Old 05-24-2017, 07:23 PM   #1

City: Miami
Vessel Name: Cachimba
Vessel Model: Parker 2510
Post Newbie charters first trawler in Sarasota

Hi Everyone,

I've been doing quite a bit of research to get ready once I retire in a couple of years. My goal is a 45-50 FD Trawler, hopefully a well priced used Krogen.

Following most everyone's advise here I've taken a few classes and ready for our first charter on our own to see how we fit in. our first charter was in Grenada last year but with a Captain that had a very good knowledge of the area.

We are now chartering in Sarasota a 42 GB for a week in June before the Hurricane season kicks in full stride.

Was hoping to get some local area advise from the TF community that seems to have so much experience.

Our idea would be to anchor out most of the week on remote or as uninhabited as possible islands. We plan to head south as that seems to be less crowded than heading north to the Tampa bay area. We would like to go as far south as Ft. Myers but don't want to travel too much and prefer to spend more time in less places as we also want to relax.

We don't know this area and would appreciate some recommendations on nice sandy island we can anchor off and enjoy some swimming from the boat or dingy over to shore.

Any areas we should avoid to anchor out at night?

We also want to do some fishing for trouts and Reds (not sure if in season).

A night at a marina is not off the table as we might have to restock so any advise here would also be welcomed.

I hope I'm not asking too much, don't want to burn all my TF question credits as I will need lots of advise before I close on a trawler of my own.

Thanks all

Reefspotter
reefspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:09 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Head south and spend your time in the Boca Grande, Pine Island, Sanibel area.

There are good anchorages at Boca Grande, Pelican Bay at Punta Blanca island, in front of and behind Ussepa Island, near T'ween Waters Marina, etc. etc.

Your check out captain at Chitwood Charters should be able to fill you in on all that and more.

Then there is Active Captain of course.

Depending on how early a start you get you can make Boca Grande in one day. Otherwise there are a few anchorages on the way down there if you get a later start.

There are few nice sandy islands in the ICW. But you could anchor off the south end of Boca Grande and be off a beach. As well as off Cayo Costa island where the Pelican Bay anchorage is located.

Fishing is very good all down through those areas.

As to marinas, there are many to choose from but I'd recommend Boca Grande marina if you need to get to a grocery store to re-supply.

If you want the resort experience, check out South Seas.

You don't need to go as far as Ft. Myers to have a great time. Stay in and area the areas I've just outlined and you week will fly by.

In the nature of full disclosure, I managed Chitwood Charters for about 15 years back in the day.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:49 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Sounds like fun. The charter company probably will have lots of suggestions.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:00 AM   #4
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Capt. Bill nailed it. Also the Cayo Costa State Park has a day dock that allows you to access the Gulf Beach if you wish.
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:07 AM   #5
Guru

City: LI or Fla
How is sleeping anchored out that time of year?
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:37 AM   #6
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Warm without the gen.
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:46 AM   #7
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Welcome aboard!!!
If you have a dinghy add Englewood Beach between the White Elephant pub and Stump Pass St park, Don Pedro State Park (anchor north of the entrance) and Ft Myers Beach mooring field.
If you charter the 42 Motor Yacht, those 375 hp cats are thirsty even at slower speed.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:06 AM   #8
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
Warm without the gen.
That and there's a good chance of bugs if there is no breeze. So you'll need the gen for both reasons.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Bloomington/Manasota Key
There is a dock at Blind Pass Beach (Manasota Key Middle Beach)...just have to walk across the road.

Dredging at Stump Pass is done due to Turtle Nesting. Always a crowd at the end of Stump Pass State Park enjoying the beach/sandbars. Don't think I've seen a Trawler beached there but always lots of overnighters between the islands/keys directly east of Stump Pass SP. (Mostly up by the mooring field directly east of White Elephant.)

Enjoy,

Sidney
Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Bloomington/Manasota Key
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Welcome aboard!!!
If you have a dinghy add Englewood Beach between the White Elephant pub and Stump Pass St park,
Not sure I'd recommend this. You can tie up at Flounders but the docks don't float so it can be a climb up to the dock if the tide is out. Tried this in a kayak and cut the crap out of my feet when my shoe came off trying to climb up the concrete ramp which was slick but also covered in oysters. Also not sure they'd appreciate a dingy tied up to use the beach. The docks behind White Elephant are just for fishing and pretty sure not to tie boats to.

Again...I'd try Blind Pass Beach about 2 miles north.

Sidney
Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:51 PM   #11
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
Capt. Bill nailed it. Also the Cayo Costa State Park has a day dock that allows you to access the Gulf Beach if you wish.
I second this. You can pay a small fee and spend the night on the day dock, or just anchor anywhere in the bay and dinghy to shore. The park has a great beach and I think you can rent kayaks etc. Also you can anchor in Gulfport. The town is right there and there are shops, restaurants, and bars. And you could spend a week in St. Pete. I know you want some out of the way places but just thought I'd mention a few other places I liked.
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:53 PM   #12

Thanks Capt.Bill11, Great advice that's what I was looking for.

Definitely counting on A/C running Gen. Done enough camping in my youth now I like my creature comforts.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:03 PM   #13

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Welcome aboard!!!
If you have a dinghy add Englewood Beach between the White Elephant pub and Stump Pass St park, Don Pedro State Park (anchor north of the entrance) and Ft Myers Beach mooring field.
If you charter the 42 Motor Yacht, those 375 hp cats are thirsty even at slower speed.
Thanks High Wire. Englewood sounds great. I plan to cruise between 6-8 knots as the trawler I have in mind tops out at 8kts. Hope that keeps the burn rate down.

you mentioned Ft. Myers Beach mooring field. Never used a Mooring field in the States, do you need to pay before hooking up? Is it first come/first serve?
In Grenada before we finished tying up the ranger was there to collect his dues. does it work the same here in the States?

Thanks
Reefspotter
Old 05-26-2017, 02:57 AM   #14
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefspotter View Post
Thanks High Wire. Englewood sounds great. I plan to cruise between 6-8 knots as the trawler I have in mind tops out at 8kts. Hope that keeps the burn rate down.

you mentioned Ft. Myers Beach mooring field. Never used a Mooring field in the States, do you need to pay before hooking up? Is it first come/first serve?
In Grenada before we finished tying up the ranger was there to collect his dues. does it work the same here in the States?

Thanks
Reefspotter
At Englewood, turn west just south of the Tom Adams Bridge and follow the trail of anchored boats PAST the White Elephant and anchor near the Wantabe Inn before the SP entrance. Don't go past the park ranger dock. Thats called "Water Ski Alley". Shallow and wakes. Stump Pass SP has a nice beach and easy to reach by dinghy. Look for the park flagpole. Active Captain has all this info.

FMB mooring field; You call the Mantazas Inn and Marina by phone when you enter the harbor. They will usually give you a choice of 2 or 3 mooring balls. The lower #s are closer to the dinghy dock under the bridge. You sign in after you tie up. Yes, it is first come first serve. No reservations.
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:33 AM   #15
FF
Guru

"Definitely counting on A/C running Gen. Done enough camping in my youth now I like my creature comforts."

Far less hassle to tie to a marina than run a noisemaker all night just to breath canned air..

To anchor out quietly all that is required is a boat with hatches and screens .

In a short time the vessel will be water temperature , usually cool enough for fine sleeping.

Current internet water temps,

Vaca Beach FL84.9

Naples, FL84.0

Fort Myers, FL87.1

Port Manatee, FL82.9 °F
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:02 AM   #16
Guru

City: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefspotter View Post
We are now chartering in Sarasota a 42 GB for a week in June before the Hurricane season kicks in full stride.
Chitwood Charters?
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:53 AM   #17
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
A couple of words since your first time chartering in that area. When given multiple choices, select the one that is most comfortable and easiest. This isn't the time to search for the hidden jewel or find the least expensive marina or explore the shallow areas that are easy for those who live nearby. Get all the advice you can from Chitwood. They've been doing this a long time. Don't try to be valiant and brave and go without air conditioning and then either ruin your trip by the heat or the bugs. It's a pleasure trip and put the emphasis on pleasure. If you're told of somewhere interesting but getting there seems a challenge, that's a good place for next time perhaps.

Have a great time. Oh, and if you need help or need to ask a question at any point on your trip, don't hesitate to call Chitwood. Better to ask for help than to regret not doing so.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:28 PM   #18
Guru

City: gulf coast
Englewood can get busy. I have anchored in cape haze cove just north of the boca grande bridge several times.

Bridges monitor ch9
bridge list http://www.cruiserswiki.org/wiki/GICW

https://www.crowsnest-venice.com/ is an easy first day stop with a good restaurant to ease the crew into "roughing it"
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:46 PM   #19

City: Philadelphia
How do they determine​ if you have enough experience?

I have 10 years experience with 25ft Sea Ray on lake Michigan and power squadron class. Gave it up when we moved to Philly. Hoping to get back into a boat. Possibly in the upper Chesapeake
Greencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:02 PM   #20
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greencat View Post
How do they determine​ if you have enough experience?

I have 10 years experience with 25ft Sea Ray on lake Michigan and power squadron class. Gave it up when we moved to Philly. Hoping to get back into a boat. Possibly in the upper Chesapeake
They typically would ask you questions. Based on the resume you just gave, I think they would want you to go your first time with a captain. Now, that could possibly prepare you to go alone next time.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
local knowledge, newbie, sarasota