Nice old boats - Pequod 34

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff F

Guru
Vessel Name
Escapade
Vessel Make
50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
I wintered at a tiny little port on the north shore of Lake Erie this winter. This boat is the biggest here and is for sale - US$10 would buy it.

It appears to be in very good shape, has had a fresh water life and caring owners. Used mostly as a summer home but fully operational.

I found myself thinking that there might be a case for putting two small diesels - say 80 HP - and turning this into a loop boat? Or is it just headed into local oblivion? The right DIY owner could have a super solid reliable boat for < 40k.

Forgot to attach pics

ForumRunner_20170515_185926.jpg

ForumRunner_20170515_185843.jpg

ForumRunner_20170515_185226.jpg

ForumRunner_20170515_185218.jpg

Is that $10.00 or $10K? I guess it would work if you had a source of a decent pair of Lehman or Perkins 4 cylinder running take-outs and you did most of the work yourself. My thinking is you better love the boat to put in the money.

Last edited:
Is that $10.00 or $10K? I guess it would work if you had a source of a decent pair of Lehman or Perkins 4 cylinder running take-outs and you did most of the work yourself. My thinking is you better love the boat to put in the money.

Half the boats here aren't worth $10 IMO. They're beyond redemption. But this boat might just be a modern classic of sorts to the right person. A super solid distinctive boat that's never had leaky decks. A boat that could give another 45 years of good service.

"Used mostly as a summer home but fully operational"

If the engine operates what is the problem?

Buy it , fuel it and go!

I agree w FF,
Why no mention of a broken engine, a weak engine that smokes terribly or one that runs on 5 cylinders?
Jeff me thinks you've left out something important.

Gas motors original 327. No issues but high fuel usage.

$10k boat + $50k engines = $25k boat(estimated).

Net Loss = $35k

How long do you have to run a boat to recoup $35k in fuel savings ??

"Gas motors original 327. No issues but high fuel usage."

For a Looper this would be moot.

At the CN speed limit of 10 klicks in much of the loop, the fuel bill will be minor , esp as gas is cheaper than diesel.

The boat would be a fantastic Looper as it looks like very little investment ( besides a 10% bigger fuel bill) , and should be EZ to sell when the ride is over.

Any extra fuel burn would easily be paid for by the cheaper repair bills , or just the cheaper PM of gas vs diesel.

The extra speed in the boring spots would be a bonus.

I wonder if the Moonies made it? Has a Master Marine look to it....

Attachments

• mastermarine.jpg
    mastermarine.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 111
  • pequod.jpg
    pequod.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 262
Funny seeing this.
I have owned this boat, going on the 2nd season now. It actually has a pair of 307s, 220hp.
She runs around 19mph on GPS
It's great on gas, solid as a rock and turns a lot of heads at the dock.

I wonder if the Moonies made it? Has a Master Marine look to it....

Very much doubt the Moonies made it.... May have copied hull shape but Master Marine made their boats only IIRC.... What ever happened to the Moonies? I ran boats in Gloucester, Mass in the Moonie hey day... Those were very well built boats. I'd love to find one now at a bargain price..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom