Nitrogen for air in dinghy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought w lighter than air filling we'd see some flying dinghy's.

It could be useful if your davit system for your tender was at maximum capacity: a helium fill would lighten it up a bit and allow you to hoist it aboard without heeling. You would want to avoid overfilling to prevent the balloon effect and always have the tenders painter tied off, just in case.

Last edited:
I was trying to guess the FAA motive here as eliminating an internal tire fire, which of course would cause it to blow.

The problem is heat soak from the brakes after an RTO (rejected takeoff) causing a tire to overheat and explode. This can also happen just after takeoff if there is a dragging brake that has heated up an individual wheel assembly. The nitrogen fill will expand less and that tire is less likely to explode taking out other systems that pass through or near the wheel well.

The energy absorbed by the brakes when stopping an airliner at maximum gross weight from a speed a few mph short of flight is immense. During the RTO tests of the C-17, the brakes would glow white hot and even with gasoline fans to cool the wheels we still had blowouts during the final maximum weight tests.

Last edited:
Close. I just read a fairly thorough Boeing report on tire explosions over the years. Those NOT caused by careless overfilling with 3000psi bottles were caused by air in a very hot tire. But not by direct expansion, but by oxygen igniting volatile rubber gases due to over temp. So, yes, all n2 removes that issue but tire still expands like an air tire up to the point where an internal fire starts. Thus the FAA rule.

I do know for certain that the new Guiness Nitro IPA with the little plastic ball and a nitrogen release for a creamy head with micro bubbles is now my favorite summer beer.

I do know for certain that the new Guiness Nitro IPA with the little plastic ball and a nitrogen release for a creamy head with micro bubbles is now my favorite summer beer.

By far the best use of nitrogen is in tapping a keg of a nice dark stout. It gives that distinctive head with those tiny bubbles. I'm pretty impressed that Guiness has found a way of duplicating that in a can.

Guinness! Did somebody say guinness?

Not totally into the thread...I love new ideas but also know when some things are simpler the way being done and no long term benefits....

This from a pilot and top notch engineer.....

"......more myths ...

http://www.nitrogentiremachine.com/federal_aviation_administration.htm

The line that mentions pressure rise (or more accurately - no pressure rise) means that autoignition does not take place inside the tire and does not raise the internal temperature further and thus increase the internal pressure. Since the lack of oxygen (or more accurately again, less than 5 percent oxygen) does not permit combustion there is no additional source of heat. It does not mean that the nitrogen fill does not increase pressure due to temperature, it means exactly the opposite. Nitrogen obeys the gas laws just like every other gas. "

The only use I can think of for nitrogen in our wheel house is if you have a keel or a cored deck that is wet. Running nitrogen through it will wix out the moisture. Case in point: Wet telephone cable (usually under a street, buried or no more ducts) put a liquid nitrogen tank on one side of the street and tube it into the cable, a metered valve on the other. Then adjust the regulator and metering valve and let it blow through the cable for a few days-weeks. Will dry it out nicely. This will work on cored decks, hulls or keels.

After years of wondering, now I know why the phone company occasionally attaches a nitrogen bottle to the lines in our neighborhood!

Interestingly, industrial bottled nitrogen is ~ 25% cheaper than bottled air. Both are in the 3ppm/-90 deg dewpoint water content range. ie: both are VERY dry.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom