Old 05-22-2016, 02:07 PM   #1
Guru

No microwave oven....???

In my refrigeration thread, I mentioned that we would have to sacrifice the microwave for the Vitrifrigo fridge/freezer.
More "enlightened" members cautioned that the world would end, we would starve, I'd be expelled from the forum, etc. if we went down this route.

Not to be labeled a heretic or even worse stubborn, I decided to do some research and see if perhaps we might find a good compromise.

How about one of these below a gas cooktop?
Microwave Ovens by Wolf | MC24 | Sub-Zero & Wolf Appliances
Then we'd have a microwave/convection oven and a gas cooktop! I can bake bread, thaw frozen hotdogs (or whatever a microwave is used for) and I can cook on gas without firing up the generator in the morning!

Most importantly, we get the cool fridge that I want!

Thoughts?
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:21 PM   #2
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Cold beer is much more important than microwave popcorn.....Just sayin...
Old 05-22-2016, 02:35 PM   #3
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
That Wolf combo looks great. Can't imagine not having a microwave on a boat let alone a real oven. But then we do a lot more cooking, and complex cooking at that, than 90% of cruisers.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 03:31 PM   #4
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Bruce, the combination oven does look great. Be sure that the oven performance (what you would really be using) is adequate for your needs. If you are already going to have a propane stove top, then a propane oven is easy and might serve your needs better.

I would never be without the microwave, but don't let our biases move you in a direction you don't want to go.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:13 PM   #5
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I carried a countertop MW for a couple years. Just did not use it very often. Got rid of it and then got a toaster oven. I use that way more often than the MW. Most of my cooking is in a pot or a pan or on the grill, the microwave just got in the way. Microwaves are good if you are in a hurry. In a boat you have PLENTY of time to cook the right way!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:25 PM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Playing devil's advocate:

If this is used in place of the oven in the galley picture and under the cook top, ventilation of the unit may be an issue. Microwaves generate a moderate amount of heat that needs to be vented to keep from cooking the electronics. Not an issue if you're nuking something for 10 minutes; possibly a concern if cooking for an hour.

I don't follow land based appliance manufacturers. Any track record of these units or this manufacturer on boats? Corrosion and vibration come to mind first. Not an issue with a $100 microwave (throw away); more important with a $1,000 stove.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:25 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
I carried a countertop MW for a couple years. Just did not use it very often. Got rid of it and then got a toaster oven. I use that way more often than the MW. Most of my cooking is in a pot or a pan or on the grill, the microwave just got in the way. Microwaves are good if you are in a hurry. In a boat you have PLENTY of time to cook the right way!!
That was my original contention..
I had my head handed to me (figuratively speaking) so I wondered if a convection oven/microwave might be a better bet later when we get around to selling the boat...
Bruce
Old 05-22-2016, 04:53 PM   #8
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Microwaves are great for cooking corn on the cob quick.
Wrap in paper towel and cook in a couple of minutes.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:27 PM   #9
Guru

City: Sydney
We removed our new microwave/convection oven form our small holiday home kitchen after a month because it generated so much heat into the kitchen and cupboards either side and above. Microwave/convection ovens require a LOT of air ventilation space around them and unless you have a big galley with lots of space I wouldn't be fitting one
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:22 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
We removed our new microwave/convection oven form our small holiday home kitchen after a month because it generated so much heat into the kitchen and cupboards either side and above. Microwave/convection ovens require a LOT of air ventilation space around them and unless you have a big galley with lots of space I wouldn't be fitting one
Or just ventilate the galley appropriately.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 05-22-2016, 06:39 PM   #11
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
I wouldn't change my plans because of the comments of others. You may well end up with something you don't like as well.

As to combo convection ovens/microwaves, I've generally not seen any good reviews on them. I'm not familiar with the Wolf specifically. But if you lower the quality of the functions you use to satisfy others with a microwave, that will be a mistake. Again, not addressing Wolf, but true cooks and chefs I know claim that the combo units are not true convection ovens at that point.

Feel free to go against the crowd as you originally planned. We do all the time.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:42 PM   #12

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: 2018 Hampton Endurance 658
Hotdogs will thaw in a glass of hot water.
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:54 PM   #13
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
No microwave on our boat - various reasons valid to us.
On yours - you have your reasons , valid to you.
If you sell in the future, let the buyer decide to change or leave it. By then
there may be something that will make the microwave obsolete.

Ted
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:10 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
Any meat thaws better dropped (in a water tight package) into water. Learned long ago at an Omaha Steaks store and it sure makes things easier. 30 minutes to an hour at most.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:32 PM   #15
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
Or put a stainless steel screw in each end and connect them across your boat's battery.

For anyone who doesn't understand how and when to cook with a microwave oven, there are better places to learn than a boating forum.

We use ours at home and on our boat. It's a big help on the boat and I wouldn't want to be without it.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:35 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
Or put a stainless steel screw in each end and connect them across your boat's battery.

For anyone who doesn't understand how and when to cook with a microwave oven, there are better places to learn than a boating forum.

We use ours at home and on our boat. It's a big help on the boat and I wouldn't want to be without it.
I agree and we'd never be without ours. However, if the OP has no unfulfilled need, then he doesn't need one. You add something to have it do something you need or want.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:42 PM   #17
Guru

We've known several people with microwave/convection units and they loved them. Too small for our purposes though:

Old 05-22-2016, 07:56 PM   #18
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
That was my original contention..
I had my head handed to me (figuratively speaking) so I wondered if a convection oven/microwave might be a better bet later when we get around to selling the boat...
Bruce
It would be much better for resale IF it was still working. Nice thing about a small microwave is that are easily replaceable as was mentioned.

I would not recommend dropping a lot to F money on something you don't think you will use. This is your boat after all, not the eventual next owner's.
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:11 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
It would be much better for resale IF it was still working. Nice thing about a small microwave is that are easily replaceable as was mentioned.

I would not recommend dropping a lot to F money on something you don't think you will use. This is your boat after all, not the eventual next owner's.
I'm simply trying to work through the possibilities here.
It is unlikely that we will have a microwave on our boat but it is an interesting exercise to work through.

We cook. My wife is good, I'm actually ok. One desire for this boat is that we take full advantage of what to us is a huge galley and use it.
We will figure it out!
Bruce
Old 05-22-2016, 09:09 PM   #20
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
We often cook in advance of a trip and reheat on the water. A microwave serves us well in this function.

Bruce B, tell us about the boat you're contemplating this for. If I installed the Wolf in my boat, I'd never be able to correct the stbd list!!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote