Old 12-22-2010, 05:02 PM   #21
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
RE: Night vision

The hazards of deadheads in our waters, Georgia Strait, Howe Sound, and westwards through Malaspina is lower than in years past. However, it is still real.

Logging is down and there are fewer flat log tows, but they are still present. Even though the barges reduce the litter dribbled over miles from flat tows, when the barges dump there is a huge amount of litter that escapes. I get to watch these things in Howe Sound. That stuff could spoil your day and a few weeks more if you don't see the it. The trash ranges from small twigs and bark bits or blocks of wood, to logs that, although not of interest to the mills, are big enough to be a serious hazard.

As Koliver pointed out the rubbish is more cyclical now than in years past, depending on rainfall, tides, and storms but not to be ignored.

We used to run at night for the last half hour to hour to get to our weekend haunt, in the fall or we would need to delay 'till the next day. But it was always done with some trepidation and some finger crossing. Luckily we never damaged the boat, at least not this one.

C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:33 PM   #22
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Designer George Buehler said about the Coot "Her heavy steel hull can take mishaps with rocks or deadheads with ease which makes cruising at night or fog far less stressful than with a glass boat."

I'm not so sure the stress would be minimal.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:42 PM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

Quote:
markpierce wrote:
I'm not so sure the stress would be minimal.
The hull could be made of cast steel but the running gear is still at risk.

Back in the olden days when I worked on tugs running up the inside from Seattle to Southeast Alaska we ran nonstop, never slowed down at night but always sat near the throttles for that moment when you heard and felt the CLUNK on the bow.

Rolling over a horizontal log wasn't so bad but skimming a deadhead so that it surfaced again under the prop was a real heart stopper ... talk about waiting for the other shoe to drop.

That was when log spills were much more common and deadheads were a part of normal life. All the fuel stops handed out little flags on stiff wire and asked people to mark deadheads so they were more visible in daylight.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:38 PM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: -
Night vision

Quote:
RickB wrote:

*All the fuel stops handed out little flags on stiff wire and asked people to mark deadheads so they were more visible in daylight.
We used to hear this on the VHF in the later '80 when we were fishing with our 17' Arima.* We'd often pick up Canadian boaters talking about having flagged a deadhead at such-and-such a location.* Haven't heard this sort of call in years now, so I assume the practice has ended.

We see plenty of deadheads when we're out in the Strait of Georgia and in some areas of Desolation Sound, and we see a lot of them up the north end of Vancouver Island when we're halibut fishing in Blackfish Sound, Knight Inlet, etc.* They still tow long*log*booms out of*Beaver Cove and down Johnstone Strait, and*"escaped"*logs are not uncomon in those waters.*But we've never seen any that were flagged so I assume they don't do it any more up north, either.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 23rd of December 2010 04:44:55 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:27 PM   #25
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

I still have some flags. I will use them too, should the opportunity arise. Yes, I have seen flags in use in recent years, but the frequency af encounters with deadheads has dropped dramatically, along with the frequency of seeing flat booms, the kind without Davis rafts in them.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:31 PM   #26
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

Quote:
RickB wrote:
All the fuel stops handed out little flags on stiff wire and asked people to mark deadheads so they were more visible in daylight.
What an awesome idea, too bad it fell by the wayside.* We just spent a few days camped on the beach at Neah Bay Washington, and the number of huge logs, full trees, and wood in general was phenomenal.* I guess it keeps guys like Ron at Kruger propeller repair in new Mercedes Benz'es though.* ............Arctic Traveller
Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:51 PM   #27
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'

I haven't seen those flags in years. CKWX I think, a local radio station, used to hand them out and make them available to many of the local marinas and fuel stops. Yes it's too bad.
I've tried making a few but it hasn't worked out, yet.

I would still mark them if the flags were around. One had to be careful though as some of those treacherous rotters would bob and swing and as you approached close enough to set the flag, they would take aim at your boat and try bob up under the boat. The last few I set were from the dingbat.

By the look of my marina there are lots of potential deadheads. Even if I wanted to take the boat out today I wooood not. Many not too small logs filling the fairways along with lots of other stuff. I doubt I could push them aside as they are long and numerous enough to bridge the fairway.

C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote