Old 10-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #21
Veteran Member
City: Brentwood Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Golden Dawn
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
RE: Nice northwest boats

I am a bit late on this thread but wanted to post my PNW two favorites from the 2011 summer.

The first is the William Garden designed steel trawler Nightfall as photographed in Blunden Harbour near the northern tip of Vancouver Is. Nightfall was built by Waterline Yachts in Sidney, BC, registered in Montana but based in La Connor, Washington. She was returning from a 4 month Alaska cruise when we saw her in August. Classic Garden lines.
The second is the tug*Union Jack, which I think may have been in a previous post. The Union Jack is steaming out of Bull Harbour to round Cape Scott and travel down the west coast of Vancouver Island. Before she hauled anchor, the owner was pushing around her stern with the tender and I asked him if he needed some help. Nope he says, I just wanted to get her pointed out because she has a direct drive Atlas diesel and it is a chore to get her turned around in this harbour. The Atlas uses compressed air to start the engine in forward or in reverse and he only gets so many starts while the compressor refills the air tank -*so cut and filling can be a chore in a small harbour.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011_broughtonscruise_jrh_0270.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	7766   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011_broughtonscruise_jrh_0276.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	7767   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011_broughtonscruise_jrh_0149a.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	7768  

GoldenDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:54 AM   #22
City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

John H,

Very excellent NW marine photography and there's no too late. Grab a 3 year old thread if your post is better w the stuff already discussed, or if it's good background material, or if you wish to refer to it. Too often threads die prematurely. And how can one say there's nothing more to say? And now that we've talked a lot about the topics that are most interesting or important to us bringing up old threads could produce more interesting and important conversation than new threads. Just say'in.

Having spent considerable time in LaConner I'm familiar w Nightfall. Nice boat. Haven't seen her up here though. When anchoring Union Jack they must just stop, kinda guessing exactly where the'll wind up after they dunk the engine and drop the ground tackle. Lots of fishing boats don't set their anchors either unless they know it's going to blow. Thanks again for the pictures and I'm ready for more.

Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #23
City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001

I agree with Eric on all counts but would especially like to compliment your photos John - you have nicely captured a west coast mood here with the mist and almost rain. And beautiful boats too of course.

Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote