Next Nodestination

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nodestination

Vessel Name
No Destination
Vessel Make
1972 GulfStar Trawler 36
Or should I change the name since the original burn up and sunk?. I am planning to get 38 feet Bayliner 1986 with twin 130hp Chrysler engines. Just wonder of how much fuel they are going to burn. I am a slow driver with max 6knots. Any idea?. I know thta Byliner have "bad name", but they supposed to increase quality in 32 and above. I will go this Saturday to look at.

Don't be afraid of the Bayliners. They can give you great value.

The 38's I've been aboard "felt" much larger. Am sure it's psychological but they seem to utilize the available space as well as if not better than anything else out there. Fuel burn should not be much if any worse than your last diesel boat if you remain a 6 knot driver. Back it down to 5 and it'll likely be the same.

My gasser got horrible mileage but that's what happens above 20 knots :)

Best of luck to you recovering from your recent misfortune my friend. How about Any Destination for the new home?

I may name No Destination, but will look for a marina that require for every boat to have at least basic insurance. I will get full this time and stay away from gas boats. The boat that I am looking at is on west coast of Florida. I am on east ( green cove springs). It would be 10 days trip with friends. Is about time for me to go on a trip. Last 3 years I spend in marina working on a boats.

The biggest challenge you'll have with the Bayliner 38 is parts availability for the Mitsu or Nissan engines. Otherwise, they are robust vessels that offer excellent value and room.

If possible, look for the Hino engines.

Or should I change the name since the original burn up and sunk?. I am planning to get 38 feet Bayliner 1986 with twin 130hp Chrysler engines. Just wonder of how much fuel they are going to burn. I am a slow driver with max 6knots. Any idea?. I know thta Byliner have "bad name", but they supposed to increase quality in 32 and above. I will go this Saturday to look at.

Are those engines the Japanese diesels sold under the Chrysler name?

I hope not. Not too crazy about Japan engines. Some comes with Volvo turbo. Do not like turbo - no torque power at low rpm. I am thinking of Morgan 36 sailboat too. They are comfortable with 4 feet draft. Just take to "lighting stick" off and turn into power boat.

I wouldn't bet too quick to be critical of Japanese diesels- Hinos are The medium/heavy duty arm of Toyota and are very robust.

I am going to see tomorrow a 36 Gulfstar 1972. Read a lot of good about and some bad. What scare me the most is the cored hull. I was under the impression that in 1972 all boats were solid fiberglass. I do not know in the boat I am looking at have cored hull or solid fiberglass. How the surveyor will know without drilling a hole?.
Any comments?.

Back
Top Bottom