Old 01-24-2016, 06:55 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
I believe River City Marina is the only Chicago Marina that allows year round liveaboard. What I would suggest is go to Holland and River City and talk to some living there year round.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:07 PM   #22
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. jw. Sir. I am aghast at your suggestion that I would or could EVER post anything other than subjects of a most genteel nature. I always carefully select my media commentary after prolonged and serious thought as to applicability and best taste.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:23 PM   #23
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Dear newbie pre boater and want to soon become mariner...

I applaud your interest and desire. As well as your capability of listening to what many experienced boaters here have intimated or straight out warned you about. If you were in a moderate climate, other than Chicago, I'd say damn the warnings... go full speed ahead into the boating world. However, having myself been deeply into using boats in LI NY and Maine's Penobscot Bay seasonally cold and/or hot climates, I strongly recommend that you spend at least a full year, with wife by your side, for you both to visit many for sale boats to see style/size of boat that pleases you and to speak with persons living aboard boats.

Also, what is your budget for purchase and annual expense??? Boating is not cheap!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:59 AM   #24

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: Don't know yet.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I believe River City Marina is the only Chicago Marina that allows year round liveaboard. What I would suggest is go to Holland and River City and talk to some living there year round.

VERY good advice. You will generally find a coffee house near the marina where the full timers come in the morning to thaw and yak.

Caution: One of them may try and sell you theirs so they can get the heck back to civilization.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:14 AM   #25
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
I think not mentioned above ref Q1: Some marine toilets are supplied with a pressurized fresh water feed.

Which in turn benefits from a shore-side water connection while in a marina... or subtracts from the total water supply in freshwater tanks while traveling or anchored.

A some have said, water supply while in a marina and connected to the shore-side hook-up: no problems... other than the cost of the boat and the marina... which might be about the same cost or more as a small apartment.

We have a two live-aboard couples in our marina. Well, actually we had two; one couple took their boat south, this winter, haven't heard their return date yet.

Typical problems reported have included:
- heat in the boat and lack thereof (much higher electricity bills, in their case; diesel may be better but their boats aren't suitable for that),
- ice on the docks,
- issues with running shore water from the service buildings a couple hundred feet to the boat (the marina turns off water on the docks so the lines don't freeze),
- periodic pump-out arrangements (no winter availability in our marina),
- and consequently much more usage of marina facilities to save on holding tank capacity.

That of course can mean some long, cold walks at midnight or 3 am or whatever. Note "ice on the docks" above.

These particular boats aren't large (one's a 42' express and the other is a 34' flybridge), so I'd say the total overall space they each have is something about like the living room and kitchen -- only -- of a small apartment. If that. Larger boats could improve that, of course...

-Chris
Old 01-25-2016, 11:44 AM   #26
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
A couple very good sources of info for all boaters will provide answers to most all questions about boat systems and best operating practices:

Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual by Nigel Calder

and

Chapman Piloting and Seamanship

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:50 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Naperville
Flywright: thanks, purchased both books.
ranger42c: marina city have a bubble system to prevent ice from foaming. But again, I think it takes a lot of guts to live on boat in Chicago winter.
chicagoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:43 AM   #28
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoq View Post
ranger42c: marina city have a bubble system to prevent ice from foaming. But again, I think it takes a lot of guts to live on boat in Chicago winter.

Yeah, I deploy my own de-icer when we over-winter the boat (not us, just the boat) in the water, which is most years.

That works OK around our own boat, but doesn't fix the whole marina... and doesn't address the water lines running just along the underside of the docks. Those are subject to freezing, so the marina has to shut down the freshwater system... and their pump-out system, for the same reason.

Many marinas are in the same boat, so to speak...

-Chris