Old 03-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Ohio
Vessel Name: Kispiox
Vessel Model: mercury 430 Ocean Runner
I see a lot of talk on here about Generators, Inverters and the like. Can You Guys bring Me up to speed on the electrical power supply, how it works and what it entails. I assume You all have cable, internet, etc on your boats? Also do most have sat phones for when they leave cell phone range.

Thank You.

trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -
We have a 7.5 kw generator (way more than the boat needs but that's what they put in them in the 70s), and a smart ( three stage) charger/inverter unit. The inverter is 2,500 watts, again more than we need but we wanted its two echo chargers. The AC needs of the boat can be supplied by groundpower, the generator, or the inverter. However the inverter does not supply enough power to run the hot water heater. So we use it (rarely) to run the microwave, charge phone and computer batteries, etc.

We have no TV or internet capabilities built into the boat. Our iPads connect to the Internet, e-mail, etc. via AT&T 3G/4G. Mobile phone coverage is good most of the places we boat. When the day comes we can take several months to make the run up to SE Alaska and back we'll probably install an Inmarsat TracVision unit for phone and internet capability.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #23
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
You need either mechanical skills or lots of money to pay others to do the needed work.
I'm in the second camp. I drive the boat but am not a mechanic, electrician, carpenter, etcetera although I can/do change fluids and filters. Knew that going into boating. The same with the house and the automobile.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:28 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Good stuff guys. Thanks for all the info.

I am a long way from needing a surveyor, but what all do they do when it comes to surveying a boat?

And what kind of money does it take to get a good survey on a boat?
Old 03-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
We have a 7.5 kw generator (way more than the boat needs but that's what they put in them in the 70s), and a smart ( three stage) charger/inverter unit. The inverter is 2,500 watts, again more than we need but we wanted its two echo chargers. The AC needs of the boat can be supplied by groundpower, the generator, or the inverter. However the inverter does not supply enough power to run the hot water heater. So we use it (rarely) to run the microwave, charge phone and computer batteries, etc.

We have no TV or internet capabilities built into the boat. Our iPads connect to the Internet, e-mail, etc. via AT&T 3G/4G. Mobile phone coverage is good most of the places we boat. When the day comes we can take several months to make the run up to SE Alaska and back we'll probably install an Inmarsat TracVision unit for phone and internet capability.

Wow, just checked out the Inmarsat Tracvision. A little expensive!
Old 03-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #26
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekker View Post

I am a long way from needing a surveyor, but what all do they do when it comes to surveying a boat?

I paid $425 for a recent survey on my Owens. Impartial set of eyes scrutinizing the minute and often overlooked details. My surveyor found no deal breaker defects, he did however give a list of recommendations that has been valuable. It is also required for insurance anyway so pay for it pre-purchase as you need one anyway unless self insured. There are no marinas in my area that allow self insured that I'm aware of.

Prices vary and it pays to shop around. I was quoted $12 - $16 per foot.

Sent by Craig from my iPhone using Trawler

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #27

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: C:\[ESC]
Vessel Model: 2002 Bayliner 4788
Send a message via Skype™ to mattkab
Quote:

IMO, having gone through four surveys, a surveyor is simply an independent observer of the condition of the boat and it's systems.

They are a good sanity check that provides piece of mind, but more importantly moves the purchase process forward. The lenders and insurance companies want someone not involved in the purchase to take as impartial a view of the boat as possible, and provide a document detailing what they saw. Surveyors provide that role.

I really don't mean this to sound like I de-value surveyors, as I really don't. But I, personally, don't count on surveyors for a go/no-go decision on the purchase. In essence, I do my own survey before I get to the point in the purchase process of needing a survey, having rejected any number of boats for any number of reasons prior. The surveyor will always find a few things that I hadn't noticed, but they have yet to discover a substantial problem that I wasn't aware of.

My surveys have run around $300-$500, depending on whether I do a more detailed mechanical survey on the engines.
mattkab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:11 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilgewater View Post
Welcome aboard, trekker. Best advice we were ever given was don't buy the biggest boat you can afford, buy the smallest that will fit your needs. Both of you should make a list of your wants. Keep reading and asking questions of other boaters. Then re-evaluate your list from time to time. Things that at first seem to be a must will turn out to be unnecessary or impractical. Total honesty in this area can help prevent expensive mistakes. Our budget dictated a fixer-upper, but we have the time and ability to do the work ourselves. We're hoping to launch this summer in Sandusky. Most claims of number of berths on a boat are ridiculous. Our feeling is that the perfect boat (for us) should drink six, dine four, sleep two. Best of luck on your journey!

May I ask where You found your boat. In the Sandusky area?
Old 03-31-2013, 09:45 AM   #29

City: Winnipeg
Vessel Name: Brass Ring
Vessel Model: 38 bayliner
electronic questions

1) TV - you will get enough with rabbit ears (or a proper enclosed marine aerial) as long as you stay in the western basin. TV signals do not curve. 20 miles with rabbit ears is no problem but you get more if you mount them higher up. You might need a digital converter ($50.00) if you have an older TV but the picture is fabulously clear.
2) Cell - you will likely be in range of something no matter where you go but you have to be careful about roaming charges so I do not answer mine if I cross the border and even them I have to argue with the provider as sometimes the phone grabs US towers instead of Canadian (or reverse for you) Cell works most of the time but you must have a VHF for safety and you can get a cheap one for about $100.00
3) Data - forget internet unless you are at your marina or you want to spend money on data through your cell. What you can do is scavenge off unsecured WIFI spots. Get a better USB antenna and you are good for maybe a quarter mile or so
4) 110 volt - you need a generator because you will probably want to run air conditioning . Most trawlers will come with one. Reject any that don't as this could be a $5000 add on. A lot of boaters opt for the small quiet Honda as a backup as big generator noise does not make good neighbours.
5) Inverter - you probably need one to keep your frig and /or TV going when not using shore power or generator. 1500 to 2000 watts is good the smaller ones are a waste.
bobsyiruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:41 AM   #30

City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
Hello Trekker
I am just to the West of you at Anchor Pointe Marina. The boat market in our area couldn't be better for a buyer. The majority of the boats for sale are "go-fasts" with large gas guzzling engines (A 40' "Express Cruiser" consumes up to 40, 50 gallons of fuel per hour). If you're going to use the boat as a floating condo and take occasional trips these represent great value for the money.

The selection of trawlers for sale is very small but they are out there.

Next door to me at Mienke Marina East is a 34' Marine Trader that the couple bought, spent a lot of money on to do the Great Loop, and for reasons unknown to me never went. It's been on the hard about six years now under shrink wrap. It is on Yachtworld with a single tiny picture. I suspect they would entertain just about any offer.

Anchor Pointe has a good Marine Mechanic (Ask for Rich and tell him Alan told you to call you). Bob Jenson, who has a phenomenal woodworking shop near the Marina does fantastic work on boat systems. Anyone at the Marina can find Bob for you. These guys could help you get it going if the price is right.

You'll have a hard time finding a surveyor in our area that knows anything about trawlers. The one I hired absolutely sucked, and cost me $500 for nothing.

If you decided to look at it, I'd be happy to offer advice as I know these boats inside and out, having spent nine years restoring mine. Until June I can be found most Saturdays in Building #2 at Anchor Pointe, finishing the Fall/Spring projects I have going, after that I am at dock I-35.

Good Luck, perhaps we will meet at Kelley's, or Put in Bay, or Middle Bass :-)

Alan Robbins
SeaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:46 AM   #31
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Trekker--- Something you might want to consider before getting all wrapped around the axle on trying to decide what kind of boat, how big of a boat, blah, blah, blah ad infinitum, is charter one somewhere for a week or two. Particularly if you are unfamiliar with this kind of boating but have a good friend who is and who will split the charter with you.

While chartering isn't cheap, it's damn near free compared to the purchase price of even an older used cruiser and worse, the annual ownership costs of these kinds of boats that never stop as long as you own the boat.

Chartering gives you the opportunity to see if you like this kind of boating and this kind of boat with no risk to you and no obligation other than paying the charter fee.

On the advice of a good friend and long-time boater that's what we did when, inspired by countless trips flying a floatplane up and down the Inside Passage, my wife and I began thinking it might be fun and a whole new kind of adventure to explore the same area by boat.

Chartering convinced us that we liked being out on the water in this way and that a cruising boat was what we wanted. So we bought one and 14 years later here we are sitting on it in a beautiful tiny bay all by ourselves this weekend out in the San Juan Islands; we still enjoy the hell out of using it year round just as much today as we did the first year we had it.

Chartering in my opinion is the best way for a "newbie" to discover for him/her self if this kind of boating and boat is right for them.
I second Marin's suggestion about chartering with a BIG thumbs up. Worked for us perfectly.

And yes, you will be having work done to your boat forever, how much only depends on your pride of ownership level, seaworthiness and safety concerns. Believe it or not, based on what we ended up buying, we fully support the "Don't buy the biggest boat you can afford, buy the smallest boat YOU can be comfortable in" dictum from Skipper Bob. It is a very personal decision, as is the definition of "comfortable". Only by spending extended time on the water cruising in different boats will tell you this with certainty.

If you only really boat a total of a month or so every year, renting/chartering is by far the cheapest way to go. You can get a captained charter the first few times, and learn a lot, especially if you take care to hire someone who is a professional teacher of new boaters.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:18 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsyiruncle View Post
Trekker
If you are a bit of a gambler this one will probably go for 25 to 30 . It needs someone local to look at it for basics but if you have a flunkie to redo the teak and can put up with a single engine this is a huge amount of boat for the dollar. Shop around you will start to see more than I do - real buyers are a scarce and valuable commodity

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...url=&imc=pg-fs
With all due respect, the pictures on this boat tell a different story.

Good hull, engine barely broken in (if hour meter is correct) but the house and cabin top are full of rot and will probably need to be re-cored. Given the rot in the house, the balsa decks are no doubt soggy and need replacement also.

The tanks are probably rusted from deck leaks and needing replacement. Savable, but it needs a lot more than the exterior teak varnished....
Old 03-31-2013, 10:09 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMoose View Post
Hello Trekker
I am just to the West of you at Anchor Pointe Marina. The boat market in our area couldn't be better for a buyer. The majority of the boats for sale are "go-fasts" with large gas guzzling engines (A 40' "Express Cruiser" consumes up to 40, 50 gallons of fuel per hour). If you're going to use the boat as a floating condo and take occasional trips these represent great value for the money.

The selection of trawlers for sale is very small but they are out there.

Next door to me at Mienke Marina East is a 34' Marine Trader that the couple bought, spent a lot of money on to do the Great Loop, and for reasons unknown to me never went. It's been on the hard about six years now under shrink wrap. It is on Yachtworld with a single tiny picture. I suspect they would entertain just about any offer.

Anchor Pointe has a good Marine Mechanic (Ask for Rich and tell him Alan told you to call you). Bob Jenson, who has a phenomenal woodworking shop near the Marina does fantastic work on boat systems. Anyone at the Marina can find Bob for you. These guys could help you get it going if the price is right.

You'll have a hard time finding a surveyor in our area that knows anything about trawlers. The one I hired absolutely sucked, and cost me $500 for nothing.

If you decided to look at it, I'd be happy to offer advice as I know these boats inside and out, having spent nine years restoring mine. Until June I can be found most Saturdays in Building #2 at Anchor Pointe, finishing the Fall/Spring projects I have going, after that I am at dock I-35.

Good Luck, perhaps we will meet at Kelley's, or Put in Bay, or Middle Bass :-)

Alan Robbins

Thanks a lot for the heads up. Searched Y World, and was unable to locate the boat. Would like to check it out for sure.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #34

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the heads up. Searched Y World, and was unable to locate the boat. Would like to check it out for sure.
Drive over to Anchor Pointe (Off Corduroy road just East of Route 2), there's a long row of boats stored at Meinke, it's in the front row. Can't miss it.

I don't know the owner but have heard the story of the boat from a few people.

The folks at Mienke can probably fill you in.

It being a long Winter I haven't been down there yet, hope to be there on Saturday.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #35
Veteran Member

This is the boat for us. How much can you expect People to come down on a boat of this caliber. If 109 is the asking.............would 90 be totally insulting?

Used 1983 Defever 41 Trawler, Michigan - 48214 - BoatTrader.com
Old 04-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #36
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Quote:
This is the boat for us. How much can you expect People to come down on a boat of this caliber. If 109 is the asking.............would 90 be totally insulting?

That's in the ballpark of ask / offer on the boat we now own. Broker tried to get us to offer more (oc) and seller did counter but we got the boat for a similar % below asking.
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #37

Quote:

If the boat has been on the market for any length of time I'd start at 70
Old 04-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #38
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
good point from Sea Moose. When we bought our boat it had been listed for a month.
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #39

Sea moose says 70 and I agree but would add "don't come up"
It is only a single and a Perkinss and high hours, none of which are that bad but not so common or popular. Inside is just a tad tight because of the quasi cockpit

You might want to get on board a few to get a better feel before offering on any

Best wishes Bob
Old 04-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #40

This one is not all that far away - why not go aboard for comparison ?
Used 1987 Bestway 40 Labelle Trawler, Commerce Twp., Mi - 48382 - BoatTrader.com