Next BOAT ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOY-SEA

Veteran Member
Listing my Regal Cruiser with marina broker
Considering purchase of a trawler , but which one ?
Brief History .
I have always owed some sort of boat
Recent years a 21 ft fishing boat kept home .
Since we are retired , Wife & I purchased a 2004 Regal Commodore
My thoughts keep a few years sell , this way we can get back into larger boat
Repairs are the norm but the Regal was non stop .
Now have new long block engines , along with other repairs almost a new boat .
Retirement we use boat weekly . Regal is a weekender ,
I cry at fuel dock . That one gallon a mile gets old fast . Boat used often but we stay close too shore too conserve fuel . I generally go around 10 knots many times on one engine too conserve fuel . Boat is designed too plane but I don't care about speed , just being on water
Beautiful boat but at this stage in our life. not practical and way too much work cleaning , flushing IO, covering so marina can haul out of salt water getting it prepped for next visit
Number of weeks voyages I decided makes sense too consider a boat with more room .
Load the dogs , wife & myself travel a few weeks at a clip . We live in central Fl.
Broker was saying at your age trawlers is perfect . Economical on fuel burn
Room too get too every part of the engine room .
Budget around 75 thousand .
Never on a trawler . and know little about them . Broker will be educating me
Made full circle , saying I am into fishing ( not really) we are into marina life, cruising , chatting with folks at marina , using our boat like a condo , Generally sleep aboard few nights of every week
Repairs are part of boating , expected , but reaching out too trawler owners too find out pit falls certain trawlers
I want Diesel engine . Different hulls ? single engine ? Best size ,
MFG , should I consider , mfg stay away from ? Hull issues , transom etc
Thanks for your input

Welcome. Keep in mind that "trawler" really isn't a thing. However, there are lots of boats of different styles that lend themselves to comfortably traveling at displacement speeds.

A diesel trawler will be way more efficient on fuel. I'm not so sure about less work or less cleaning though.

Welcome aboard!!

Your budget of $75K puts you right in the middle of the newer (well the 80s) Taiwan Trawlers (and China and Hong Kong) like Marine Traders, Albins, CHBs as well as the somewhat newer but smaller US built trawlers like the Camano, Nordic Tug 26 and the Mainship 350/390s.

Think hard about your requrements and note that bigger doesn't necessarily mean better. A Camano 31 or Nordic Tug 26 could meet your needs and are very well built.

The Mainship 350/390 might be the sweet spot in that price range. Big enough to have room for two couples and probably built better than the older T-Ts.

Lots of choices to consider.

David

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom