot gators, mostly for thrill-seeking and because the gators were fascinating to watch--animals have always intrigued him. They would spot them in the water and simply jump on them, wrestle them to the bank, observe their behavior, take pictures and let them go. (No gators were harmed in this tale.)

One night, he miscalculated and jumped onto a gator that was considerably larger than he is. John's a big guy, ex-wrestler, black belt, a rock-climber and a powerful young man. But he said that instantly they had rocketed 20 or 30 yards down the river, while he held on for dear life. The gator's reaction was so instantaneous and violent that he literally had no time to let go. When he realized the situation he was in, he thought the only thing worse than being in the water in the dark attached to a gator that size was to be in the water and not know where it was. So he continued to hold on.

Then the gator started rolling while he was still locked on with his arms and legs. His friends ran down the bank with flashlights and he could see them shining at him above the surface. At one point, when the light hit the gator, he was looking directly into its eye, which he said was one of the most unnerving moments of all. He saw hands reaching out to him, timed his move when the gator rolled him to the surface, grabbed them and was pulled to safety by his friends. The whole experience lasted perhaps a minute or two but it transformed him from a heedless, "immortal" risk-taker to a thoughtful, responsible adult who now weighs the pros and cons of everything before plunging in. So, despite the outrage his mother and I expressed when we learned about this years afterward, maybe on balance it wasn't all bad.

But, yeah, good call on not going swimming yesterday, KJ
angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:51 AM   #14
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Years ago we were in the recently opened marina in Ixtapa Mexico. The admiral decided that I was not keeping up appearances and thought the hull needed to be waxed. She took it on herself to lay on the dock and reach out and wax the hull.
She was waxing the boot stripe when I walked up ( I was no doubt down the dock drinking free beer at some other sailors expense .. as we sailors always attempted to do ) and noticed a nice sized salt water Crocodile floating behind her about 4' away. Not wishing to startle her too much I reached down and took her hand and lifted her from the dock.. then proceeded to ask her about her "friend".. she practically climbed to the top of my shoulders while screaming at the top of her lungs!

The part that really pissed me off is I had to finish the wax job.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:38 PM   #15
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
Years ago we were in the recently opened marina in Ixtapa Mexico. The admiral decided that I was not keeping up appearances and thought the hull needed to be waxed. She took it on herself to lay on the dock and reach out and wax the hull.
She was waxing the boot stripe when I walked up ( I was no doubt down the dock drinking free beer at some other sailors expense .. as we sailors always attempted to do ) and noticed a nice sized salt water Crocodile floating behind her about 4' away. Not wishing to startle her too much I reached down and took her hand and lifted her from the dock.. then proceeded to ask her about her "friend".. she practically climbed to the top of my shoulders while screaming at the top of her lungs!

The part that really pissed me off is I had to finish the wax job.

HOLLYWOOD
And thus the moral of the story...no such thing as "free beer"...you always pay somehow...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:27 PM   #16
Guru

Kj. I did not know you were such a sissy
Attached Files
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:12 PM   #17
Guru

okay so maybe you are not a sissy, sharks would make me nervous
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:28 PM   #18
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
As to gators in NC, for years there was a huge gator who lived beside the Battleship North Carolina in the Cape Fear River. He was almost as big a tourist draw as the chip was.

Short story on gators-my parents lived in Gainesville, FL on a golf course. They had several gators in the ponds on the course. One of their neighbors had a little annoying dog that would chase golf balls. Some golfers complained but the owners thought it was cute. One evening as the guy was walking the dog on the course, a gator came up out of a pond and snatched the dog. Those things can be amazingly quick.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:16 PM   #19
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
To paraphrase....Gator done...

Old 04-29-2014, 03:43 PM   #20
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Cool pic and fun thread.

Honestly though, really unlikely that if you had jumped in (I know you were joking) it would have run like crazy. Gators that size are very seldom aggressive towards humans. Not like the crocs in Australia.

Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote