No good deed goes unpunished

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dougcole

Guru
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
'05 Mainship 40T
I had a haulout last month for a bottom job and while I was out I had them remove two through hulls and glass them over.

One of the through hulls was for an unused transducer that was no longer functioning. Since it went awol at a time when I was not due to be hauled and I really only need a basic transducer for this boat I replaced it with a P-80 shoot through transducer, mounting the new transducer right next to the old one and leaving the old one in place until my next haulout. It just seemed silly to spend close to $1,000 (including the cost of the haul) to replace a transducer and I figured if I didn't like the P-80 I could replace it with a better transducer at my next scheduled haul out.

Well, the P-80 works great, even good enough for fishing, and picks up fine even at 15 knots. So I decided to stick with it.

In order to glass over the old ducer hole the yard had to pull of my P-80 and they did not reattach it. So when I got the boat home I reinstalled it. Seeing as how there was so much more room for it without the old ducer in the way it was easy and I put it right on top of the spot where the old ducer came out.

Yeah, you guessed it...now it doesn't work. Turns out the yard put a one by one inch piece of foam in the hole to serve as a core and I managed to put the P-80 right on top of the only square inch of coring in my entire hull.

P-80s don't shoot through a cored hull. :banghead:

Time to reinstall.

That sucks... I am surprised that they a core in the hull, your hull isn’t cored is it?

You don't need all that, just use the force

You don't need all that, just use the force

True, LOL. In the Bahamas you really don't need a sounder all that much. Ours failed year before last right before we left (starting this entire mess) for a month long trip over there. We went anyway and I didn't really miss it all that much.

Back
Top Bottom