Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Had to laugh at this bit;

Quote:
Acceptable methods of securing the device include:

Closing the seacock and removing the handle;
Padlocking the seacock in the closed position;
Using a non-releasable wire-tie to hold the seacock in the closed position; or
Locking the door to the space enclosing the toilets with a padlock...
Those with desiccating heads will just shrug

Old 04-11-2018, 11:06 AM   #3

City: Mississippi
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Will they require the whales, seals and other wildlife to use an 'approved sanitary device'?
FoxtrotCharlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:50 AM   #4
Guru

City: AR
Locking the door to the space enclosing the toilets with a padlock...

Apparently you missed "If you have a treatment MSD (Type I or Type II...) Locking the head door is only acceptable if the toilet is connected to one.
33 CFR 159.7 has the complete list of acceptable means of securing both systems with holding tanks and systems with treatment devices in all NDZs, not just Puget Sound.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:55 AM   #5
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotCharlie View Post
Will they require the whales, seals and other wildlife to use an 'approved sanitary device'?
Why should they? Their emissions have been part of the ecosystem for millions of years. As has their food.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:31 PM   #6

City: Comox
Vessel Model: 1994 Carver 390
All I've got say about this is that I'm glad that Victoria, BC has "smart" effluent that recognizes international boundaries and won't cross over it. What I don't understand is why Type II MSD's aren't "good enough" to discharge treated sewage. Is there any level, other than zero, coliform count that is acceptable?
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:44 PM   #7

City: Mississippi
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Why should they? Their emissions have been part of the ecosystem for millions of years. As has their food.
Just having a little fun. And I just renewed my Sierra Club membership - member since 1973
FoxtrotCharlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:56 PM   #8
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
As I read it, it sounds like I may have to disable/lock both the valve going from the holding tank to the macerator as well as the valve that is at the thruhull discharge?

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:14 PM   #9
Guru

What I don't understand is why Type II MSD's aren't "good enough" to discharge treated sewage.

You can blame that on the environmental zealots...the mere mention of the word feces mobilizes 'em--and the politicians in left-leaning districts.

(Btw...you'd only need a Type II if you boat is 66'+...boats under that size can use a Type I)

Is there any level, other than zero, coliform count that is acceptable?

Not to them. In the mid-'90s US Representive Jim Saxton (R-NJ, now retired) tried for 5 consecutive years to get a bill through Congress that reduced the allowable bacteria count from their current standard of of 1,000/100 ml for Type I and 200/100 ml for Type II to a maximum of 10/100 ml for both types, and allow any vessel equipped with a device which meets that standard to use it even in NDZ water. The opposition from the enviro-zealot lobbies was so intense that none of his bills--which he kept revising to appease them--ever even made it out of committee. After 5 attempts, he gave up.

I've always considered it to be the ultimate irony that the very DAY that RI's statewide NDZ legislation went into effect, a massive sewage treatment plant spill in Providence closed all the beaches and shellfish beds in large portion of Narraganset Bay for a week.

I've been kinda hoping that when all the dust around the Trump administration finally settles, that all the ridiculous ND regulations will join the other regs on the chopping block!

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself."
--Albert Einstein
Old 04-11-2018, 02:23 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
As I read it, it sounds like I may have to disable/lock both the valve going from the holding tank to the macerator as well as the valve that is at the thruhull discharge?
The seacock would be enough. However, if you run into a water cop with an advanced case of Barney Fife Syndrome, you might have a problem if you don't have any way to make it impossible for someone to "accidentally" start the macerator pump. It would likely be local one...99.9% of coasties are satisfied with obvious INTENT to comply with the law.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
Old 04-11-2018, 03:10 PM   #11
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
This is a load of CRAP!!! It would appear the State of Washington did NOT listen to its citizens and King County has another victory!

So is the State going to hold Seattle, Tacoma, Olympia and other cities along Puget Sound be held to the same standard? Is King County exempt?

I hope there is a law suit on this.

Meanwhile I will cross the boarder, pull the lever and let my essence float down to Washington........
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:22 PM   #12
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
We knew it was coming. Fortunately, the change only effects a relatively small number of recreational boats in Puget Sound. Unfortunately, it is a big hit to those boat owners. They invested a fair amount of money for a treatment system, but now they canít use it in WA waters. For some of them it will be expensive to modify the boat to comply with the NDZ.

Donít get me wrong, I think it is a really BAD idea. However, it will actually prove to be a boon for most of the boat owners on Puget Sound. Since the NDZ was coming, the state has increased the funding for development of pumpouts. Now they even fund a mobile pump-out service that will pump out your tank at your slip. Iíve not used it yet as I like to make sure my holding tank is rinsed well when pumped out.

So, the NDZ wonít help Puget Sound water quality a bit. It also wonít hurt most boaters at all. It has made pumpout facilities more available.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:38 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
We knew it was coming. Fortunately, the change only effects a relatively small number of recreational boats in Puget Sound. Unfortunately, it is a big hit to those boat owners. They invested a fair amount of money for a treatment system, but now they can’t use it in WA waters. For some of them it will be expensive to modify the boat to comply with the NDZ...
You're right Dave. From a recreational boater's stand point, the guys with the Elctrosan type systems are the ones that are stuck. All the other recreational boaters there's no change.

We had a 27' 1966 Chris Craft Commander, hull number 16 that we fully restored and sold. When we bought it, it had no approved MSD. We tried to figure out a holding tank system. We worked with Modutech Marine in Tacoma and at the end of the day, an Elctrosan system went in. There was really no place for a holding tank of any size period. The current owners are the ones I feel sorry for.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:43 PM   #14
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
So I guess the key switch that controls my overboard pump is not sufficient to comply, even though it prevents discharge by way of a keyed lock, just like a lock on a thruhul valve?
Old 04-11-2018, 03:47 PM   #15
Guru

Fortunately, the change only effects a relatively small number of recreational boats in Puget Sound. Unfortunately, it is a big hit to those boat owners. They invested a fair amount of money for a treatment system, but now they can’t use it in WA waters. For some of them it will be expensive to modify the boat to comply with the NDZ.

Fortunately it's ONLY the Sound, Lake Union and Lake Washington that are now an NDZ, not all WA waters. Treatment devices are still legal in Strait and the San Juans. However, the total number of boats nationwide that have 'em has never exceeded 5% of boats with toilets.

Btw...just discovered that WA hasn't even been added to the EPA list of NDZs yet.

Peggie
Old 04-11-2018, 03:50 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
So I guess the key switch that controls my overboard pump is not sufficient to comply, even though it prevents discharge by way of a keyed lock, just like a lock on a thruhul valve?
That most likely would be acceptable to any water cop who doesn't have BFS (Barnie Fife Syndrome), but a cable tie on your sea cock handle too would prob'ly be a good idea.

Peggie
Old 04-11-2018, 04:20 PM   #17
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
..Fortunately it's ONLY the Sound, Lake Union and Lake Washington that are now an NDZ, not all WA waters. Treatment devices are still legal in Strait and the San Juans...
Iím not so sure itís just Puget Sound. It looks like the San Juanís are included as per the DOEís web site quoted earlier.

https://ecology.wa.gov/Water-Shoreli...one#recreation
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:04 PM   #18
Guru

The drawing makes look like it goes all the way to the border, but the description only makes everything east of the New Dungeness Light and the east end of the Strait an NDZ, no mention of any waters north of it...and the San Juans are just barely north of the Strait.

Plus, all the publicity about both attempts to make it happen never mentioned anything but the Sound and the two lakes. We'll need see what shows up in the EPA NDZ list.

(Drawing was prob'ly created by one of the Soundkeepers thugs...they were the driving force behind the whole thing.)
Old 04-11-2018, 05:50 PM   #19

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: 2018 Hampton Endurance 658
Further bad news... all holding tanks will require a wifi connection and dedicated facebook account for data collection. I would provide the link but I know Nobridge Analytica has already penetrated this site. :>0
Old 04-11-2018, 07:00 PM   #20
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
This is really no news. As stated earlier recreational boats have been using holding tanks and pump outs for years. There are no water cops up here. The coast guard/home land security is the only authority that can board your boat and they have no budget for state law enforcement.

tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote