Old 01-12-2019, 06:51 PM   #41
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
Well quite a lot of equipment is coming from there if not most of it, the difference is more about the quality control made on what is manufactured than the country of origin. Even in US and Canada or Europe some junk is manufactured by companies that prefer volume over quality.

L
Oh yea, my Kaiser auto turned to rust shortly after purchase.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:58 PM   #42
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
Well quite a lot of equipment is coming from there if not most of it, the difference is more about the quality control made on what is manufactured than the country of origin. Even in US and Canada or Europe some junk is manufactured by companies that prefer volume over quality.

L
Hence the qualifier "Non-brand name".

boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:10 PM   #43

City: Warwick RI
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
Is there someone in your area w a Mainship? We have had folks walk down the dock to look at ours (one came by dinghy while we were at anchor), we are always happy to show them around. If you see one go say hi and see if you can get a tour.

It is a good way to start. Also don't be afraid to take a road trip, we went 6hrs to Canadian boarder ( 5min and we knew that one was not for us)and a week later 8hrs to MD (bingo!) to check out boats. Enjoy the hunt
Lollygag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:00 PM   #44

City: St. Louis
Good advice. Thank you.
Steveandkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:04 PM   #45

I can get you on a number of Mainship 34 both fly and pilot next spring as we have an owners group in the cove. They are not for sale but you could see the options. Pm me if interested.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:24 PM   #46

Where is “the cove?” I doubt we will have pulled the trigger by then so this might be a great idea. Thanks!
Old 01-12-2019, 08:31 PM   #47

Warwick cove in RI. Bit icy now
Old 01-12-2019, 09:12 PM   #48

Gotcha. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:54 PM   #49
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
I said PARTS.
Where do you think Cummins/Onan Genuine Branded and Boxed genset stop/start solenoids are made? Look at the "PART". It`s made in China, boxed,imported and sold by Cummins. I can, and have bought and carry onboard, a proudly Chinese made spare, at one 1/5th of the Cummins price, delivered in one day from the local stock in Australia, of a Chinese seller. Would not be surprised if the same factory made both.
Are not whole refrigerators, and washers, and lots of appliances, built of PARTS, assembled together? Muir windlasses, made here, have Italian gearboxes and European made motors. And that range of component sources probably varies.
Years ago Japanese quality was poorly regarded. These days it is often "the standard". Same with Korean cars 20 years ago, but not now. It may be popular to rubbish China, for political/economic reasons etc etc, but quality is not all bad, and improving.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:46 AM   #50

As I am sure many of you are as well, I have been around long enough to verify what BruceK was saying about the historical quality of Japanese and Korean products. There was a time when products coming from this two countries were most definitely inferior. Not the case today! Politics aside, when it comes to a product or component that has any kind of tight technical standard, I am loath to purchase “it,” if it was manufactured in China. Just my opinion.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:17 AM   #51
Guru

City: gulf coast
IMO if you want to be happy with the boat you buy you must do a lot of homework. Climb aboard a lot of boats before you decide. After you buy you will see a lot of boats and you don't want to discover that you would have been happier with something else.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:49 AM   #52
Veteran Member

City: Manasquan NJ
Vessel Name: Mayrose
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 pilot
On one of our weekend boat searches in Wickford RI we found a great ice cream shop: The Inside Scoop in North Kingstown RI just off of route 1

https://www.theinsidescoopri.com/

The boats were a bust but the ice cream--- we still talk about.
Greg and Rosie
Beekeepergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:46 PM   #53

OK, good folks. We are taking all of this great input and advice into account. You may have read that the focus of our interest at this time is a 2004 - 2009 Mainship 34 Trawler. All of them but 1 we have looked at (on-line) have had both the flybridge control station and the helm station in the salon. We have found one on-line that looks great, but it is the only one of this model that only has the helm station up on the flybridge. What are the negatives you can tell us about with only having the flybridge helm or control station?
Old 01-13-2019, 08:55 PM   #54
Guru

City: Hampton, va
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: 2003 Ocean Alexander 456
If it gets rocky, it will really rock up there. I only drive the boat from the fly bridge, but I have stabilizers. Also, you will need to make sure the enclosure is sound unless you like driving in the rain and cold.

Gordon
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:31 PM   #55
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon J View Post
If it gets rocky, it will really rock up there. I only drive the boat from the fly bridge, but I have stabilizers. Also, you will need to make sure the enclosure is sound unless you like driving in the rain and cold.

Gordon
Agree with Gordon. The higher you are the more accentuated the roll ... and ... you can't keep watch (on the boat or your partner) while you make a pot of coffee.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:06 AM   #56

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Pilitak
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
IMO if you want to be happy with the boat you buy you must do a lot of homework. Climb aboard a lot of boats before you decide. After you buy you will see a lot of boats and you don't want to discover that you would have been happier with something else.
I agree wholeheartedly with Bayview!!!
As I have stated in earlier posts, don't rush into the first brand/model of boat that "looks nice" to you. First carefully look at what you want to do with said boat, decide on your wants (such as single or twin engine, gen set, watermaker), needs, and DON'T WANT (for your specific use).

Many people like their flybridge. Some love to operate their boat from their, especially in beautiful, calm weather. However, I know many people who have flybridges, and after using them, just don't anymore. They find it better (for their circumstances) to helm from the pilothouse or inside station if no pilothouse. Inside, you are protected from the wind and weather, closer to the head, galley, ER, etc., and better access to the deck for helping out when docking, anchoring, catching a mooring, etc. The first mate (person not driving the boat) may get tired of taking food and drinks up top, then having to take the dirty dishes and leftover back down to the galley. On some boats, access to the flybridge is difficult (only one ladder) and may be very difficult in a rolling seaway. Did someone mention the roll issue???
Personally, one of my WOULD NOT WANTS would be having to operate from a flybridge as the only option!
MainShips are good boats, but may not be the right boat for what you are proposing to use it for?? Don't know, only you can decide that.

All of the above is just my humble opinion
Good luck,
Tom
Old 01-14-2019, 04:36 AM   #57
Guru

Just my opinion.
I have no use for an upper steering station. Something about riding out a storm and a pendulum, so I would need to carry a bucket if I went up there.
Plus, one might wait too long to go inside due to bad weather then, you are stuck up there until the weather clears.
I see these fishing boats with Tuna Towers.... They are built for the young folks. Young folks always seem to have something to prove. Who do you think came up with, "Hey, watch this."? A young guy, no doubt.
I dont think I ever had anything to prove.
I like to be inside, dry, in the AC or heat and close to the food, coffee and HEAD.
It is not the fear of heights that bothers me. It is the fear of falling off.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:45 AM   #58
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveandkelly View Post
OK, good folks. We are taking all of this great input and advice into account. You may have read that the focus of our interest at this time is a 2004 - 2009 Mainship 34 Trawler. All of them but 1 we have looked at (on-line) have had both the flybridge control station and the helm station in the salon. We have found one on-line that looks great, but it is the only one of this model that only has the helm station up on the flybridge. What are the negatives you can tell us about with only having the flybridge helm or control station?
Seems odd... Luhrs/Mainship didn't do much in the way of customization. There are a few instances where they offered a lower helm in a boat model that otherwise wouldn't have had one... but going the other way (deleting a common construction feature) seems goofy.

Did they also eliminate the side door in that instance?

Maybe it wouldn't be impossible, or even all that difficult, to add lower helm controls where they would normally have been located, anyway.

-Chris
Old 01-14-2019, 07:19 AM   #59
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Seems odd... Luhrs/Mainship didn't do much in the way of customization. There are a few instances where they offered a lower helm in a boat model that otherwise wouldn't have had one... but going the other way (deleting a common construction feature) seems goofy.

Did they also eliminate the side door in that instance?

Maybe it wouldn't be impossible, or even all that difficult, to add lower helm controls where they would normally have been located, anyway.

-Chris
Chris, NOTHING is impossible if you have good techs, time and lots of money.
Why not start with a boat that has a lower steering station?
Old 01-14-2019, 08:28 AM   #60
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I built my 38 with both an upper and lower helm station. I find I run 95% from the lower station. Out of the elements, food, drinks, stereo, navigation electronics out of the weather, easy access to anchor and docking lines, less motion in the seas, etc, etc.

Nice to go up top sometimes in super weather and clear water. But would not like having to be up there all the time.

Lower stations fell out of favor with high HP faster boats, where it was not possible to see over the bow when angled up.

Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote