Newbie looking for a long range dive boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dive boat

Again, very well placed concern. I should have been clearer when describing my plans. While I am actively investigating travelling to some very remote areas I don't want to give the impression that I intend to buy a boat and set off for a 2000nm solo passage tomorrow. As I mentioned before, I'm happy to take measured and mitigated risks but I'm not on a quest to find the most dangerous or fool hardy activity I can survive (or otherwise)

I'm well aware that I'm not going to make all the correct decisions on day one. There will be a learning process, a development of skills and experience, and mistakes will be made. However, this is not enough for me to say that I would be better off just staying at home

Again, I should have explained my position more accurately. While I have admitted that I have no sailing experience, I have travelled, lived and worked in the areas I have described for the last 25 years. This does not make me immune to others aggression or my own stupidity but it wont be the first time I've seen ethnic or religious riots, threats against foreigners or even direct death threats.

This has not added to my thirst for adventure and thrill seeking. In fact, I have no interest in getting involved in other peoples disputes or becoming a source of aggravation for anyone. Put simply, I'm not interested in entering areas where there is a real risk of strife. However, I do feel that labeling he whole area as a no go area is an exaggeration.

Thanks again, Mike

I would never recommend just giving up and staying home. You have a great idea that is intriguing. I was just suggesting that you maybe have a five year plan. Get a certification, do a lot of chartering and crewing on different boats, move somewhere like Guam and gain some experience before buying.

Also, I’m not labeling the entire area as a no go. It’s not. But there are areas that are dangerous and going to these areas is asking for trouble. I’ve lived in the Philippines, Okinawa, Japan and have traveled extensively throughout Asia. Just got back from Thailand. I love the whole area. Just know before you go is all I’m saying.

I would never recommend just giving up and staying home. You have a great idea that is intriguing. I was just suggesting that you maybe have a five year plan. Get a certification, do a lot of chartering and crewing on different boats, move somewhere like Guam and gain some experience before buying.

Also, I’m not labeling the entire area as a no go. It’s not. But there are areas that are dangerous and going to these areas is asking for trouble. I’ve lived in the Philippines, Okinawa, Japan and have traveled extensively throughout Asia. Just got back from Thailand. I love the whole area. Just know before you go is all I’m saying.

Many thanks

I agree with your points. It looks so much easier on YouTube and Instagram......lol

Cheers. Mike

My evidence? Good grief, do you live under a rock? Indonesia, the Philippines, areas of Thailand, Vietnam etc have had numerous problems with pirates for years.

Petty theft is not Piracy
Big ships being attacked are not private yachts.
Abu Sayyaf is an issue as are MILF but as stated earlier, the areas they target are all are well documented if doing a small amount of research.
Certainly not enough of an issue to write off several countries as dangerous.

People get shot in America daily, do you also tell everyone don't travel in America and the surrounding countries as it is an incredibly dangerous place?

Last edited:
. Put simply, I'm not interested in entering areas where there is a real risk of strife. However, I do feel that labeling he whole area as a no go area is an exaggeration.

Thanks again, Mike

:thumb:

My evidence? Good grief, do you live under a rock? Indonesia, the Philippines, areas of Thailand, Vietnam etc have had numerous problems with pirates for years.

I'm curious what you've heard about Vietnam. I used to live there, am married to a Viet and we have chartered numerous boats as well. It's a strongly-controlled coastline from what I've seen and am unaware of piracy issues.

BTW, getting your private boat into VN for some fun cruising is extremely difficult and expensive and in my opinion, not really worth the effort. It's cheaper and easier to just fly there and have one of the most memorable vacations you've ever had in your life.

And if anyone is planning on going anytime soon, but is a bit shy, I'll be happy to be your "bag-boy" and carry your luggage, for just a ticket there :)

Many thanks

I agree with your points. It looks so much easier on YouTube and Instagram......lol

Cheers. Mike

You're agreeing with a lot of points, but I still haven't seen any sign that you fully appreciate all you don't know. That's not unusual. We don't know what we don't know often. However, you have years of training before being ready and I've yet to see any plan to obtain that training and experience. Let's just say for a moment you find the perfect boat. You still need to find the perfect captain and it's not you. A few years from the time you start, it might be you, but note I'm saying "years", not months or days.

I'm not sure why you would doubt that I realise that I am an absolute beginner in this project and process. It is the reason for me starting the thread and I've said it numerous times in my replies.

As I said previously I'm sure that mistakes will be made and surprises will pop up. My intention is to progress with competent guidance and hands on practice of increasingly more complex tasks. I certainly don't expect to set off on a passage making adventure tomorrow. I have no reason to doubt your estimate of this being years away (if indeed I have the required skills and attitude at all ? ) but I have to start somewhere.

All the best

I find the best training for a number of higher risk activities is progressive experience in adverse conditions. Much better than watching someone else make all the decisions and work all the controls. Of course, the key is to somehow not get in over your head.

I'm not sure why you would doubt that I realise that I am an absolute beginner in this project and process.

Because many folks come and go online, full of wild-eyed optimism. Ready to argue that they'll be the exception to the rules. Meanwhile folks with decades of experience and waning patience often stand ready to beat some sense into them. It's not you, per se, or your intentions. But with the advent of many youtubers meeting difficult ends (sinking off the Bahamas, reefs, etc) it's not like there isn't plenty of 'we told you so' justification to their grumpy responses.

Back
Top Bottom