RE: Newer member/first post

How great is that! *and already in Florida! *Donna

straycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:53 AM   #22
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

So did y'all look at the one they are asking $22k for??? I know it is rough on the outside but a paint job is relatively cheap compared to engines and generators....especially since they claim that boat had new hull paint....just paint the topsides. Anyway, just curious as that boat is listed very cheap. And Sortie, if that is the boat that failed the survey badly, what were the problems?

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:00 AM   #23

City: Merritt Island,Fl
Vessel Name: Sue Marie
Vessel Model: Prarie 29

Multiple issues. Rear and fwd seals had leaks. Transmisson seal leaked.Head not hooked up to holding tank. Fuel tank was a plastic tank, 1"1/2 hose reduced from 2" fill hose. Several serious wiring issues, ac unit frozen, gen set not plumed to fuel tanks and improperly wired. Delamation in several spots on dec near rails. Indications of hull stress(hurricane) damage.

My offerwas for 7$ thousand less then asking, way to many issues. My survey was the second that failed. Too much time and money needed to get her ready. Someone who has a year to get things done can get a great boat, I just didn't have the time.

John
Sortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:16 AM   #24

City: Stuart Fl
Vessel Name: StrayCat
Vessel Model: Prairie 29 Hull #51

We had a survey on that boat and didn't complete it because of too many issue to deal with. *It was advertised as having two AC's. *One was a rusted hulk and the second was one installed in the rear port window. *The broker had to come with a spare fuel can to run the generator and it was too loud ! *What work was done was incomplete or done poorly! *I did not feel we could trust what had been completed.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:52 PM   #25

We did not complete our survey either. We were about half way through a growing and extensive list of issues when I decided to cancel the remainder of the survey. That saved me some money on the survey plus the haul out. Donna is correct, in addition to the issues that needed attention you had a list of items that supposedly been repaired but were very poorly done.

The painting of the upper part of the vessel, were minor compared to the other issues. Fiberglass repair work on the decks was scary to look at, made you wonder was under the paint job on the hull.

Someone who has the skills and the time could at the end of a year have a great boat. I have the skills but lack the motivation to spend that much time restoring the boat. You really do have to restore it, top to bottom.

John
Old 08-20-2010, 03:29 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Yikes...thanks for the replies!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #27

If you had the time and the money and got the boat for free .... you might break even!
Old 08-23-2010, 12:41 PM   #28
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

What's the hull look like below the WL on the Praire 29?

Eric Henning
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:59 PM   #29

Don't know if you mean in general, but here are photos of the bottom of our boat!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1811816_14.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	2508   Click image for larger version

Name:	1811816_13.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	2509  
Old 08-23-2010, 06:55 PM   #30
Guru

Straycat,The keel and rudder are a lot like my Willard but the flat strait run aft is way different. The stability from a flatish bottom is golden but the efficiency of a full displacement stern is good too. My Willy (Willard) is an 8 ton boat that only requires about 18hp to cruise 6 knots but if I want to go faster (and I'd live to) no amount of power would deliver. You must have considerable power to require a 4 blade wheel. That big rudder should work great in following seas and while maneuvering in close quarters.
Here is the Willy before any bottom work was done. Looks like new now.

Eric Henning
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sth71238.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	2510  
Old 08-23-2010, 07:55 PM   #31
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34

Straycat... no idea how the survey went but from the pics it looks like a keeper
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:49 AM   #32

Survey went very well, and we are close to ecstatic about our new home/boat. *We are looking forward to the Great Loop next year. *I want to thank all of you for the helpful observations and great welcome here. *It's a great site, and the other comment segments are entertaining. *Anchoring and politics; whocoodaknown! *Rick Cass, SloPoke
Old 09-12-2010, 02:05 PM   #33

Newer member/first post

The survey was a success and the sale has been finalised. We are now the owners of a Prairie 29, hull number 8, her present name is Miss Money,new name not yet agreed upon. Given the issues of concern, no use in five years and very limited before that, we have decided to have her shipped across the state from Tampa to merritt Island. It is cheaper, and involves less time, not to mention concerns re: systems left unused for so long. Good news is she is a one owner. The PO have had a wonderful time with the boat, including trip to Puerto Rico, for a three year job transfer and a three day stay in Cuba. Very nice people, age and health have forced their hand. They were emotional when we departed their home.

There were no major concerns in the survey, just areas of general maintance and updateing that need attention. The perkins 4-108 runs great and has been well cared for. The generator is a Koller 4.8 with a 100hrs use. Ac is mermaid reverse cycle Marine Ac,new a few years back.

We plan to spend a few months cleaning, upgradeing and* preparing her for a new life on ICW. Any suggestions will always be appreciated.

John

-- Edited by Sortie on Sunday 12th of September 2010 02:06:09 PM
Old 09-12-2010, 05:05 PM   #34
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Congrats! I know you'll love her! One thing I did when I got my boat (single engine) was to replace everything rubber on the engine. Hoses, belts, high pressure oil lines, etc. That way you know they're all in good shape, you know how to do it, you know you have the correct tools, and if the old ones were in at least fair shape, you now have spares.

Don't make too many major upgrades or changes for awhile, until you understand what you have vs. what you need and want.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:05 PM   #35

Keith, That is number one thing on the list, and a strong recomendation from the surveyor.

There are not any changes planned,except electronics upgrades. The rest is updateing, bunk cushions, dinnette and sette cushions all orginial, some interior painting and replace the carpet with hardwood.

Thanks,

John
Old 09-12-2010, 07:05 PM   #36
Guru

Keith,

"One thing I did when I got my boat (single engine)"

What on earth does "single engine " have to do w the price of wheat.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:10 PM   #37
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

His was as well. People with single engine boats tend to take much better care of them. People with twins usually go "oh, if one breaks down, I'll just get home on the other one".
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:27 PM   #38
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

Keith

"People with twins usually go "oh, if one breaks down, I'll just get home on the other one".

Not true at all. reliability of twins doesn't depend on having a spare engine, it depends on thorough maintenance. If one neglects an engine so that it will fail, there is a very good chance there isn't a spare, as it has been neglected just as much.

I have been trying to think of a generalized group who would fit your statement, but I can't, cause I am sure they don't exist. Not even the little boat group. Not even sailors, whos engines could be said to be redundant.

Keith
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:47 PM   #39
Guru

I remember when I was a gang glider pilot. Suddenly there was a new safety device available * *...the hand deploy parachute. I never did get one. And I never did need one but i'm sure at least most of the fliers that had them also had preflights that were something less than they were before the parachutes. I've always wondered if the parachutes had a positive or negative effect on safety. I go to some wild places and sometimes nasty weather that makes me think of my recent maintenance. I know I worry often enough to give a bit more effort to my engine maintenance * * *....my single engine.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:05 PM   #40
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Thats a good one Keith. It has been awhile since the debate of 1 vs 2 surfaced. I enjoyed*spending time with*a new Krogen 58 owner this summer and hearing his rationale of* 1 vs 2 engines. He went with 2 of course because he is very smart and a good Catholic too!! As you know, it is Krogen's flagship model.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote