Newbie looking for a long range dive boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will toss my hat into the ring for ideas, I've had a little bit of experience with these ideas.

Zero Asia diving experience; only North America, so I have not had to deal with vast ocean travel to arrive at some very interesting, and demanding diving. I've also done very little diving, relatively, on others boats. But, I have done small team diving in various places including small islands, deep open water, in the jungles, etc. I'll split up the response by type of vessel.

Early in the game, I arranged to rent a 42' T Tub trawler to deliver some 6 cave divers about 140 miles out to destination. In that era, lots of doubles were involved. I brought two dive compressors, both gas and electric. Due to draft, we actually did zero diving off the 42'. We only used it for the long distance transport vehicle, meals, sleeping, and used instead skiffs and inflatables to actually bring divers to various sites; whether they were jungle, tidal creeks, or even open ocean. We recharged tanks with the electric 8kW trawler genset.

On my smaller sportfish, I started the use of my current Avon inflatable. At one point, I kept the compressor on the big boat, and ran 20 foot recharge hoses onto the small boat. Absolutely no need to bring tanks and gear on/off the big boat, until we pack and leave.

Much later, the transport vessel was various, but usually not directly transporting kitted up divers. We improved our technology of diving, using side mounts, on-site nitrox continuous blending methods, and even did some mix diving into around 100m depth cave sites. Compressors got a bit larger, but still gas powered, and most times was operated in the field, at the site of interest. I realize that the schemes here are really about diving both inland and close to island sites, not usually on seamounts, or barrier reefs, etc. Some exceptions, but all in all, precious few dives actually off of larger boats. We did an Andros trip by renting small aircraft and slept in the jungle. We used a couple of inflatables to dive the barrier reef. I suppose if you ever try to maneuver a larger boat around in water divers, this may make more sense. Also, scanning for shipwrecks (if you don't have the exact marks) via larger boat, is just a hassle. So much easier with a 12' rib with a bottom machine. And, anchoring large boats in deep water, etc. I much prefer entering a soft boat in seas, than a hard boat.

Anyway, I'm close to winding down my latest search for a dive barge. It will be a cat sailboat, with twin inboard diesels. Mostly, just my wife and I, but will have various types flying in from other places. It will have sub 1 meter draft. The dink will continue to be key. I have a 10' Avon now that has propelled me to my most technical diving, ever. 3000' cave penetrations at 100' avg depth, laying line and surveying out. You might be impressed by how many scooters, stage tanks, and misc stuff one can fit on a 16' Carolina skiff or 10' inflatable. Even so, many dives took a day of gear transport, before the actual dives.

I suppose all this is taken from the folks at spanish wells, and other Bahamian fishing techniques. You have a mother ship to sleep on and fix stuff on, but all the fishing is done from the parade of small boats, in tow. There have been times even a 10' rubber boat is way too big and too much draft.

Generally speaking
If you can ping a 6lx powered 50 to 60 fter it'll get closer to 10lph
If you can't, if ex commercial, it'll likely have an 855 which will get closer to 15lph for that 7knotish speed.

From my extensive searching over the years,
Fiberglass in your size , price, range and comfort level for long distance live aboard cruiser is a unicorn unless stumping up near 4x your spend.
Aluminium is almost a unicorn and will likely have issues
Steel is possible but will likely have issues
Timber is very doable, may have issues so get it checked out.

On ours, to replicate the comfort level in fiberglass or steel would be seeing her closer to $1mill or more.
Then, I still need to find extra money to maintain and fuel her.

In timber, because of the far more affordable buy in, we have a lifetime of maintenance and fuel costs already banked.

Last edited:
I will toss my hat into the ring for ideas, I've had a little bit of experience with these ideas.

Thanks Dave. As a reference point for the conditions I will be heading into draft will seldom be an issue for the wrecks and walls. Most sit in 30+m of water. The coral may be shallower but a 3 m draft wouldn't be an issue. In the few places that it will be, I'd agree that the dingy can be put to good use.

Rebreathers radically cut down on the number of cylinders that need to be carried and refilled for deeper or longer dives. A major saving on space and electrical power requirements. 3 hour run time dives at 60 to 100m are not uncommon with minimal gas requirements. This would be a literal truck load of cylinders on twins sets and stages.

I'd agree that its surprising how little space is required once one is organized. Its another benefit of having my own set up.

Safe travels. Mike

In timber, because of the far more affordable buy in, we have a lifetime of maintenance and fuel costs already banked.

A valid point. Some of the navy vessels I mentioned are well, well short of $100k so the savings pay for a lot of diesel.

I'm still trying to get my head around what's nice to have vs must have. I've always been a fan of the 80/20 rule: 80% of the features wanted for 20% of the cost.

Thanks for your input. Mike

GoneDiving, I don’t recall what your purchase budget was, but have considered a new build over in India or Vietnam or Pakistan, etc. ? If you can take 8+ months off to live there and supervise a new wood trawler build then you could do it affordably. Simple and basic, but heavy and seaworthy.

Thanks Mike for feedback. Certainly everyone has their own measure of risk. I just cannot invision diving alone combined with no one left onboard the boat.

I hope you can find a boat in your price range that fills the requirements of your mission. I looked at the links in your first post but from a quick scan they don't appear to be designed to make long passages on open ocean. You mentioned 2,000 nm I think? But I don't know those makes at all so perhaps they do indeed.

Anyway keep us updated as you continue your search.

Nice boat! Classic Queensland pleasure trawler. Tidahapah and Eagle might approve too.

Great looking boat for sure.
90s build is the claim as well.
I'd hate to think what she actually owes the owner

GoneDiving, I don’t recall what your purchase budget was, but have considered a new build over in India or Vietnam or Pakistan, etc. ? If you can take 8+ months off to live there and supervise a new wood trawler build then you could do it affordably. Simple and basic, but heavy and seaworthy.

Certainly worth investigation. Indonesia is nearby and I know my way around there pretty well. Those go anywhere, typically 200% overloaded, supported by little more than a quick prayer to Allah.

Cheers

Consider looking for a trawler that can be used as for what you want to do. Everynow and then a nice one come up that would do what you want to do for a reasonable price

Pleasure Boats | Qld Fishing Brokerage

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/1997-brady-52-passagemaker/OAG-AD-496542/?Cr=15

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/2007-roberts-40/OAG-AD-16800135/?Cr=11

And this could be interesting if you have the skills to finish it off

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/nel...hed-genuine-interest-only-contact-/1145562893

Last edited:
Or how about this? You can have your own dive charter business already in the Philippines.
https://www.pgyc.org/classified/tourdiveboat.pdf
You want to seriously rethink single handing any boat in PNG or the Southern Philippines.
I work here in PNG and have a house in Mindanao Philippines.
It's not a case of if you are going to get attacked but when.

You bring up an interesting point.

There are times when I'm happy to solo dive, dive off unattended boats, dive in unfamiliar areas, dive in some treacherous conditions and (after building up the appropriate training and experience) sail solo handed, sail off into the unknown and visit some sketchy areas.

Would I do all of them at the same time? No way!!

Risks certainly need to be assessed and mitigated. To pile risk factor upon risk factor would be suicidal. I've refused to travel or dive in situations that i have not been comfortable in before and I'm happy to do it again.

Thanks. Mike.

PS. I've also worked in PNG and traveled in Mindanao. Some stunningly beautiful areas and great people but you certainly need to be aware of your surroundings and have your wits about you.

As more information and vessel options come to light, I've got a few questions on the details that I should be looking for.

Given that all are in good condition, would peoples' hull preferences be Fiberglass, steel, aluminium then wood in that order? I see FG as durable and easy to repair, steel as strong, easy to repair but subject to dissimilar metal and general corrosion, aluminium as corrosion resistant but prone to fatigue cracking that never really repairs/rewelds properly. I see wood as a money pit, needing constant maintenance and hard to source materials. There are some old ex navy vessels available that seem to fit the bill but with wooden hulls, should I avoid them?

Is there an age or operating hours after which boats deteriate rapidly? eg after 20 years houses often require new hot water heaters, kitchens and pumbing seemingly at the same time, cars seem to deteriate quickly after 250 to 300,000 kms etc. Is there a similar tipping point with boats? 7000 hours seems to be that point for land based generators, engines etc.

Some boats have many deck and roof levels. I'd prefer large flat cabin, cockpit and work areas. Similarly, I see boats with a large flat roof line offereing good tender, water toys and solar panel storage areas. How important are elevated lookouts, flybridges and the like? Are they most useful for fishermen to scan the horizon and manouver within tight marinas? I see the vast majority of my time at anchor, moored to a buoy or under steam.

Everyone's comments and thought are most welcome. Feel free to point out anythings that I may have missed.

Best Regards, Mike

For what your considering in remote locations my preferences would be in order, steel, fibreglass, aluminium and timber.

A good steel hull is much more durable and able to survive things like underwater impact damage. In remote locations if you carry a bit of shoring, steel plate and a welder it's easier to repair yourself or locally.

In the locales you're intending on sailing... I'd certainly carry an AK-47 and plenty of ammo.

Dive boat

Wow, No experience at all and you are going to be traveling 2000nm and sometimes single handing?
I don’t like to rain on parades or harsh dreams but that’s a recipe for disaster on so many levels.
First, with no actual experience, the boat you think you want or need probably isn’t the one you actually need. The features you think you want or need probably aren’t and features you haven’t even thought of yet you will find to be indispensable for what you will be doing. Only actual experience will teach you that.
I would seriously advise you to do some extensive chartering and get some experience under your belt. Then I would recommend you choose a place somewhere in the Pacific that fits your requirements, find a boat there that matches your needs, buy it and live on it for awhile and cruise/dive locally until you have enough experience under your belt to do what you are talking about.
Good luck.

Dive boat

Flybull’s point was well taken, that being that the waters Newbie is talking about plying, singlehandedly, are some of if not the most dangerous in the world. I was going to add that to my comments as well. Yet another reason to gain some knowledge and experience prior to embarking on such a venture.
I would consider Guam, the Northern Marianas or some such place to test the waters, so to speak.

Last edited:
Flybull’s point was well taken, that being that the waters Newbie is talking about plying, singlehandedly, are some of if not the most dangerous in the world.

Very small pockets of the vast expanse have had issues and those areas are well documented and easily avoided.
Most of it is trouble free and I personally know people who have cruised the areas for decades with unlocked boats, zero theft and zero problems.

I would suggest you do an awful lot of reading. I think you will find you boat requirements are about a million dollars short of what you need given safety, reliability and range.

You are going to need a crew for those multi day extended voyages.

You are going to need experience and certification which even with an intense comittment is maybe minimum 5 years.

I have been diving in Truk, Palau, Galopagus and throughout the Carribean. Location and access to many of these dive sites are for commercial licensed dive operators and would be either incredibly challenging or off limits to a private yacht.

The best if luck on achieving your dream. It's doable but certainly is not easy.

I have 50' boat we have customized for diving over the last 20 years of ownership, we have compressor, new gen set (to drive it and all our electric needs), solar, more fuel tankage, etc....operating boat is very much like diving more practice then theory. All the theory goes out the door when the seas get rough, or anchor drags at night , or a fuel filter clogs underway, or what ever else the loving sea and boat gods have up there sleeves. I would start renting or at least operating other people boats are crew, it easy to be passenger not so much being in charge or worse being solo and being in charge.

Just like diving only lots of dives helps you learn to control bounce, hand currents, navigate, deal with random unexpected events in cool calm manner, no class room has ever helped me on that....Just my two cents.

I would suggest you do an awful lot of reading. I think you will find you boat requirements are about a million dollars short of what you need given safety, reliability and range.
^^^^^^This
Does not match this vvvvvvvv ;)

The best if luck on achieving your dream. It's doable but certainly is not easy.

Dive boat

Very small pockets of the vast expanse have had issues and those areas are well documented and easily avoided.
Most of it is trouble free and I personally know people who have cruised the areas for decades with unlocked boats, zero theft and zero problems.

True, but that’s Anecdotal. The fact is that those waters are very dangerous. Read the other comments from people who live there. .

True, but that’s Anecdotal. The fact is that those waters are very dangerous.
And your evidence is?
Something real, not just anecdotal.
Read the other comments from people who live there.
The people who live in one small pocket of that vast area.?
Parts of the southern Philippines, parts of New Guinea and bits of Sulawesi are a very small % of the proposed cruising grounds

Last edited:
Dive boat

And your evidence is?

Parts of the southern Philippines, parts of New Guinea and bits of Sulawesi are a very small % of the proposed cruising grounds

My evidence? Good grief, do you live under a rock? Indonesia, the Philippines, areas of Thailand, Vietnam etc have had numerous problems with pirates for years.

There’s always someone who”knows a guy” who did this or that. There are plenty of ships transiting the Horn of Africa with no problems as well. Are you going to tell me that area is safe too?

The whole point was that there are some dangerous areas out there and when you add complete inexperience on a boat to cruising you are asking for trouble.

Wow, No experience at all and you are going to be traveling 2000nm and sometimes single handing?
I don’t like to rain on parades or harsh dreams but that’s a recipe for disaster on so many levels.

Good luck.

Again, very well placed concern. I should have been clearer when describing my plans. While I am actively investigating travelling to some very remote areas I don't want to give the impression that I intend to buy a boat and set off for a 2000nm solo passage tomorrow. As I mentioned before, I'm happy to take measured and mitigated risks but I'm not on a quest to find the most dangerous or fool hardy activity I can survive (or otherwise)

I'm well aware that I'm not going to make all the correct decisions on day one. There will be a learning process, a development of skills and experience, and mistakes will be made. However, this is not enough for me to say that I would be better off just staying at home.

Flybull’s point was well taken, that being that the waters Newbie is talking about plying, singlehandedly, are some of if not the most dangerous in the world.

True, but that’s Anecdotal. The fact is that those waters are very dangerous. Read the other comments from people who live there. .

Again, I should have explained my position more accurately. While I have admitted that I have no sailing experience, I have travelled, lived and worked in the areas I have described for the last 25 years. This does not make me immune to others aggression or my own stupidity but it wont be the first time I've seen ethnic or religious riots, threats against foreigners or even direct death threats.

This has not added to my thirst for adventure and thrill seeking. In fact, I have no interest in getting involved in other peoples disputes or becoming a source of aggravation for anyone. Put simply, I'm not interested in entering areas where there is a real risk of strife. However, I do feel that labeling he whole area as a no go area is an exaggeration.

Thanks again, Mike

And your evidence is?

My evidence? Good grief, do you live under a rock? Indonesia, the Philippines, areas of Thailand, Vietnam etc have had numerous problems with pirates for years.

There’s always someone who”knows a guy” who did this or that. There are plenty of ships transiting the Horn of Africa with no problems as well. Are you going to tell me that area is safe too?

The whole point was that there are some dangerous areas out there and when you add complete inexperience on a boat to cruising you are asking for trouble.

Guys, just pointing out that you seem to be in furious agreement:

Are there areas of the Pacific and elsewhere that are no go zones, not to be entered? Yes.

Are there areas of the Pacific and else where that require caution when entering? Yes

Are there areas of the Pacific and elsewhere the people regularly enter without concerns? Yes.

I have 50' boat we have customized for diving over the last 20 years of ownership, we have compressor, new gen set (to drive it and all our electric needs), solar, more fuel tankage, etc....operating boat is very much like diving more practice then theory. All the theory goes out the door when the seas get rough, or anchor drags at night , or a fuel filter clogs underway, or what ever else the loving sea and boat gods have up there sleeves. I would start renting or at least operating other people boats are crew, it easy to be passenger not so much being in charge or worse being solo and being in charge.

Just like diving only lots of dives helps you learn to control bounce, hand currents, navigate, deal with random unexpected events in cool calm manner, no class room has ever helped me on that....Just my two cents.

Thanks. I totally agree.

Theory and discussion is important but at some point actual practice needs to occur.

Reminds me of a trainer that I worked with that wanted to teach all my new truck drivers by PowerPoint presentations alone. He didnt stay long. ?

Or my favourite quote: "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face." Mike Tyson

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom