Old 04-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #41

City: Toronto & Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Island Eagle
Vessel Model: DeFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMoose View Post
If the boat has been on the market for any length of time I'd start at 70
Yep, totally agree. The boat market is illiquid, a boat is worth exactly what someone will pay.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
IslandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:47 AM   #42
FF
Guru

Here in Florida we had a broker pass by and his claim was the TOP of the market has returned and is hot!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #43

City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Here in Florida we had a broker pass by and his claim was the TOP of the market has returned and is hot!
The sad thing is that there are probably a few folks who actually believe him.
SeaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #44

City: ---
Vessel Name: ---
Quote:
The sad thing is that there are probably a few folks who actually believe him.
"The wish is father to the thought"
123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #45
Veteran Member

City: Ohio
Vessel Name: Kispiox
Vessel Model: mercury 430 Ocean Runner
Quote:
If the boat has been on the market for any length of time I'd start at 70
Thanks for the tip bro.
trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsyiruncle View Post
This one is not all that far away - why not go aboard for comparison ?
Used 1987 Bestway 40 Labelle Trawler, Commerce Twp., Mi - 48382 - BoatTrader.com

Thanks. I will definitely look at atleast 10 boats before I start considering an offer. Thanks for the link. Will check it out.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
We looked at two. Bought the second one and haven't looked back. We did look at tons online and this is our fifth boat so we knew what we wanted. . Happy hunting.
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #48
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
We looked at a lot of boats but when I saw this one it talked to me. It was priced right so made a full price offer. No regrets.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsyiruncle View Post
This one is not all that far away - why not go aboard for comparison ?
Used 1987 Bestway 40 Labelle Trawler, Commerce Twp., Mi - 48382 - BoatTrader.com

LOL. She just looked at this boat and said We were buying it if the Girls on the front came with it.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #50
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
The boat we bought last fall had been for sale for three years. Marina staff told us a guy showed up a couple weeks ago and let out a few choice words when he saw the FOR SALE sign gone. Apparently he planned to let the owners sweat it out for a forth winter without selling it, then sweep in for the kill. Sucks to be him

Aim to be like Craig...no regrets.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #51
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Bottom feeders!!!!!!!!!! We had a guy last month offer 750 on a home we had for sale. We basically told him to take a hike. He called back in a couple of weeks, and said he wanted to talk some more. We said we have a contract on the unit. He said what if I bring my offer up to 950, We said that is exactly what the contract amount is.

Sometimes when you snooze you lose.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Are there any books I should be reading to educate myself on some of the things I would need to know to operate a boat in the 30-40 range. Also, what kind of safe boating, or navigational classes would You folks advise Me to invest in.

Thanks.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #53

City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekker View Post
Are there any books I should be reading to educate myself on some of the things I would need to know to operate a boat in the 30-40 range. Also, what kind of safe boating, or navigational classes would You folks advise Me to invest in.

Thanks.
Your local Coast Guard Auxiliary gives a good basic course that everyone should take - in some states it's required. I read a lot of boating books in the beginning, they taught me a lot but I learned the most simply talking to other boaters. We're a friendly bunch, for the most part.

Most important skill in my opinion? Being able to navigate using Dead Reckoning, and most important staying in practice. Even when I go places I have been a dozen times, I still keep a DR log and determine my position without electronic help - I check my skills against the chart plotter. There's nothing worse than being lost on the water, and electronics do break.

Next, learn the boat well enough that if something does break, you might be able to fix it.
SeaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #54
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Chapman's Piloting and Seamanship is a very good well rounded and up to date book. There are others. Can be bought at West Marine and many boating or book stores.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #55
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Are there any books I should be reading to educate myself on some of the things I would need to know to operate a boat in the 30-40 range. .
There are a zillion books. While I don't personally have much use for it a good place for a total newbie to start might be Chapmans. A lot of really basic stuff in there which, if one is totally unfamiliar with the boating world, can be useful. But if you've had any boating experience at all, I think Chapmans immediately takes on a "See Spot Run" aspect and is far too basic and generic to be of any real value anymore. Like a lot of "everything in it" research books, Chapmans has a habit of telling you everything except what you actually want to know.

There a lot of books on navigation. Nigel Calder's "How to Read a Nautical Chart" is a good one to start with.

"The Complete Book of Anchoring and Mooring" by Earl Hinz is the best book out there on this particular subject.

"The Radar Book" by Kevin Monohan is a good book on the art of using and interpreting a radar system.

There are a number of books on GPS navigation. We don't have any since we already knew how to do it when we got the GB but others may suggest some for you.

Nigel Calder's "Marine Diesel Maintenance, Troublshooting, and Repair" is an excellent book on diesels and a good one to give you a basic understanding of these kinds of powerplants.

And there may be good books about the area(s) you plan to boat in. For example there are two excellent cruising guides for this area (and a lot of not-so-excellent ones) and these can be great sources of information about what you will encounter when you start boating as well as whet your appetite for places you would like to see and things you'd like to do.

And don't overlook books about the history of the area(s) you plan to boat in. Up here, the BC coast, aka "BC raincoast," has fascinated me ever since I first saw it from the deck of a ship in 1977 going down the Inside Passage. The region has a fascinating and well-documented history, and reading about it simply makes us that much more eager to go out and explore it by boat. For example reading a great book about the Union Steamship Company which served the raincoast communities from the late 1800s into the mid-1900s has given us the dream of someday retracing every one of their lower BC and Inside Passage routes. Who knows if we'll ever do it but it's a cool goal to have. Things like this have a way of keeping one's enthusiasm for boating at its maximum for a long, long time.

As to classes, my wife and I took the USCG Auxilliary boating class when we got our first boat back in 1987. Excellent, multi-week class with guest speakers from NOAA, the University of Washington Schoool of Medicine, and the USCG on weather, hypothermia, navigation, and other topics. I have been told--- but have not had the direct experience to confirm or deny this--- that the USCG Aux class is considerably superior to the Power Squadron class, but this may vary greatly from region to region.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #56
Scraping Paint

And speaking of Trekker, if you (Trekker) happen to end up with a boat with a bunch of exterior teak trim on it an excellent book on the art of maintaining it is "Brightwork: The Art of Finishing Wood" by Rebecca Wittman. I believe it is out of print and the prices being charged by used bookstores can be pretty staggering for some mysterious reason. But if you search around you might be able to get it for something approaching its original cover price, which I recall from our copy was some $25 or $30 or thereabouts.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #57
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:

Thanks.
Lots of great reading material suggestions here;

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ooks-7129.html
Old 04-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #58

City: newfoundland
Vessel Name: E.E.S.
Vessel Model: 38' Northumberland
Thanks Marin,
I just ordered 4 books from Amazon, didn't find the "radar" author you suggested but found something as good I think, "Adlard Coles Book Of Radar".

That will give me plenty of material to study while I'm looking for a boat.

Cheers
Robbie
robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #59
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie View Post
Thanks Marin,
I just ordered 4 books from Amazon, didn't find the "radar" author you suggested....
That's probably because I led you astray with the spelling. The author is Kevin Monahan, not Monohan as I first posted. Sorry about that. I just looked and his book is listed on Amazon.

Let us know what you think of Cole's book on radar. I have not heard of that one before.

Enjoy your reading and your boat search.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:55 PM   #60

City: newfoundland
Vessel Name: E.E.S.
Vessel Model: 38' Northumberland
No Problem, I'll let you know once I've had a browse.
robbie is offline   Reply With Quote