Newport International Boat Show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Guru
Well, it's that time of year again, another Newport boat show is happening.
This show seems smaller than past years, a trend that has been obvious for some 10-plus years now. This show is a combined sail/power show and sailboat manufacturers have really been hit hard so maybe this is what I am seeing.
We made it a point to see the American Tug, the Nordic Tugs, the Kadey Krogen trawlers and perhaps my favorite boat in the show, the Krogen Express 52. Wow, that boat is some kind of beautiful! I have decided that I prefer the older Nordic Tug 37/39 to the new 40 too. I am simply not fond of the NT 40.
I was surprised to see that there is almost no visibility to the rear from the pilothouse in the Kadey-Krogen boats too. I guess you learn to live with this but...wow!
There was a Minorca 34 that we didn't get aboard that looked nice.
As is becoming more often the case, the most interesting boats were to be found at the used boat brokerage held at Newport Shipyard. There are simply all kinds of boats to be found there and it is fun to look.
My favorite from the used boat show was a Hinckley/Alden custom 60' that is simply unbelievable. This 1997 sailboat has been in the Caribbean, the Mediterranean and has had lots of real cruising miles under her keel but she simply looks new. I have never seen anything like it!
Boat shows are fun!
Bruce

QUOTE]almost no visibility to the rear from the pilothouse in the Kadey-Krogen boats too. I guess you learn to live with this but...wow![/QUOTE]

yep, 1-3 cameras, they can be wide angle or infrared- better than my aged eyes.

or as the Italian in the movie Gumball Rally said, when he tore the rear view mirror out of the Ferrari, "whatsa behinda you is not important". Well it was a movie.

I am sure that cameras provide great information.
We have all adapted to backup cameras in autos.
Mirrors are great though and I still use mine.
It was simply interesting to see the differences in the various boats.
Bruce

Went there..... show was smaller although boat prices higher. New 38' anythings were posted at $500K+. That is what decent homes in my area sell for and a 40' anything priced out about the same as a home with a maid's quarter.

Ancient thread I know, but on the same topic -- I see the Newport Int Boat Show is back on for Sept 16-19, 2021. We usually stay at the America's Cup Inn just for kicks, but around those days it's either sold out or a billion dollars per night. Boy, some pent up demand for boat shows or what. Like burst-out-laughing expensive. Motel 6, $400. New Englanders coming out of lock-up and stampeding to any fun activities maybe. Rats, we really wanted to go. We always found the Newport show to be a tolerable combination of lots of boat-money to dazzle you but without quite the level of insufferable Kardashian-style ostentation like the Palm Beach show. In Newport my boys were at least allowed to walk onto many of the boats and the people were generally friendlier -- and less plastic surgery all around. (Sorry, Palm Beach was a bad experience -- I caught one boat salesman tipping over the deck shoe I had taken off and left on the floormat, I assume so he could check the label and tell whether it was Walmart or Mephisto made of baby goat leather hand-sewn by artisans in Portugal.)

And Trawlerfest Newport is in August.

Which is generally the better show?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom